stockholm

Integrated Amp Help.. <$1500

Hi Guys,

I'm exploring the option of replacing my Denon AVR-1400H with a decent integrated amp to make proper use of my Epos Epic 5 floors.

I bought the 1400H to future proof for movie watching, but what I am finding is that most time spent is listening to music rather than utilising all of the new fandangle HT functionality such as ATMOS etc.

The AVR has all the connectivity which I need i.e Spotify Connect, Apple Airplay, HDMI Arc (for TV listening) which is great, but I feel that I am missing out on the potential of these great speakers.

Can anyone suggest a few starting points which hit the brief in terms of  :

1. Pairing with Epos Epic 5

2. Streaming connectivity

3. Optical In (TV)

A couple of options I am considering are Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Audiolab...

I should also mention that I am also looking at selling everything, and buying a pair of KEF LS50W so feel free to tell me I'm mad if I do this !

Thanks

Edited by stockholm

2 hours ago, stockholm said:

I am also looking at selling everything, and buying a pair of KEF LS50W so feel free to tell me I'm mad if I do this !

How much do you like bass? If the answer is "a lot", I'd listen to the LS50Ws before selling up. I used to think LS50s were where I would end up, but an extensive listen among other similarly priced speakers convinced me otherwise. They're not for everyone. Not sure if the Ws add anything in the bass department, but I can't see it making too much difference to the bass extension (vs bass control). Someone who actually owns them can probably set me straight on that. 

As for which amp if you don't go the LS50W route, I don't know the speakers other than that they need an amp capable of 4ohm loads. Streaming amps that come to mind in that price range are NAD and Yamaha, but I have no idea what the pairing would be like. 

As always, you can chuck a Chromecast audio on the back of a non-streaming amp if need be. 

Hi, 

the good news is that you are not mad. I ordered to find what you are looking for you need to audition as many as you can speakers and amplifiers. Speakers first. Take your favourite CD and visit  your local hifi schops or manufacturers. 

2 hours ago, twofires said:

How much do you like bass? If the answer is "a lot", I'd listen to the LS50Ws before selling up. I used to think LS50s were where I would end up, but an extensive listen among other similarly priced speakers convinced me otherwise. They're not for everyone. Not sure if the Ws add anything in the bass department, but I can't see it making too much difference to the bass extension (vs bass control). Someone who actually owns them can probably set me straight on that. 

As for which amp if you don't go the LS50W route, I don't know the speakers other than that they need an amp capable of 4ohm loads. Streaming amps that come to mind in that price range are NAD and Yamaha, but I have no idea what the pairing would be like. 

As always, you can chuck a Chromecast audio on the back of a non-streaming amp if need be. 

So this morning I auditioned the Kef LS50W, using Spotify as my source.

They sounded very bright, and almost harsh at high volumes.

It might be that I am just not used to this and my ears have been accustomed to the warmth and low end of my Epics.

If I could marry up the high frequency accuracies of the Kef and the mids/lows of my existing Epic 5's it would be perfect !

11 minutes ago, stockholm said:

So this morning I auditioned the Kef LS50W, using Spotify as my source.

They sounded very bright, and almost harsh at high volumes.

The KEFs are known to be slightly on the brighter side, though quite detailed.

Edited by anandpkumar

The reason might be switching from floorstanders to bookshelves. From overseas brands try Focal Aria 926,936 and PMC 25.23. 

So do you find the Epic's a little dull/unexciting?

15 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

So do you find the Epic's a little dull/unexciting?

Hi Blakey72. 

Thats a good question. Its difficult to answer, as I am powering them with a low to mid tier AVR receiver. The Denon AVR-1400H does a good job, with all of the processing applied.

But I feel that if I gave them decent amplification, it could open up the high end notes.

In other words I feel have't reached their full potential. 

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I've read some reviews and they seem to be very positive. The receiver would be the bottleneck for sure in my opinion. I think some good clean power will make them sing. I've used receivers on my speakers before and had the same result. A little dull and boring. An integrated instead was night and day.

I'm reading on some forums about good matches with the Epics so I'll get back to you with what I find. Would you consider second hand or would you prefer new?

13 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I'm reading on some forums about good matches with the Epics so I'll get back to you with what I find. Would you consider second hand or would you prefer new?

Thats awesome, thanks very much.

On the brand new vs second hand front, i'd be open to both options to be honest.

If the integrated amp was a little aged i'd obviously have to explore some kind of external streamer/dac but its not out of the question..