Good Desktop Computer HiFi

Hi all, I spend a bit of time in front of my Desktop Computer (Mac) and have now decided I want a better sound than what my iMac can deliver, I'm testing out a Cambridge Audio One system I have on loan with various bookshelf speakers that I have,  it's not bad and a big improvement and has the USB input for a Computer, thought about a set of KEF LS50 Actives but think they might be to big and a waste on a desk, I like the new KEF LSX Speakers BUT they have no computer USB inputs, they would be a good desktop Computer Speaker if they did

What do you guys think, I am enjoying the little Cambridge One and it has DAB and a CD, is there any better recommendations with keeping things on the desktop in order and fuss free compact?? 

1 minute ago, blakey72 said:

Hmmm, what do you want to spend on speakers and system? Do you want CD and DAB?

Not really, went to the HiFi shop to check out active good sounding speakers, this little Cambridge System (Demo) was just sitting there for a decent price that just happens to have these features, just got me thinking and this is why I put out the question,  

11 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Hey all good and thanks Blakey, just a simple speaker connection for my iMac, no Bluetooth and probably a Dumb question, just curious to see what others are using that's all, this little Cambridge system is cutting it at the moment with the USB connection and the price is right, seems like a no fuss discreet answer for me, 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bluesman said:

I like the new KEF LSX Speakers BUT they have no computer USB inputs, they would be a good desktop Computer Speaker if they did

Most iMacs have a combo 3.5mm jack. If you have one, you could run minitoslink-to-toslink into the LSX 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Bluesman said:

Thanks as I didn't know that, makes the LSX an option, will look into it

Let me know how you go. I'm currently running Audioengine A5+'s in conjunction with their little DAC/Headphone amp from my Macbook pro but considering the LSX. Years ago I tried a optical connection from an iMac to a little micro system we had in the office as it had an optical input, but I was getting ALL the beeps and clicks from the iMac thru the speakers which was really annoying. I believe new OSX can now route these sounds to the built in speakers and music to the the optical output.

• Like 1

On 03/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, blybo said:

Let me know how you go. I'm currently running Audioengine A5+'s in conjunction with their little DAC/Headphone amp from my Macbook pro but considering the LSX. Years ago I tried a optical connection from an iMac to a little micro system we had in the office as it had an optical input, but I was getting ALL the beeps and clicks from the iMac thru the speakers which was really annoying. I believe new OSX can now route these sounds to the built in speakers and music to the the optical output.

I decided to give the LSX a miss, they would be great I'm sure but just went for the simple and cheaper Cambridge one system, hey enjoying it and it's working for me, I have to many speakers that need to be used and the Cambridge Audio One System is proving to be a great Hub