GroovyGuru

Magneplanar Speaker Owner Thread

This is a Round Table for Magneplanar Speakers:

There has been a lot of talk on an introduction posting about Magnepan tweeters wearing out or being damaged and requiring replacement.   I have a pair of MG20.7s which have a pair of tweeters which have ruptured and need replacing.  I can't identify whether the rupture was from wear and tear or whether if was due to my ceiling fan located over the speakers.  I have a bad feeling it was the ceiling fan, which means no ceiling fan for me this summer.  

I could find no videos of a Magnepan tweeter repair on You Tube.  There are plenty of videos about repairing the wires on the frames, but none of them for repairing the ribbon tweeter on the larger models.  This may be because the ribbon tweeters on the larger models don't break unless mishandled or they are too tricky for untrained amateurs to repair.

The options for repairing a Magnepan ribbon tweeter are to get a change over tweeter from the dealer (Bill McLean in Australia) or buy a tweeter repair kit direct from Magnepan.  Bill McLean does not sell the tweeter repair kit.  I think Bill simply sends you a tweeter from stock and you send the broken one to him.  The changeover price for a 20.7 tweeter is $600 (includes freight).      

The advantage of the tweeter repair kit is it is much cheaper because most of the price of repair is in labour.  The disadvantage is it is very difficult to repair without breaking the delicate ribbons, which are 1/10 the width of a strand of hair.  A DIY repair will need someone well trained in repairing ribbons and has gone through the experience on a trial and error basis.  I could buy a repair kit and stuff it up and then have to buy another repair kit and stuff it up and in the end simply changing over the tweeter would be same price. 

If I had a spare broken tweeter to trial on I would try a tweeter repair kit, but I want my speakers fixed ASAP.   

For the sake of convenience, I will probably opt for the change over option because I have been forced into sobriety because I have no system to listen to while getting half pissed.  I can only put up with this sobriety for 2 more days.  😣

Edited by GroovyGuru

35 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

A DIY repair will need someone well trained in repairing ribbons and has gone through the experience on a trial and error basis.  I could buy a repair kit and stuff it up and then have to buy another repair kit and stuff it up and in the end simply changing over the tweeter would be same price.

Absolootely, Peter.  I reckon you'd need to do at least 3 before the result was worthwhile - so I am absolutely never going to be doing my own true-ribbon repair!  :lol:

Neither am I interested - having re-laid a mid panel on my previous IIIas about 10 years ago - in re-laying wire or foil on mylar sheet.  I will just send them up to Bill for repair, if I need to.

Andy

Not sure what Magnaplanar charges for a set of 20.7 ribbon repair kit,  I would have watched the utube video and get enough info to do the repairs.  

You're other alternative is Ambiance speakers and he actually manufacturers ribbons.  He supplies the cold solder to ensure proper conductivity because the ribbon he manufacture is on a plastic mylar with vaporised aluminium thats similar to mine. 

If one is damaged you need to replaced both at the same time.  

The need to occasionally replace Magneplanar ribbon tweeters need to be put into perspective. 

I just had a chat with a major retailer and was informed that it is common for ribbon tweeters from all manufacturers to be damaged.  Either from being overdriven or underdriven; or any other reason.  They have a box of broken ribbon tweeters which were $650 to replace.  Manufacturers don't repair the tweeters because it is cheaper to replace them.  Ribbon tweeters are delicate.  $600 to replace 20.7 tweeters is not bad.  

Repairing would involve disassembling and reassembling and that makes labor costs too high.  

Peter, 

I think thr other thing that you have to consider here is removing the existing ribbons. That is an arduous task which requires removal of the cloth. 

I thought long and hard about this part so I commissioned @gonefishing999to replace the existing frame with Tassie Oak wood which in my mind looks far superior and produces better sonic outcomes.

Peter Keenan did a very good job of incorporating the ribbons into the framework whereby the end result is the very easy removal of the ribbons when required. What takes me a coupled off minutes will take you much much longer with the risk of ruining the cloth. 

If you have been to @djbs place that is what I mean.

If I recall you will find a huge number of stables at the bottom and underside of the cloth and you then have to roller the cloth all the way back in order for the ribbons to come out. There's a lot of work involved here. Don't forget what comes off has to go back on. 

I would seriously consider going down the route of having the wooden frames built. It's your choice who would this for you. Peter did mine and djbs so he has an intuitive feel how to get the best result.

One of the advantages of this is that it becomes very easy to check to sew if there are ever any issues with any if the drivers. Furthermore I think Maggie's sound better without the cloth on. 

Something to consider. 

Ozzie 

Ribbon tweeters are not the only part that can go wrong with these speakers. The mid and bass panels will also cause problems with backslap and voice coil wires coming loose it takes longer than the tweeters but it will happen.i bought a second hand 1.5 quasi ribbon Maggie’s one side worked fine the other speaker was making a loud vibration noise it’s called delamanation . Gary the music monster 🎶

8 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

Ribbon tweeters are not the only part that can go wrong with these speakers. The mid and bass panels will also cause problems with backslap and voice coil wires coming loose it takes longer than the tweeters but it will happen.i bought a second hand 1.5 quasi ribbon Maggie’s one side worked fine the other speaker was making a loud vibration noise it’s called delamanation . Gary the music monster 🎶

Stats can also fail.  There are plenty of stories of electrostatics getting fried.  The reality is, all speakers are capable of failing, just like other components can fail.  Even turntables fail.  I had to get my Aura motor fixed many years ago. 

You must always be careful when buying second hand gear.  The seller might be getting rid of it because it is not working properly and does not want to do a rebuild.  A good indication of whether something is good is look at the second hand market.  There are currently no 30.7s for sale.  

Edited by GroovyGuru

10 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

Gary, 

This needs some balancing. What you say is true but reflects the very poor quality glue originally used by Magnepan which resulted in delamination. 

That's not such a problem these days. 

I would be more concerned with a product from a start up business which has quality control problems.  Magnepan have been around a long time and will continue, which means there will always be parts.  A problem with being around a long time is you have relic components, which should be thrown in the bin rather than repaired.  But these relics continue in a sort of afterlife.  

Good to know they use better glue and it’s not a problem anymore. I new these 1.5s had a problem but for 480 I bought them anyway just to hear what Maggie’s sound like and I have being interested in them ever since.my dad owned a pair of klipschorns for 38; years using them every single day and never had a single problem.klipsch speakers being very high efficiency generate very little heat in the crossovers and drivers they last for generations.gary the music monster 🎶