Integrated Amp Help.. <$1500

Hi Guys,

I'm exploring the option of replacing my Denon AVR-1400H with a decent integrated amp to make proper use of my Epos Epic 5 floors.

I bought the 1400H to future proof for movie watching, but what I am finding is that most time spent is listening to music rather than utilising all of the new fandangle HT functionality such as ATMOS etc.

The AVR has all the connectivity which I need i.e Spotify Connect, Apple Airplay, HDMI Arc (for TV listening) which is great, but I feel that I am missing out on the potential of these great speakers.

Can anyone suggest a few starting points which hit the brief in terms of  :

1. Pairing with Epos Epic 5

2. Streaming connectivity

3. Optical In (TV)

A couple of options I am considering are Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Audiolab...

I should also mention that I am also looking at selling everything, and buying a pair of KEF LS50W so feel free to tell me I'm mad if I do this !

Thanks

Edited by stockholm

2 hours ago, stockholm said:

I am also looking at selling everything, and buying a pair of KEF LS50W so feel free to tell me I'm mad if I do this !

How much do you like bass? If the answer is "a lot", I'd listen to the LS50Ws before selling up. I used to think LS50s were where I would end up, but an extensive listen among other similarly priced speakers convinced me otherwise. They're not for everyone. Not sure if the Ws add anything in the bass department, but I can't see it making too much difference to the bass extension (vs bass control). Someone who actually owns them can probably set me straight on that. 

As for which amp if you don't go the LS50W route, I don't know the speakers other than that they need an amp capable of 4ohm loads. Streaming amps that come to mind in that price range are NAD and Yamaha, but I have no idea what the pairing would be like. 

As always, you can chuck a Chromecast audio on the back of a non-streaming amp if need be. 

Hi, 

the good news is that you are not mad. I ordered to find what you are looking for you need to audition as many as you can speakers and amplifiers. Speakers first. Take your favourite CD and visit  your local hifi schops or manufacturers. 

2 hours ago, twofires said:

How much do you like bass? If the answer is "a lot", I'd listen to the LS50Ws before selling up. I used to think LS50s were where I would end up, but an extensive listen among other similarly priced speakers convinced me otherwise. They're not for everyone. Not sure if the Ws add anything in the bass department, but I can't see it making too much difference to the bass extension (vs bass control). Someone who actually owns them can probably set me straight on that. 

As for which amp if you don't go the LS50W route, I don't know the speakers other than that they need an amp capable of 4ohm loads. Streaming amps that come to mind in that price range are NAD and Yamaha, but I have no idea what the pairing would be like. 

As always, you can chuck a Chromecast audio on the back of a non-streaming amp if need be. 

So this morning I auditioned the Kef LS50W, using Spotify as my source.

They sounded very bright, and almost harsh at high volumes.

It might be that I am just not used to this and my ears have been accustomed to the warmth and low end of my Epics.

If I could marry up the high frequency accuracies of the Kef and the mids/lows of my existing Epic 5's it would be perfect !

11 minutes ago, stockholm said:

So this morning I auditioned the Kef LS50W, using Spotify as my source.

They sounded very bright, and almost harsh at high volumes.

The KEFs are known to be slightly on the brighter side, though quite detailed.

Edited by anandpkumar

15 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

So do you find the Epic's a little dull/unexciting?

Hi Blakey72. 

Thats a good question. Its difficult to answer, as I am powering them with a low to mid tier AVR receiver. The Denon AVR-1400H does a good job, with all of the processing applied.

But I feel that if I gave them decent amplification, it could open up the high end notes.

In other words I feel have't reached their full potential. 

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I've read some reviews and they seem to be very positive. The receiver would be the bottleneck for sure in my opinion. I think some good clean power will make them sing. I've used receivers on my speakers before and had the same result. A little dull and boring. An integrated instead was night and day.

I'm reading on some forums about good matches with the Epics so I'll get back to you with what I find. Would you consider second hand or would you prefer new?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I'm reading on some forums about good matches with the Epics so I'll get back to you with what I find. Would you consider second hand or would you prefer new?

Thats awesome, thanks very much.

On the brand new vs second hand front, i'd be open to both options to be honest.

If the integrated amp was a little aged i'd obviously have to explore some kind of external streamer/dac but its not out of the question..

Ok. I've read 4 or 5 different threads/articles on this topic and the amp that comes up the most is Creek. Even on the Creek website it say's Epic 5 are a good match. I found this which is a demo model. It says pickup only but it is Selby so surely they can box it up and post.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Creek-Evolution-50A-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-RRP-1999-00/302815148123?hash=item468130785b:g:EjIAAOSwGdhbRq48:rk:2:pf:0

You'll need a Streamer/dac but we can look at that. I'll keep looking anyway to see if there's better.

• Like 1

I have had the Epos Epic 5 matched with a Rega Brio and a Primaluna Valve amp with good results. I suggest a amplifier upgrade is the way to go as well.

In-fact mine are up for sale in classifieds only because I have upgraded to Monitor Audio speakers, however i did enjoy the Epos for a few years great speakers for their value.

Define what you need by "streaming?"

The Nuprime IDA-8 review very well for their price and fall just in your price range, and are listed in TAS's audiophile bargains (whether that's a good thing or bad thing to you, I don't know):

https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/ida-8/?v=6cc98ba2045f

Local distributor:

http://www.mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?categoryId=1232&amp;productId=261552

Edited by Ittaku

Hi mate,

Great speakers which I have myself. 

I would suggest trying to listen and see as much as you can. There are some very good stores in Syd with knowledgeable staff.

I have a previous flagship Denon AVR and it is beaten by everything else I own for music with all my speakers. Even a cheaper Cambridge Audio 551R is much better for music.

Unfortunately I haven't tried the speakers with many other things than that which I own but they're pretty easy to drive and there are many used integrateds on here from time to time that would be great. Maybe even look into one with HT bypass to keep some functionality and your AVR? Just an option.

If you could find something like this I am sure you'd be very happy

Try to get a good amp and think about your DAC/streaming options later on. You can do this cheaply in the mean time with something like a Chromecast. Just remember though that from TV not all movies etc will have audio if the audio codec is Dolby etc but I think you can force some TVs into PCM?

Anyways be patient and go out and listen as much as you can. There is some good options above too.

Hey Bunno,

Mate this is sage advice.

Interestingly, that is a good point in relation to TV / audio codecs. I was speaking to the guys at Addicted to Audio in Newtown, and they warned me about the same thing. Apparently a fair amount of Netflix content is hard coded in Dolby.

You know, I still find myself obsessing about the Kef LS50 Wireless, and that detail in the highs.

Living in inner Sydney, space in my apartment is limited so trading in or selling the Epos's might be the go..

44 minutes ago, stockholm said:

Apparently a fair amount of Netflix content is hard coded in Dolby.

As mentioned above, check that your TV can force 2ch PCM. I did this with a 4-year-old Samsung and watch Netflix through my integrated every day. Either my TV transcodes it on the fly, or both streams are mandatory as with bluray, because I have never encountered something that wouldn't play.

• Like 2

For reference, here are the settings in question on my Samsung TV and on my Panasonic Blu-ray player. I use both for Netflix, of and on, into a Rotel integrated (optical from the TV, Coax from the BD player) and everything is hunky dory. Admittedly the Panasonic does have a good analogue RCA out that I can use if all else fails, but so far, it hasn't proved necessary.

I can also confirm that the Rotel has no ability to process anything other than PCM. When I first hooked up the Panasonic I was greeted with a wall of high-pitched static because the output was set to Dolby. Frantic remote mashing ensued.

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

• Like 1