Volume controling and noise

Hi Guys

I am using a pre-pro and a Yamaha AV receiver to power 5 channles.

Which unit should be used for controlling the volume ( I am presuming the pre-pro ) and that's how I have always done it. Besides I don't want to use the remote for the old Yamaha amp to control volume.

So the way I have it is default volume level 40/100 on the pre-pro and -1db on the Yamaha amp  ( that's pretty much full power ). Is this a normal way to setup? Or should I use only 50-75% power on the amplifier ? I don't like using the pre-pro at numbers into the 70's and 80's to get to my level though, it's just the way my mind works, feels like it lacks power.

The problem I have is introduced noise. When on 5.1 input I get audible low level noise in the speakers. If I turn the pre-pro to OFF the noise goes away. So is this normal when running the amp at -1 db .? It's in all speakers, I don't think there is an issue with the interconnects.

If you drop the volume on the RXV1, is the noise still there?  Also, try unplugging connections on the Integra, maybe noise coming from one of attached components.  

FYI, this is posted on wrong Forum, which discusses 2ch stereo ! 

59 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

If you drop the volume on the RXV1, is the noise still there?

No, If I take it to 80% ( -20 db ) I cant hear any noise.

I guess that answers my question. I have to use higher levels on the Integra. I don't really understand the setting for absolute or relative in the menu for volume level.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shueardm1 said:

No, If I take it to 80% ( -20 db ) I cant hear any noise.

I guess that answers my question. I have to use higher levels on the Integra. 

There is some noise coming from the Integra which is being amplified by the Yamaha at high volume.  It is likely to be coming from one of your components attached to the Integra.

14 minutes ago, shueardm1 said:

I don't really understand the setting for absolute or relative in the menu for volume level.

Maybe this will hep:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/‘relative’-vs-‘absolute’-volume-what’s-difference

9 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

It is likely to be coming from one of your components attached to the Integra.

The noise was regardless of selected input 

Ive just decided to use -20 and increase the Integra.

Thanks for the help and link, will read up on it.

In regards to reference level at 0 db ( using relative ) , how does this take into account the volume of the amp connected to it? It doesn't ? If I am at 80% on power amp then my reference level 0 db on pre amp is really not that at all , unless I use 100% power on the amp?

Edited by shueardm1

10 minutes ago, shueardm1 said:

The noise was regardless of selected input 

Noise may be coming from a component, a cable regardless of selected input. The only way to test is to disconnect the component.

4 minutes ago, shueardm1 said:

In regards to reference level at 0 db ( using relative ) , how does this take into account the volume of the amp connected to it? It doesn't ? If I am at 80% on power amp then my reference level 0 db on pre amp is really not that at all , unless I use 100% power on the amp?

It cannot take into account both units. The only way is to measure using a calibrated microphone, and noting settings on both units.  But why is it so important to know the actual level?

9 minutes ago, shueardm1 said:

I removed all connected components and it changed nothing.

You may have a ground loop or your Integra is noisy. Have a look at this article to determine whether it is a ground loop

https://www.techhive.com/article/3063590/home-audio/how-to-get-rid-of-hum-and-eliminate-other-noises-from-your-audio-and-video-systems.amp.html