Wireless Subwoofer Kits

I was curious to know if anyone has any experience with wireless subwoofer kits? In particular I'm looking at this one on Ebay with 20% off at the moment.

I'm hoping to add a PB-1000 to my setup (assuming a 2nd hand one turns up) but rather than sell my existing subwoofer I'd like to try running two. There isn't space at the front of the room for the second sub so I thought I'd try behind the seating position. With two young children about I'd prefer not to run a cable if I can get away with it.

Can't say that I've ever gone that option, but my concern would be any delay in response by the sub.  Timing is crucial for effect.  Others who may have owned one may chime in here, but I don't actually know anyone who has a wireless sub.

Edited by Kaynin

Yeah my gut feel is that they're probably a gimmick and more trouble than they're worth. If it was a bit cheaper I'd just buy it and chuck it if it wasn't up to scratch, but at $100+ it's a tad to expensive without being sure it'll work.

I couldn't get a slight low level rumble caused by in room interference to go away with mine so I ended up with a long cable going to the back of the room.

And there is an advertised 13 millisecond delay that can be dialled out with equipment that has the capability.

Shameless plug below.

3 hours ago, Kaynin said:

delay in response by the sub

If you send a signal through the air, or down a wire ... the one through the air will arrive first.

That being said... some wireless systems have some type of added processing delay, but that's not necessarily specific to it being wireless  (wired systems can have this too).

The typical delays, are much much smaller than what is audible.....  but different products/setups might of course do something more extreme.

1 hour ago, Satanica said:

advertised 13 millisecond

That's long-ish....  but not something which you'd expect to the audible.     Could you notice it?

27 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

That's long-ish....  but not something which you'd expect to the audible.     Could you notice it?

I think I did but it seemed minor and I know the mind can plays tricks so I'm not really sure.

After just leaving it as it was for a couple of days I ended up adding 13 milliseconds of delay to my other sub-woofers and mains to compensate.

This amount of of delay may cause a little bit of an issue with video sync.

8 minutes ago, Satanica said:

This amount of of delay may cause a little bit of an issue with video sync.

I doubt that.

Studies have come up with  quite a few different answers, but they're all >50ms for late arriving audio.   (Early arriving audio is much more unacceptable)

I have heard many people quote the "rule" that it's about 20ms when you're playing an instrument ... and about 80ms when you're an observer.    That's detectability.  Acceptability could be wider again.

All that being said.   I'd apply the correction too, if the option was there ;) 

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

I couldn't get a slight low level rumble caused by in room interference to go away with mine so I ended up with a long cable going to the back of the room.

And there is an advertised 13 millisecond delay that can be dialled out with equipment that has the capability.

I honestly doubt I'd notice 13ms delay, but any interference would drive me nuts. Thanks for posting.

Sounds like a cable may be the only practical option after all.

1 hour ago, davewantsmoore said:

I wouldn't expect interference.

Unfortunately my router and wireless AP are nestled behind the entertainment unit, less than a metre from the receiver. If the adaptor is susceptible to interference then that probably won't help. 

52 minutes ago, GummickAU said:

If the adaptor is susceptible to interference

In general you shouldn't expect it to be.

The manufacturer says it's specifically not for devices in that type of band.

Episode claims the ES-SUB-WIRELESS' wireless signal is impervious to other Wi-Fi signals, such as 802.11 a/b/g/n, as well as microwaves and Bluetooth devices

In a review, I noticed this:

One minor issue that I did take note of was the ES-SUB-WIRELESS' tendency to showcase or cause ground loop hums. Wire routing between the transmitter and my AV preamp proved to be the culprit and was easy enough to deal with and eliminate