Das Boot mini series on SBS.

Ooooooo I'm excited for this and will give it a watch for sure. By the looks of it, the SBS version is done in English, where the above trailer is German. If this is the case it'd be a pity, I'd much rather watch it in German with subtitles to keep with the authenticity of it. 

None the less....very interested indeed! 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 9:44 AM, Graceman said:

Yes, as I recall the mini series was in black and white and was one of the most atmospheric series I have ever watched - gripping stuff.

The series was excellent but it was colour rather than black and white. There wasn't much actual colour there as it was a miserable grey life but it wasn't monochrome.

To be honest I can't see why it has been remade as the original hasn't aged one bit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hergest said:

To be honest I can't see why it has been remade as the original hasn't aged one bit.

With this sequel it will hopefully show a more complete view of the war of the atlantic as it impacts the men of ''das boot" . Its all meant to be as authentic as possible so with the 1st phase of the war over [when Otto Kretschmer et al had their heyday]  ; the 2nd phase with long range Catalina flying boats with depth charges ; better convoy tactics enigma codes and the like with younger less experienced recruits  the war becomes even more dangerous for these less seasoned sailors ; likely more psychologically challenged as the allies get the upper hand..:cool:

With the added layer of the people back homes interaction as well it may be more broad in its appeal ? we'll see

• Like 1

I, too, hope the dialogue is in German. Below is a quote from Variety

“Das Boot” is set in the fall of 1942, months after Wolfgang Petersen’s 1981 movie ended. The tide is turning against the German war effort after the Allies solve the Enigma code and opposition to the Nazis intensifies. It tells dual stories: there is the journey of the U-boat,  and the story of the Resistance movement in La Rochelle. The multilingual series was filmed in German, French and English".

• Like 4

10 hours ago, cwt said:

With this sequel it will hopefully show a more complete view of the war of the atlantic as it impacts the men of ''das boot" . Its all meant to be as authentic as possible so with the 1st phase of the war over [when Otto Kretschmer et al had their heyday]  ; the 2nd phase with long range Catalina flying boats with depth charges ; better convoy tactics enigma codes and the like with younger less experienced recruits  the war becomes even more dangerous for these less seasoned sailors ; likely more psychologically challenged as the allies get the upper hand..:cool:

With the added layer of the people back homes interaction as well it may be more broad in its appeal ? we'll see

Okay, that makes sense then. Watching the trailer made me think they were just elongating the original and adding some extra human interest in the shape of women for the sake of it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

I, too, hope the dialogue is in German. Below is a quote from Variety

“Das Boot” is set in the fall of 1942, months after Wolfgang Petersen’s 1981 movie ended. The tide is turning against the German war effort after the Allies solve the Enigma code and opposition to the Nazis intensifies. It tells dual stories: there is the journey of the U-boat,  and the story of the Resistance movement in La Rochelle. The multilingual series was filmed in German, French and English".

Is there some ways of contacting sbs to ask the question ?

i Prefer native language productions than dubs

• Like 1

series one 8 episodes are up on sbs on demand

IMG_7529.JPG

I watched about 10 min and some great news folks it is in GERMAN ! woohoo !  with english subtitles.

and has all the grit of the original movie, I was hoping it wasnt some sanitised tv mini series or something :)

look forward to watching tonight :)

• Like 3

Watched 1st couple of episodes. It’s good stuff ! I’m liking how played out. Much to my surprise my wife joined me in watching as well. The French resistance / uboat parallel stories are going along nicely. Good acting good character building plenty of grit !

we’ll probably watch another episode tonight

ps pq/aq is a bit starved by sbs on demand which is a pity. Wonder if can get this on blu-ray

• Like 2

11 hours ago, betty boop said:

Watched 1st couple of episodes. It’s good stuff ! I’m liking how played out. Much to my surprise my wife joined me in watching as well. The French resistance / uboat parallel stories are going along nicely. Good acting good character building plenty of grit !

we’ll probably watch another episode tonight

ps pq/aq is a bit starved by sbs on demand which is a pity. Wonder if can get this on blu-ray

Yes Al ; even more invested in the poor radio operator now he was roped in to joining the sub as was his sister with the underground ; its not all black and white when you want a u boat crewman to survive :)

Very realistic ; didn't use the Catalina for the depth charge attack like I guessed but a short sunderland instead :o :)

• Like 1

Watched 3 episodes tonight - it’s really good. 

Yes, I noticed the Sunderland. It was one of my first airfix models, after the spitfire of course. I suspect catalinas were used mainly in the pacific. 

• Like 2

On 13/12/2018 at 10:47 AM, betty boop said:

Yeh 2 channel audio only, what a bummer. Will probably hold out until bluray too, haven’t watched the movie for ages but remember the surround sound was awesome for its day, made you feel like you were in the sub.

It is supposed to be streamed in all its glory on Hulu. I couldn't wait for that to happen  and managed to download  the series in 1080p and 5.1 audio.  I  want to watch  on the big screen with projector and  didn't think SBS on demand would do it.   

Original movie is a true classic.