GroovyGuru

Magneplanar Speaker Owner Thread

You are missing the point. 

If someone wants to know what a Magnepan sounds like, it is best not to listen to one which has been heavily customized.

What a person hears on a customized speaker is the owners version of that speaker.  If that person likes that sound, he will have to customize and maybe end up with something different, not necessarily better.  If that person does not like that sound, then Magnepan has been done an injustice.  I dread that someone hears a customized Maggie and then decides not to buy into that sound, when that was not a true representation of that speaker. 

Anyone wanting to know what Magnepans sound like, listen to a pair which has not been customized.  Use that as a buying reference.

Almost all components are designed to meet a price point.  This is not something peculiar to Magnepan.  

I've been through a period of upgrading parts, etc.  It was a rabbit hole.  Wasted years.  Upgrading parts in not a panacea and I don't recommend it as a matter of course. 

Edited by GroovyGuru

1 hour ago, GroovyGuru said:

You are missing the point. 

If someone wants to know what a Magnepan sounds like, it is best not to listen to one which has been heavily customized.

What a person hears on a customized speaker is the owners version of that speaker.  If that person likes that sound, he will have to customize and maybe end up with something different, not necessarily better.  If that person does not like that sound, then Magnepan has been done an injustice.  I dread that someone hears a customized Maggie and then decides not to buy into that sound, when that was not a true representation of that speaker. 

Anyone wanting to know what Magnepans sound like, listen to a pair which has not been customized.  Use that as a buying reference.

Almost all components are designed to meet a price point.  This is not something peculiar to Magnepan.  

I've been through a period of upgrading parts, etc.  It was a rabbit hole.  Wasted years.  Upgrading parts in not a panacea and I don't recommend it as a matter of course. 

Peter, 

There is no doubt that what gets you hooked into Maggie's will be the uncustomised sound. 

Totally agree here. 

However I do not agree with the rest and again I would ask that you speak to Bill to have a very experienced reference point. 

The customisation of any speaker is an acknowledgement that what you are doing is making what you love better. 

The pinnacle of the magnepan range WILL be the 30.7s. Could you upgrade on them? I think so. First port of call would be to brace them with steel stands. 

Would replacing with the existing framework gives added benefits? I can't answer that as the bigger you get in the range it seems to not be that crucial which is to say that I've heard a guy upgrading a pair of 20 series which was not crucial. 

The XO is another area of contention. Some prefer passive vs active. I think active is the way to go for a number of reasons. Expense wise it is a drawback as you need more amplifiers. 

Don't forget that Maggie's unquestionably benefit from having a good amplifier on deck so each time you upgrade in this area you are upgrading the speaker itself. That's just what Maggie's are like. 

If you don't like a customised pair of Maggies but do like the untouched pair then you have your answer. 

My intention is to build a system which will smoke the 20.7s using older speakers but with a twist. You will find a lot of people out there that hold the view that the Tympani range still remains in elite company for a number of reasons. 

I don't give a rat's arse about what Bill thinks. 

Listen to an unadulterated Maggie first. 

Careful or the moderators will ....

Having said that, Magnepan’s are different to most other speakers as they are a dipole.

i too have also observed that ‘when’ you modify the panels too much, that they sound ‘different’.

THIS IS NO REFLECTION ON MODS JUST THAT 

THEY SOUND DIFFERENT.

2 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

I don't give a rat's arse about what Bill thinks. 

Listen to an unadulterated Maggie first. 

Completely unnecessary reaction. 

Nk one is disputing listening to Maggie's in their unadulterated state Peter and in fact what people fall in love with is this sound. 

The point you are missing is that Maggie's DO benefit from the implementation of mods.

Diaagreeing with this is a very narrow view and certainly I would invite you to go to the planar asylum site where guys have been improving upon the Maggie sound for years. 

Its also a known fact that magnepan are aware of the conversation on the forums and I'd suggest in the case of the 30.7s have listened to the talk. 

I believe with your assessment that your TR have been out of action for a long time because I was very disappointed with what I heard when I came to your place that day. I would characterise what I heard as being very flat and lifeless. I should have said something at the time but did not although I expressed my concerns privately with other people. 

I hope that you are back on track with the system because I am aware of the time, effort and money that goes into this hobby. It's never ending and often frustrating.