Batty

Shure V15 type III cartridges on ebay

@Monkeyboi the us$1500 listed above is just a jico SAS not original Shure thus I say the transaction is sus

I use a Jico neo SAS / SS stylus, the cantilever is sapphire crystal not aluminium, it sounds buch better that the much cheaper standard Jico and the Ed Saunders.

I paid $335 2 years ago for mine.

A word on the SAS stylus manufacture: the guy who made them at Jico has since retired, and they have nobody else capable at this stage. All current stocks of SAS styli will not be replaced once exhausted, unless something changes. This is already starting to jack up the price of some models due to scarcity. This means that some of the high prices for carts may actually be for the stylus as well.

Agreed.

And going on a lot we hear, the 3 is suppose to be the one to get -  So, why do the 4s cost more ? (last time l looked)

Mmmm, I prefer the Pickering / Stanton, Grace and Empire's.... Only tried a few Shures. They sounded a bit dull to me.

In a while when I've got a lot of mods out of the way and sorted through so much gear I've aquired over the years I have a new V15 stylus in the pseudo wooden box to sell and I think the cartridge as well.  The classic combo was an SME 3009 with V15 fitted. I bought for my wife a Technics SL120 with the 3009 fitted at the SME factory which was just a few miles from the guy I bought the combo from. They also fitted the V15 for him.

Being rained off work one day I was surprised how easy it was to set up compared to a Rega 3 and their 250 arms. It's what convinced me of the superiority of a good D/D deck.

As someone said crazy prices but that applies to classic vinyl as well.