Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Music monster

Wow I just found out,on my first thread ever and we have had 265 replies and 4620 views I’m gobsmacked. I didn’t know if any one would even reply.thanks to all and a happy new year ?

Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Your welcome to listen to my 30.7s raj when they arrive , just make sure your a good bigdog and eat your bikkies and doggy bones ha ha ha. Gary the music monster ? ?

Edited by Music monster

Guest Music monster

My friend raj has got feedback from his mate in Singapore regarding the comparison between the magnapans 30.7 and Martin Logan clx art. His conclusion is the 30.7s don’t surpass the clx art in anyway and they are both surberb but different sounding one being ribbon the other electrostatic.i had a good listen to clx art at big dogs house, I was impressed but the sound was on the lean and dry sound for me,compared to the 1.7i I found these to be more fuller and richer sounding more to my liking. On this decision I made the purchase of 30.7s . I also don’t like the idea of having to plug speakers in the wall, looks are important to me,and I find the 30.7 to be very elegant compared to clx which is average looking in my opinion. I only trust my ears and buy what sounds right to me.i hope to do our own comparisons between big dogs clx art and my 30.7 when they arrive and are fully run in just for the fun of it but it won’t change my opinion, from the first time I herd my 1.7 , I fort this is the sound I am after. Raj believes the clx art is in a league on its own and that’s fine by me.not one speaker in my opinion can do it all that’s way I use stacked lascalas horns for pop and rock music. I will use the 30.7s for classical chamber music light jazz and natural acoustic music. Both 30.7s and clx art are not suited to pop or rock music. That’s fine if you don’t listen to music like that ,but I do so I need two different systems that excell for different types of music. I also have my klipschorns on the back of my room ,these I use on there own for the purest and best sound I can achieve with horns. Over and out . Gary the music monster ?

Yes, that's about a fairly accurate description on the 30.7's so far... 

However, there's far more to it than that :

Just to summarize what my mate has experienced :

1. Based on the last few state demo's in the US, many people were walking out on the demo's, as the sound was not up to par and expectations. 

2. The fault was not so much the room or electronics, rather the bass panels placement. 

3. The bass panels are very tricky to place, such that in the wrong spot, it over-powers the mids & highs panel. Similar issues start to evolve which were the same characteristics as the Tympani's.

4. In order to compensate, Magnepan have incorporated a bass control switch to augment the mid-bass frequencies. This helps to a certain extent but again positioning is critical to avoid smearing of the mids-highs. 

5. A large space is required to place this bass panel critically, otherwise you're better off sticking with a single panel, such as the 20.7's and so on, which can actually sound far more coherent due to the sound reproduced from one "framed  panel", also similar to other stats.

6. When this critical placement is strategically right, the sound of the 30.7's is exceptional.

The sound obviously improves as amplification is added of higher quality. The two main types of amps used: CJ ART300's snd Dan D'Agostino momentums.

7. Comparing directly to CLX's, since he owns these as well, each one has its attributes, which are outstanding and in a class of their own, it's up-to the user to appreciate what these attributes are. 

For someone looking to upgrade further from an existing Maggie model, these fine multi-panel ribbon transducers would be the final chapter so far. 

As for those who already own the finest stats, these would be an added flavor.

So there you have it, from a person who owns three systems, ML Statements, CLX's and 30.7's. At the time of sending me this note just this morning, he also mentioned that he has taken delivery of the VAC statement amplifiers. Although this is for a customer order, he will be demoing these hooked up to both the CLX's and 30.7's upon my visit in Feb, so that will certainly be another interesting learning curve! 

Cheers to all, and enjoy your panels. 

RJ 

Guest Music monster

Well said raj and yes it comes down to personal taste.enjoy your clx art the finest stats in the world. Gary the music monster ?

No they are not the finest stats in the world... Such claims are nonsense! 

The CLX's are only "one" of the finest, amongst many others. Similarly the 30.7's are "one" of the finest ribbons but the best ribbon out of the Maggie line up.

There's no such thing as "best" in the world. After all this is only reproduced music, which is nothing compared to a live event. No matter what system, even the nearly million dollar Wilson Chronosonic is not the live performance.

In this hobby, passion, craze or whatever you want to call it, it is to heighten the enjoyment of recorded music, that's all there is to it! 

A live event is totally different from live mic feeds to the end result, there's no reproduction of signals in any form.

I have not heard everything, and most out there can even beat the 30.7's or the CLX's. At the end of the day, it's basically what one prefers and is content with that particular sound / system. 

In my case, I'm content and I don't care whether it's the "best or not "...

Cheers to all, and enjoy what you have! 

RJ

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Yes, that's about a fairly accurate description on the 30.7's so far... 

However, there's far more to it than that :

Just to summarize what my mate has experienced :

1. Based on the last few state demo's in the US, many people were walking out on the demo's, as the sound was not up to par and expectations. 

2. The fault was not so much the room or electronics, rather the bass panels placement. 

3. The bass panels are very tricky to place, such that in the wrong spot, it over-powers the mids & highs panel. Similar issues start to evolve which were the same characteristics as the Tympani's.

4. In order to compensate, Magnepan have incorporated a bass control switch to augment the mid-bass frequencies. This helps to a certain extent but again positioning is critical to avoid smearing of the mids-highs. 

5. A large space is required to place this bass panel critically, otherwise you're better off sticking with a single panel, such as the 20.7's and so on, which can actually sound far more coherent due to the sound reproduced from one "framed  panel", also similar to other stats.

6. When this critical placement is strategically right, the sound of the 30.7's is exceptional.

The sound obviously improves as amplification is added of higher quality. The two main types of amps used: CJ ART300's snd Dan D'Agostino momentums.

7. Comparing directly to CLX's, since he owns these as well, each one has its attributes, which are outstanding and in a class of their own, it's up-to the user to appreciate what these attributes are. 

For someone looking to upgrade further from an existing Maggie model, these fine multi-panel ribbon transducers would be the final chapter so far. 

As for those who already own the finest stats, these would be an added flavor.

So there you have it, from a person who owns three systems, ML Statements, CLX's and 30.7's. At the time of sending me this note just this morning, he also mentioned that he has taken delivery of the VAC statement amplifiers. Although this is for a customer order, he will be demoing these hooked up to both the CLX's and 30.7's upon my visit in Feb, so that will certainly be another interesting learning curve! 

Cheers to all, and enjoy your panels. 

RJ 

Big dog I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but I was of the impression that during the demo tour a whole heap of different amplifiers were being used depending on who the hosts were. 

We have already received a lot of feedback on the planar asylum site which was predictably a mixed bag. 

Positioning with Maggie's has always been critical. It won't be any different with the 30.7s.

As will the speakers dependency on amplification. I'm not yet convinced that owners need a boulder or D'Agostino to make them sing as a matter of necessity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Ok raj my apologies your right and I am arrogant. Gary the music monster ?

No Gary, you're not. You're just as passionate about panels and music as I am.?

No one here is completely right or wrong, although there seem to be a few that want to always point out that I am wrong one way or the other... I don't see the point in that, and they must correct my statements otherwise they cannot proceed with normal day to day activities...

As you can see another post below... 

As DMax clearly pointed out, what's the purpose of this thread... I'm wondering myself!

When I'm back in Feb end, I'll let you know all about the 30.7's. And by the way I sincerely think your MC452 will be an excellent match to drive them, as we discussed this arvo. 

Take care bud, cheers RJ

Guest Music monster

Thanks raj music is my life I truly live for music.i would completely lost without it and my move to panel speakers should have happened years ago. Gary the music monster ?

2 hours ago, ghost4man said:

Big dog I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but I was of the impression that during the demo tour a whole heap of different amplifiers were being used depending on who the hosts were. 

We have already received a lot of feedback on the planar asylum site which was predictably a mixed bag. 

Positioning with Maggie's has always been critical. It won't be any different with the 30.7s.

As will the speakers dependency on amplification. I'm not yet convinced that owners need a boulder or D'Agostino to make them sing as a matter of necessity. 

Did I ever say that you need a Boulder or D'Agostino to make them work?

I believe what I stated was that my mate in Spore, who happens to have these two brands, amongst many others, such as CJ Art 300's, Kondo Kagaru SET monoblocks, and the original Ongaku's, has tried these with various combinations on ML statements, CLX's and 30.7's. Therefore, he was able to determine which one was closer to the original source or delivered a more natural sound. It was from "his" experience that he further emphasized the higher up you go in terms of amplification, the more resolution and transparency is achieved, "his" not mine OK? 

Having said that, obviously we all have varied budgets and I for one believes in value for money 100%. Hence, even though I certainly have the means, by no way would I spend that kind of money on audio systems, after all it's "hi-fi."

I have other priorities, such as a new house coming up, daughters higher education and a good wife to look after, plus a few cats to look after, so yeah I do have other things in life to attend to, rather than having to correct myself or reply to someone who's always on my back!

Also, just to clarify, most of this info was also received from South East Asia, where a similar demo took place across Spore & Hong Kong but was not reported or given wide publicity. It was not only 30.7's but also the new Avantgarde Trio's and SF Extreme's, along with a top line Wilson were on demo to cater for the wealthy Asian market. 

So in all due respect, I'm not trying to sell Maggie's short or under play them in any way or criticize the Aus market, as you have gathered from some cloud no. 9...

Remember, I used to own my own dealership and have lived with Maggie's since the 80's. Therefore, whatever information I may state, by all means take it as a guideline not the dam Bible!

I don't think I have stated anything to offend nor was that my intention and if I have in any way, I have ALWAYS corrected myself. I don't believe in this case I need to correct anything I've stated, it's just an opinion. May be correct or wrong who cares? 

So the world cannot turn because big dog stated some mis-information on a forum called Stereo Net... Oh Please!

I need a drink!

Dmax: just for your info, this is one of the other reasons why many true audiophiles don't bother on such forums, they're always scrutinized... 

Cheers to all, RJ 

Guest Point source

I’ll bring my Jadis DA7 around ‘all +30Kg’ and we can see if it makes a difference.

coz here when comparing to a Magtech there is something about the Jadis...

Since the 80's, Ive used the following Maggie models towards 2009:

MGIIIa, MG3.3/r, MG3.5/r, MG3.6/r, & MG20.1

Amplifiers used successfully:

SS - Parasound, Bryston, Plinius, Krell, Harmon Kardon Citation, Musical fidelity, Audio Lab, McIntosh 

Tubes: ARC, VTL, Manley, CJ, Melos, Jadis, Carver, and Cayin.

This is MY personal experience from having sold all these brands over several decades, from the above list have I mentioned Boulder, CH precision or Solutions or D'Agostino anywhere? 

RJ 

23 minutes ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Since the 80's, Ive used the following Maggie models towards 2009:

MGIIIa, MG3.3/r, MG3.5/r, MG3.6/r, & MG20.1

Amplifiers used successfully:

SS - Parasound, Bryston, Plinius, Krell, Harmon Kardon Citation, Musical fidelity, Audio Lab, McIntosh 

Tubes: ARC, VTL, Manley, CJ, Melos, Jadis, Carver, and Cayin.

This is MY personal experience from having sold all these brands over several decades, from the above list have I mentioned Boulder, CH precision or Solutions or D'Agostino anywhere? 

RJ 

One of our resident SNAers @Audionutz has the Citation which he uses to drive his Martin Logans.

They are reputed to be stupendously good!

At the minute he is using a pair of Esoteric Audio Research EAR 859's which if I am correct he rates above the Citation in this combination.

Having spoken to Scott I would love to couple my maggies with the Mark Levinson ML2 monoblocs. 

11 hours ago, Audionutz said:

Nope, sorry mate. Correction as follows ?

I doubt the poster above has the Citation XX? But anything’s possible.

The EAR amps are a different model - 549 Monos.

Cheers

Scott

Scott thanks for correction. Knew there was a 4 & 5 somewhere in there ? 

• Like 1

Congrats. The Maggie were my first panel panels and to date, I have always a soft spot of them. If you switched from a box speaker to this, you may need to get use to the bass. Bass is very tight but may tend to be a lower in quantity and the trick is to vary its distance from the back wall. Toe in to taste to get your sweet spot. I think augmenting the bass with a sub or dual subs would yield dividends. Room treatment would differ from conventional box speakers.

You may also consider doing away with side walls treatment as they make negligible impact.

still sticking with magnepan.

recently gotten a pair of MMG-W and MMG-C. Trying out the tri-center concept.

U gotten the 3.7i from absolute? I thought they stopped carrying the brand?

last year, the tweeter on my MG1.5 died. Called them up, they dont do repair for broken QR tweeters.

I've owned the Maggies too and I love the unboxy sound. Perfect match for high powered Naim. What I like is that the speakers are easy to shift and you can play with the positioning without breaking your back. Remember to change the biwiring stock jumper plate to copper cable.

Peeve? Our humidity (you definitely need aircon) makes maintenance of this speaker  a  challenge. 300b tube lover can forget it

Don’t know how maggies are today, It requires lots of juice for it to wake up & it’s got a tight sweet spot not to mention room sensitive especially smaller listening rooms. It needs space to breath. Oh for me asthetics are important too, don’t like the looks of 2 big partition like objects to look at. lol