Sign in to follow this  
buddyev

Technics SL 23

Anyone know anything about this TT?

It belongs to my neighbour. He's had it for 40 years and doesn't use it. It works but hums and he's wondering whether to fix it or pass on to someone who might use it.

Seems like a well made TT. Is it worth anything?

Cart is in good nick i think and looks like an Audio-Technica AT 91 

@djb

IMG_0532.thumb.JPG.ed57180a308b70a272b698d1735b43db.JPG

IMG_0535.thumb.JPG.5db8e4d3cf3ab831193476ba50b2f9cc.JPG

Edited by buddyev

My understanding is that this belt-drive is quite a reasonable turntable.  Not at the high-end of the Technics range, but certainly above the cheap+nasty consumer level.  Would certainly be worth cleaning up and repairing.  The hum could be a dislodged earth wire that needs to be soldered back in place. It would be a very competent turntable correctly set up, that could give someone much pleasure. 

My father bought an SL-23 new in about 1977. He still has it and it's going strong.

From memory it was a mid-level TT at the time he bought it.

Agree with all the above posters. Great sounding turntable for the money and cart-changing options too. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By blybo
      Item: ProJect 2Xperience SB
      Price: $999 firm (RRP is $2000)
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: Upgraded
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: I bought this off a SNA member around 18 months ago (he was first owner) and had owned it for roughly 6 months from memor
      Project screw on record clamp, upgraded Cardas tone-arm wire, highly regarded Audio Technica 440MLb cartridge, all original accessories and original packing, More information here https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/2xperience-sb/

I also have a separate ad for the Aurealis phono cable I'll be putting up shortly that I've always used with this. Prefer local pick up as it's had the set up fine tuned by a few of the local SNA Vinyl heads and don't wish to put that to waste by packing it up.

Being a busy fella who travels for work a fair bit, I'd say I've only played somewhere between 75 and 100 albums since owning this. I found it a massive upgrade from the ProJect Xpression 3 Carbon I owned previously. Much better isolated motor giving lower noise floor. It also has an electronic speed box controller built in (hence SB in title) as compared with older Project tt's and easily switches from 33's to 45's at the push of a button, no swapping pulleys etc.

In the right (wrong?) light there are very fine polishing swirl marks on the removable acrylic cover, as shown up by my camera in the last photo with a bright light directly above, but they are not readily noticeable in situ. I think these are largely unavoidable if you dust/clean your gear regularly. Otherwise it is unmarked.
      Pictures:

• By brownemi
      Item: Music Hall (as new) MMF-2.2 turntable in white, with a brand new Ortofon OM10 cart and a Supex  SM100 mk3 moving magnet cart (extra cost option) 
      Price: $350 $300 firm (plus shipping) with the new OM10 cart or $475 $400 firm (plus shipping) with both carts .
      Item Condition: excellent, little use (less than 10 hrs) and would suit a buyer looking for a new TT.
      Reason for selling: NLR, was in second system in bedroom but just sat there, before going back in box for last 2 years. Now clearing out all extra gear not being used
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank dep
      Extra Info: TT comes with original packing box and manuals, etc. these have great reviews and has the very nice Project tonearm, which is better than its rivals. The Supex is also in v good condition, low use and is a classic MM cart. Paired with the MMF2.2 this is a great budget combo that holds its own against more expensive TTs. The OM10 is also great sounding but a level down from the Supex 
       https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/music-hall-mmf-22-turntable. Here’s a SNA review on the TT, but not with the Supex 

Pictures:

• By robio_d
      Item:  Origin Live Resolution MK1 Turntable
      Price: AUD $2000 shipping including
      Item Condition: Good, small scratches on piano gloss finish
      Reason for selling: Not getting used!
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Relisting with just the Turntable with a price drop also.  Absolute bargain for a TT of this caliber.  Price includes any shipping, local pick up gets an NZD $200 discount.  Decided to keep the OL silver arm, which makes the TT more affordable and meant I can drop the price a bit more too.  To be honest this TT deserved a much higher arm than the silver, and you real vinyl nuts probably have oodles of arms stashed everywhere and usually prefer your own weapon of choice!

Pictures:

• By fish
      Item:  ProJect TT with AT440MLA Cart
      Price: $375
      Item Condition: Excellent with Clear moulded cover and Original box and Record Clamp.
      Reason for selling: Going Digital
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, EFT  PLUS Shipping
      Extra Info: Bought from SNA a while back. I thought I'd stick my toe back into Vinyl, but decided its not for me.
      Also have a Schitt Mani MC/MM preamplifier available if this sells. $150. Also Excellent with Original box.
      I've been told the AT440MLA is worth as much as I am asking for the entire TT. Played a couple of records, Cart souns great. Not noisy. Its had liitle use I think.

Happy to Ship anywhere

Pictures: