AVR for Focal 5.1 system

Hi ,

Friend of mine is planning to buy HT system, so far he picked two options of speakers. He asked me for advice regarding AVR so I recommended NAD 757 v3 to go with Focal Chorus. When it comes to aria series I am not sure what would be the best option for a reasonable money. What do you guys think about Cambridge Audio CXR200?

One box solution is preferable.   

System 1.

FOCAL CHORUS 726

Focal Chorus CC700 Centre Speaker

FOCAL CHORUS SR700 SURROUNDs

FOCAL CHORUS Subwoofer

System 2.

FOCAL ARIA 926 FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS

Focal Aria CC900 Center Speaker

Focal Aria SR 900 Surround Speakers

Focal Aria subwoofer. 

34 minutes ago, Irek said:

He asked me for advice regarding AVR so I recommended NAD 757 v3 to go with Focal Chorus. When it comes to aria series I am not sure what would be the best option for a reasonable money. What do you guys think about Cambridge Audio CXR200?

Minor correction: NAD 758V3.  ?

The CXR200 has a higher  power output (and good that both CA and NAD quote all channels driven numbers!).  But I think both the Chorus and Aria speakers have similar sensitivity at 8 ohms,  so if the 758V3 can drive the Chrous, it can certainly drive the Aria.  I would argue that Dirac Live (for NAD Version 2.0 just came out) would provide more benefit than the higher power output of the CXR200.  If more power is desired, then go the T777V3 or if budget permits, the Arcam  AVR850 (which also has Dirac Live).

• Like 1

Guest vagabond

Both the Aria and Chorus have an impedence dip around 100Hz, to 2.5Ohms. With a phase shift of nearly 90° IIRC.  Bear that in mind when looking at AVRs, not all of them will cope with that at high volumes. 

1 hour ago, vagabond said:

Both the Aria and Chorus have an impedence dip around 100Hz, to 2.5Ohms. With a phase shift of nearly 90° IIRC.  Bear that in mind when looking at AVRs, not all of them will cope with that at high volumes. 

Thanks for the info, so which one would you go with? Cambridge audio or Nad?

Guest vagabond
2 hours ago, Irek said:

Don't know sorry, I have Focals but use a power amp for them rather than an AVR. I'd suggest avoid anything that doesn't rate itself down to 4Ω but I've got not much clue apart from that.

15 hours ago, Irek said:

With an impedance suckout like that [ and if you like to turn up the db;s ] consider using either models pre outs . That said the CA has the better power amp specs although the NAD's 60w are more honestly quoted with a THD limit 

ca-120 watts RMS per channel, 8 ohms (all 7 channels driven) nad - 7 x 60W (0.05% THD, 20-20kHz)

If you listen at reasonable levels the NAD has 3 factors the CA doesn't ' dirac live room eq vs none[ basic speaker distance /volume ] ; full object surround capability with a separate power amp or even 5.1.2 without one and a full set of pre outs vs l/r only for the CA ..

Its apparent the NAD has a good power supply as it doubles down when driving a harder 4 ohm load although this spec isn't w/rms with freq response and thd limits for accuracy.. IHF standard instead. Hope this has helped ; dirac as good as it is now will only improve as dirac 2.0 is only early stages atm ..

8 Ohms 137W 4 Ohms 243W

•  

Edited by cwt
  • Like 1