rocky500

House Alarm system with pics sent to mobile of events

Not sure what Alarm system to get for my house before Christmas.

Hoping others might be able to chip in with some info on alarms.

I was going to spend around 1K when I started looking but got a quote and info on a Risco Wireless alarm that seems to have great features.

The only thing is the alarm is all wireless. Need batteries in everything. Would prefer hard wired but the features are very good. Also have to pay $20 a month for Risco cloud to store pics of past events I think.

It is a Risco Wireless Alarm - Agility3 Package GSM. Over $2K with 5x RF Pet Motion PIR with Still Camera

The good thing is on any event, I will get a pic or few pics of what set off the alarm as the PIR's have a still camera in them.

Can then disable the alarm going off with my mobile if it is a false alarm.

Has 2 Key fobs to make arming and disarming easy.

Edited by rocky500

Might cost a bit more, but what about a monitored back to base Fire/Security system.

Not sure who you have in WA, but I briefly worked for one of the larger companies here in QLD, after initial cost of the system it was about 30 bucks a month for back to base monitoring with mobile guard response, you could dictate who they call for response, be it police, mobile guard or you could just have them call you.

Hard wired (at least for the mob I was with), and the bonus of it also being a fire alarm system.

The Co I was with were well known commercial security Co but later ventured into home systems.

Edited by Muon N'

I have Hikvison cameras HIKVISION DS-2CD2142FWD-I from Ebay for around $244 each.

They have motion detection and they will send a notification to my phone and I can either see a photo or playback a video, I am very impressed with them.

16 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Might cost a bit more, but what about a monitored back to base Fire/Security system.

Not sure who you have in WA, but I briefly worked for one of the larger companies here in QLD, after initial cost of the system it was about 30 bucks a month for back to base monitoring with mobile guard response, you could dictate who they call for response, be it police, mobile guard or you could just have them call you.

Hard wired (at least for the mob I was with), and the bonus of it also being a fire alarm system.

The Co I was with were well known commercial security Co but later ventured into home systems.

I would like it to contact me direct in case family members set off the alarm and I can then disable it quickly. Or even false alarms, so its not going constantly.

Would be ideal not to have to pay a ongoing fee too.

4 minutes ago, halfordd0 said:

I have Hikvison cameras HIKVISION DS-2CD2142FWD-I from Ebay for around $244 each.

They have motion detection and they will send a notification to my phone and I can either see a photo or playback a video, I am very impressed with them.

Starting to think a CCTV setup plus alarm might be better.

3 hours ago, rocky500 said:

Starting to think a CCTV setup plus alarm might be better.

I think it's great, you can set the area that needs to be alarmed or zoned for when someone enters and a notification gets set to your phone where it records for 1 minute. Great for when I get deliveries,  I can race home if I'm able to.

The cameras are POE (power over ethernet) so just need to run ethernet cable to them. I don't bother with recording to a hard drive or nas. I just put a 64G SD card into camera and they record for 20 days on a continuous cycle.

I've got is a standalone HikVision CCTV and a separate NESS alarm system.

The CCTV cameras run 24/7, with battery backup, and together with HikVision app shows realtime or can playback past events.

I frequently see leaves moving outside and the CCTV (which captures on motion) starts recording. I also get frequent bugs flying in and around the cameras which also sets off the cameras. Can't stop that happening but suggest you consider cameras with built-in IR so you can record at night.

For the Ness alarm system I can get an addon card that basically allows the unit to 'call' me, send text or i think email (3G, GPRS, GSM) on alarm but of course you need a phone line or mobile sim dedicated for this service. No ongoing subscription.

The alarm is separate as it connects with internal PIR, window alarms, proxy alarms (doors), glass break alarm. These are reliable devices and work. Chances are you would only be able to cover a limited area with a combination of what you proposed and reliability could be compromised.

I'm sure there are other devices out there now that use web protocols to call, email, text, or other means to notify if not directly through some app. Needs research.

The point I'm making is using cameras as alarm/trigger devices are not reliable - eg they cut your power, or your network goes down, battery issues after 2 years, wireless compatibility etc.

Suggest you talk to a professional and get a feel for what is available for your intended purpose. Heaps of security companies out there.

Don't get me wrong the solution you suggest could work but I caution OP to get some free professional advice/quotes.

You could DIY and end up with a compromised/limited system but for a little more $ could get a more suitable system.

2 hours ago, WasM said:

I frequently see leaves moving outside and the CCTV (which captures on motion) starts recording.

I can set the sensitivity for mine and also an exclusion zone also so it doesn't triigger when cars go past on road. Can also have a separate sensitivity for night time so it doesn't pick up bugs.

2 hours ago, WasM said:

battery issues after 2 years, wireless compatibility

There are no batteries and mine are hard wired ethernet.

Here is a screenshot the alarm triggering screen, the red squares are the area where the alarm will trigger when someone enters, also not the sensitivity slider that can be adjusted, There is also an expert mode which has even more options.

camera.JPG

7 hours ago, halfordd0 said:

I can set the sensitivity for mine and also an exclusion zone also so it doesn't triigger when cars go past on road. Can also have a separate sensitivity for night time so it doesn't pick up bugs.

There are no batteries and mine are hard wired ethernet.

Here is a screenshot the alarm triggering screen, the red squares are the area where the alarm will trigger when someone enters, also not the sensitivity slider that can be adjusted, There is also an expert mode which has even more options.

Yes thats a good way to go with built-in adjustment on cameras. Mine are configured to do the same but most of the cameras are external looking into the garden/driveway etc and picks up flapping leaves etc which can't be helped.

Hardwired units are reliable.

My intercom is configured with a selectable time after button press (say a delivery person) it will send me an email with a few snapshots at the front door. It can be configured to divert to my phone directly but will require a sim card. I'm currently looking into a VOIP/SIP system that will divert without any ongoing paid subscription or mobile service.

Decided to go with the Risco Alarm with Wireless still cameras on the PIR's as it can be installed before Christmas.

It seems the best with how it operates for ease and for arming/disarming while I'm away on my iphone with what caused the triggered event.

We appear to have a group of people continuously patrolling the streets at all hours as if they are casing everyones house for the lead up to the holidays. So best to have some protection just in case.

Will get a CCTV setup at a later date that is separate from the alarm. 

Even though the alarm is wireless, it operates even without mains and can send all the info to my phone. Has a GSM card installed.

Bought a UPS for my router/switch/NBN modem, so that will operate without power for a long time.

Will have to just monitor the batteries in everything to keep them topped up. Supposedly 3 year usual use life to them on the alarm accessories.

Edited by rocky500