stockholm

Integrated Amp Help.. <$1500

38 minutes ago, wen said:

Exposure 2010S2D

Awesome Wen. This unit has some very positive reviews. I will look into it !!

Hi mate,

Great speakers which I have myself. 

I would suggest trying to listen and see as much as you can. There are some very good stores in Syd with knowledgeable staff.

I have a previous flagship Denon AVR and it is beaten by everything else I own for music with all my speakers. Even a cheaper Cambridge Audio 551R is much better for music.

Unfortunately I haven't tried the speakers with many other things than that which I own but they're pretty easy to drive and there are many used integrateds on here from time to time that would be great. Maybe even look into one with HT bypass to keep some functionality and your AVR? Just an option.

If you could find something like this I am sure you'd be very happy

Try to get a good amp and think about your DAC/streaming options later on. You can do this cheaply in the mean time with something like a Chromecast. Just remember though that from TV not all movies etc will have audio if the audio codec is Dolby etc but I think you can force some TVs into PCM?

Anyways be patient and go out and listen as much as you can. There is some good options above too.

Hey Bunno,

Mate this is sage advice.

Interestingly, that is a good point in relation to TV / audio codecs. I was speaking to the guys at Addicted to Audio in Newtown, and they warned me about the same thing. Apparently a fair amount of Netflix content is hard coded in Dolby.

You know, I still find myself obsessing about the Kef LS50 Wireless, and that detail in the highs.

Living in inner Sydney, space in my apartment is limited so trading in or selling the Epos's might be the go..

44 minutes ago, stockholm said:

Apparently a fair amount of Netflix content is hard coded in Dolby.

As mentioned above, check that your TV can force 2ch PCM. I did this with a 4-year-old Samsung and watch Netflix through my integrated every day. Either my TV transcodes it on the fly, or both streams are mandatory as with bluray, because I have never encountered something that wouldn't play.

For reference, here are the settings in question on my Samsung TV and on my Panasonic Blu-ray player. I use both for Netflix, of and on, into a Rotel integrated (optical from the TV, Coax from the BD player) and everything is hunky dory. Admittedly the Panasonic does have a good analogue RCA out that I can use if all else fails, but so far, it hasn't proved necessary.

I can also confirm that the Rotel has no ability to process anything other than PCM. When I first hooked up the Panasonic I was greeted with a wall of high-pitched static because the output was set to Dolby. Frantic remote mashing ensued.

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

Great speakers which I have myself. 

@Bunno77 so what are you running to power your current Epic 5's ?

Do you get accurate high's to accompany the warm tones and lows that these speakers give? 

I've used them with everything in my signature. The Cambridge 551r and Marantz PM15 are great with them and can be found in your budget but maybe they don't suit. On my McIntosh they're incredible but definitely overkill. 

The highs can sound fantastic and they do on all but the Denon. Accurate is relative and they come close to more expensive speakers but everything has a limit at it's price. 

Active Kef LS50s would be great with a sub. Subs aren't all about bass and make for a more natural sound. I've had more time with the passives. On cheaper amps they can be fatiguing. Not sure if the actives will be the same but as sub will help. 

I'd def suggest to go to Lifestyle Store, Apollo, Audio Connection. There are a few others in Syd too. Listen to as much as you can. Try to borrow some amps. It's an eye opener what getting away from the main AVR manufacturers brings. 

In actives I would choose Dynaudio Xeo/Focus XD. Though they aren't as all in one for streaming as the Active Kef but it can still be done pretty easy and cheap. The Dyns can also be run wirelessly and don't need an interconnect between speakers. 

8 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

I'd def suggest to go to Lifestyle Store, Apollo, Audio Connection.

Thanks Bunno. Yes Apollo is my go to and is actually where I bought my Epics. I planned to drop in today and have another listen to the Kef's. At the moment, I've whittled it down to the CXA60 and the Kef actives. Thanks for your help.

Nice choice mate. Consider the cxa80. The extra power will help and it also has usb which could be better in time for streaming if you add something like a raspberry pi, pc or other

Try look at the Cyrus one hd too