GroovyGuru

Magneplanar Speaker Owner Thread

9 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

I think you are confusing the 20.7 with earlier models.  The tweeters are dead easy to remove.  A case of unclipping two connectors and undoing some screws.  If I can do it, anyone else should be able to do it. It's almost as easy as changing a light bulb.

Peter,

You are correct. I have assumed incorrectly on this which I am glad I was wrong as I know what it is like with the older models.

14 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

I think you are spot on mate that’s what bill told me to people don’t take care enough of them it you do you could never have problems. Gary the music monster 🎶

There has been to my mind unnecessary fear mongering regarding the true ribbon tweeters.

Are they capable of breaking?

Yes they are. But if you look after them and have an appropriate amp in place then the chances of something going wrong is reduced markedly.

Whilst I appreciate RJ's perspective, I am not of the view that the ribbons just break every couple of years. They break for a reason not because

time has elapsed. 

I used to move my IIIAas  around the room which they recommend you do with the protective strips on but without them and never had an issue.

There is no doubt that they are fragile but you will find just how this is the case if you handle them. Just apply some common sense here. If they

were that fragile then handling them would not be an option.

Cheers.

ozzie

Just checked the US RRP for the 20.7 it is $13,850 plus tax.  The Australian RRP of $21,000 (includes tax) is good.  The US RRP for the 30.7 is $29,000.  This means the Aussie RRP for the 30.7 should be around $44,000.

42 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

Just checked the US RRP for the 20.7 it is $13,850 plus tax.  The Australian RRP of $21,000 (includes tax) is good.  The US RRP for the 30.7 is $29,000.  This means the Aussie RRP for the 30.7 should be around $44,000.

Bill has to make some money off it though 😊

I discussed that with Bill last year and I think you are in the ball park. It's also likely he will need to get a model in for demo as it's clearly  unfair that customers would be forced to buy sight unseen or in this case unheard. 

I wouldn't need a demo before buying.  There are no 30.7s on the second hand market.  That speaks volumes, customers are not dumping their 30.7s.

Anyone wanting to upgrade on a MG20 or a Tympani would be looking at the 30.7 unless they wanted a change of direction.

Wait till she hears some of the stuff I ve heard......   😜

On 03/12/2018 at 10:12 AM, aechmea said:

Haha.

At my age and deaf as a post I have to press my ear up against them to check that they are working.  All the coloured lights are on so that's a good start.

Yeah, it's just gossamer thin open weave gauze that doesn't seem to be of much use.  Might stop finger touching at best.  Reckon you could easily do without it, if it became damaged.

-------------------------------

If one needs to move them, there is a magnetic strip that fits over the ribbon to provide protection.  Well, mine came with such a strip.

--------------------------------

Not that I am in the market, but are there actually any 30.7s in captivity [other than the one doing the USA road-trip]?  Hard to justify $50k for extended bass, if that is all that is being offered, when a few well positioned subs can do that.  And still no active bi or tri amping [still have an ME and a spare Magtech just in case, one day...].

I am glad to hear you aren't having any issues with the tweeters. I have heard of another case in HK that had such issues but the early adopter in Bangkok did not suffer the same fate. Never did manage to find out why some did and others didn't. To be fair, both the subsequent owner and myself play loud and all genres of music.

Curious about he 30.7 too but the cost will be prohibitive here in SG as well and always got the sense that to play the 30.7 convincingly would require some rather brutish amps lol. 😁

9 hours ago, PoisonM said:

I am glad to hear you aren't having any issues with the tweeters. I have heard of another case in HK that had such issues but the early adopter in Bangkok did not suffer the same fate. Never did manage to find out why some did and others didn't. To be fair, both the subsequent owner and myself play loud and all genres of music.

Curious about he 30.7 too but the cost will be prohibitive here in SG as well and always got the sense that to play the 30.7 convincingly would require some rather brutish amps lol. 😁

Playing at high volume should not be a problem for Maggies or any speakers.  If any speaker has a problem with high volume that speaker is poorly designed. 

I think the cost of the 30.7 might hold it back.  I've gone cold on it.  I'll stick with the 20.7, it more than meets my requirements.  Just wish the replacement tweeters would hurry up and arrive. 

On 04/12/2018 at 12:20 PM, GroovyGuru said:

Just checked the US RRP for the 20.7 it is $13,850 plus tax.  The Australian RRP of $21,000 (includes tax) is good. ..............

Seems like a steal to me.  13850/.7*1.10 = 21764 (Aus$ + GST)

And that's not to mention international shipping, insurance, customs, local transport and stuff that's not covered by the US RRP.

When I hear the term "high volumes", then add 83dB/w/m sensitivity (at best) and 4ohm then add some dynamic range, I immediately think clipping amp.

A quick approx calc shows that one needs 100w for 1 speaker for 93dB SPL (at 3m) then add at a very minimum 10dB of dynamic range and all of a sudden one needs 1000w, then throw in current delivery into 4ohms.  There are precious few amps that can do this.

However I would expect the in-line fuse to let go first.  Which I suppose is why it's there.

[A German magazine measured/quoted 77.5dB/2.8v/m for the 20.7s (=74.5dB/w/m).  Hmmmm.  Doesn't seem right but there you go.]

I tried 3 brands of 250wpc amps that didn't do the job to my satisfaction.  The Magtechs at double that do well.  I play at 80 - 85 dB SPL with plenty of head-room.