Stereo amplifier recommendations

I'm looking at upgrading the amplifier in my stereo system which is a cambridge audio azur 640a v2. The cambridge audio amp has served well but is having issues with the speakers cutting out which has got me thinking about upgrade options. Most of my stereo gear I bought around 10 years ago and haven't really changed since then.

Currently I have a few different boxes connected to the amplifer.

A phono preamp to connect a record player (TCC TC-750LC phono preamp)

FiiO D03k digital to analog converter to connect the TV

and I have a PC connected using a Xonar Essence STX sound card for spotify streaming, etc.

I've also been using a nvidia shield tv connected to the tv, for netflix, youtube, and spotify. However Spotify doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it does from the PC. I'm not sure if this is the nvidia shield or the FiiO DAC that is the difference there.

Ideally I'd love to get an amplifier that does everything or most of those things. Phono stage built in, optical input for the tv, spotify connect built in?

In terms of speakers I'm running theloudspeakerkit f6 mk2 tower speakers (4ohm speakers rated up to 150watts) and a whatmough tornado 2 active sub. It's been serving all round use for TV, movies and music. Primarily I want a good setup for music with tv/movies secondary. Music listening these days is mainly streaming spotify premium with occasional listening to vinyl/cds/ or flac/mp3 files. 

Any suggestions on amplifier upgrade options up to $2000?

Some options that look interesting are the NAD C368, marantz pm6006, Onkyo tx-8150, Yamaha A-S701. If I had double the money maybe a Simaudio Moon Ace looks like it does everything.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Are you open to used gear?  There is value for money gear in the Classifieds... 

1 hour ago, andrewinbriz said:

Just reiterating: there is often fantastic value in the classifieds.

Yes open to used gear and I've been looking through the classifieds. Nothing really jumping out at me for amplifiers but I did see a couple bluesound nodes for sale which could be an option for spotify.

39 minutes ago, Irek said:

Streamer, amplifier with good power, stereo + HT + 2 subwoofers in one box. Maybe Cambridge Audio CXR200 ?

Wow I hadn't looked at AV receivers but that looks like it does almost everything and can run in two channel mode. Slightly above my budget but will keep in mind.

Keep in mind that a $59 Chromecast Audio will turn any integrated with a good DAC into a Spotify capable amp.

With that in mind, I'm seeing a few places with the Rotel RA-1572 integrated on sale for roughly $2000. It has a very good DAC (with optical, coax, and PC USB inputs), heaps of power (120wpc @ 8ohms), a MM phono pre, aptX Bluetooth, and a subwoofer out. There's not much better at that price imo.

Another (cheaper) option might be the Yamaha R-N803D. 100wpc, DAC, Play-Fi streaming, sub out with room correction (I believe), and even DAB radio.

For used amps try Yamaha AS2100 and 1100 plus Musical Fidelity etc. Gumtree had a 2100. Also combinations of used preamp and power can be found for the same money like Audiolab 8000 pre and power etc. you coud even put together a tube preamp for $500-1000 and same value power amp depending how old gear you are ok with that will sound like a $5000-10000 rrp new setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll be hard pressed to find an integrated amp that can do what the nvidia can do.

A Raspberry Pi with one of a number of media OS can serve for WiFi streaming. I have Volumio running for 32-bit/192k USB DSD output to a Rotel RA-1592 which sounds properly amazing to me. When I introduced myself here a short while ago I had planned to replace all of my gear with a decent bookshelf system, but was persuaded to consider keeping my speakers and focusing on the amp and source. I also started with a $2,000 budget but sprang for the $3,000 Rotel RA-1592 instead. Suffice to say I don't regret a cent of that purchase, it's a daily pleasure to listen to.

On 29/11/2018 at 6:50 PM, neb said:

Some options that look interesting are the NAD C368..

If you are looking for a 1 box solution and usability, streaming are important, suggest getting the C368 with optional MDC module with BluOS. 

• Like 1

Not quite sure how much power you need, but I have the Marantz PM6006 hooked up to a TV, sounds nice, plenty of power in that situation. I have the TV (an LG Oled) audio out connected to the amps DAC input via optical.

Amp gets great reviews and is well under your budget, I have tried a VAF bookshelf and VAF and JAMO Floorstanders with it.

On 10/12/2018 at 9:25 AM, Snoopy8 said:

If you are looking for a 1 box solution and usability, streaming are important, suggest getting the C368 with optional MDC module with BluOS. 

This was definitely an option I was considering. I haven't heard it but on paper the 368 with Bluos module ticks a lot of boxes.

14 hours ago, Rhythm Willie said:

Not quite sure how much power you need, but I have the Marantz PM6006 hooked up to a TV, sounds nice, plenty of power in that situation. I have the TV (an LG Oled) audio out connected to the amps DAC input via optical.

Amp gets great reviews and is well under your budget, I have tried a VAF bookshelf and VAF and JAMO Floorstanders with it.

Interesting that you mention the PM6006 as I ended up buying a Marantz PM7005. The reason I went for the PM7005 is it has a little more power than the PM6006 - 60 watts compared to 45 watts at 8ohm. But otherwise I think they are pretty similar. It has a good selection of inputs with optical, coaxial and usb digital inputs, as well as a MM phono input. So I can now connect everything directly to the amplifier which is nice. TV audio out via optical, computer via usb, and record player directly to the phono input. My nvidia shield also works connected directly with usb which is cool.

It doesn't have a pre-out which is a bit of a bummer, but my sub has speaker level inputs/outputs so it wasn't a deal breaker.

In terms of how it sounds, I have only had the amp for a couple of days, but first impressions are that it's a warmer more laid back sound compared to the cambridge I had. Which is interesting listening through various songs. Most music sounds amazing while some songs can sound like they're lacking a bit of energy, but still really nice musically. Overall I think it sounds much nicer than the cambridge audio amp and looking forward to more listening.

Also may have caught the upgrade bug after hearing the difference an amp can make, has me contemplating a speaker upgrade...

4 minutes ago, neb said:

Interesting that you mention the PM6006 as I ended up buying a Marantz PM7005. The reason I went for the PM7005 is it has a little more power than the PM6006 - 60 watts compared to 45 watts at 8ohm. But otherwise I think they are pretty similar. It has a good selection of inputs with optical, coaxial and usb digital inputs, as well as a MM phono input. So I can now connect everything directly to the amplifier which is nice. TV audio out via optical, computer via usb, and record player directly to the phono input. My nvidia shield also works connected directly with usb which is cool.

It doesn't have a pre-out which is a bit of a bummer, but my sub has speaker level inputs/outputs so it wasn't a deal breaker.

In terms of how it sounds, I have only had the amp for a couple of days, but first impressions are that it's a warmer more laid back sound compared to the cambridge I had. Which is interesting listening through various songs. Most music sounds amazing while some songs can sound like they're lacking a bit of energy, but still really nice musically. Overall I think it sounds much nicer than the cambridge audio amp and looking forward to more listening.

Also may have caught the upgrade bug after hearing the difference an amp can make, has me contemplating a speaker upgrade...

Nice! Having demoed (and subsequently put money down on) a PM8006, I can tell you that, perhaps surprisingly, the Marantz sound seems to go well with Klipsch Reference stuff. The sound signatures balance each other out nicely (the Marantz brings the polish, the Klipsch the excitement) and you can go quite loud for the power used.

They're both distributed by the same company, so demoing should be straight forward if you're curious.

Another pairing that I like with Marantz is Monitor Audio (Silver Series and up). Generally anything with a bit of extra top end that is at least moderately efficient is worth checking out, in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, twofires said:

Nice! Having demoed (and subsequently put money down on) a PM8006, I can tell you that, perhaps surprisingly, the Marantz sound seems to go well with Klipsch Reference stuff. The sound signatures balance each other out nicely (the Marantz brings the polish, the Klipsch the excitement) and you can go quite loud for the power used.

They're both distributed by the same company, so demoing should be straight forward if you're curious.

Another pairing that I like with Marantz is Monitor Audio (Silver Series and up). Generally anything with a bit of extra top end that is at least moderately efficient is worth checking out, in my opinion. 

Nice, thanks for the advice on speaker pairing. That makes sense pairing a more lively sounding speaker with marantz amplifiers. I have also read that Focal and Dynaudio are a good match with Marantz. Think I will have to do some listening!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neb said:

Nice, thanks for the advice on speaker pairing. That makes sense pairing a more lively sounding speaker with marantz amplifiers. I have also read that Focal and Dynaudio are a good match with Marantz. Think I will have to do some listening!

I've heard the same about Focal, although I haven't heard it in person. Not sure about Dyns. They're a great speaker, but hard to drive - you might find the Marantz struggles if you like it loud.

• Like 1