On yahoo it means no returns and no refunds.  Although they do say in the description that it powers up but they have not checked that it actually gets sound to come out of speakers so that is that to be considered too. 

However, that is why it is so cheap.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cafad said:

On yahoo it means no returns and no refunds.  Although they do say in the description that it powers up but they have not checked that it actually gets sound to come out of speakers so that is that to be considered too. 

However, that is why it is so cheap.

Great to know and thank you for explanation. :)  

1 hour ago, Spider27 said:

The description says that its condition is JUNK. Not sure if it means that it is not working or working. :)

Neither, really.

The original non-translated Japanese from the Yahoo auctions says this:

ジャンク品

This is 'Junk' product.

In Japan, secondhand goods are often either classed 'As New', or 'Junk'. So they either look like they could be sold again as brand new items, or they are something else (missing a part, or a manual, or a box, or they have some damage somewhere, on a case by case basis).

You are advised then that the Seller considers this quality below the usual item they sell, and it does not meet their usual standards for selling in that it does not present as near-perfect. Which for many Western buyers, is absolutely fine.  :) 

As Cafad notes, they have checked initially that it has power, and that's about all they were prepared to do. So it's sold on 'As is' and all responsibility passes to the Buyer for it's eventual condition. It could be great, or it could be someone else's problem.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
10 minutes ago, Cafad said:

It should come in under 25kg with packaging so postage will be a few hundred but it won't be anywhere near as crippling as a 907.

Proxy sites are well known to “repackage” an item to make sure it’s over the weight. Then you have the lovely option of paying the extra shipping or relinquishing the item. Fun hey. 

Has anyone gone to Japan to pick up an amp like a 907? It seems that postage is around $800-$1000 so are there impediments to flying there with just carry on luggage and toting it back. Whacky audiophiles eh?

Will they let you pick it up locally for free? Im sure there must be a thread somewhere...

23 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

Proxy sites are well known to “repackage” an item to make sure it’s over the weight. Then you have the lovely option of paying the extra shipping or relinquishing the item. Fun hey. 

I was not aware of that, how disappointing.  I don't believe I've experienced this (hard to be certain of course) but then most of my purchases were 33kg before packaging so there was no way any of them were going to make the 25kg limit anyway.

I have experienced poor packaging and have had to ask for repackaging (and specify double boxing) in order to prevent damage in transit.  I think I was being charged about 1500 yen (just under $20 aussie) for the extensive repackaging I wanted.

1 hour ago, DEANO23 said:
On 25/11/2018 at 7:24 PM, Cafad said:
http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=q252990519

Nice condition Sansui 999DG for what is currently a very nice price of $23 US.

Having never bought anything there do you know how to arrange it ?

I've been buying through Kuboten.  You bid/buy through them (have to send them enough $$ to cover the price of whatever you bid on beforehand as a deposit) they get the item sent to them then they give you a freight quote to send it on out of Japan.

I've been told there are several other companies but I've only used the one.  They are reliable but not exactly fast. (but then I have been asking for that extra packaging so I couldn't really expect fast)

• Like 2

I feel I should point out that yahoo is not ebay so don't go expecting them to be.  Their ratings system on items is not the easiest to understand and if you are searching for a bargain there is a good chance that the cheap price you are looking at is cheap because the item has a fault.  If an item is given a "junk" rating then you are effectively buying at your own risk, there are no returns and no refunds if the word "junk" appears in the description. 

http://yahoo.aleado.com/term_new_use_en.htm  Give it a read.

I didn't let this stop me, only twice have I bought an item that was not ranked junk and I've only found minor issues.  But then Sansuis are built like tanks and I was reading the item descriptions carefully before bidding.

Also remember that Japan uses 100 Volt mains power and much of the gear on sale on Yahoo is not multi-voltage.  A step down transformer will be necessary.

Having said all that though, there is no reason why we shouldn't take advantage of such a large marketplace.  Yahoo is huge.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Cafad said:

I feel I should point out that yahoo is not ebay so don't go expecting them to be.  Their ratings system on items is not the easiest to understand and if you are searching for a bargain there is a good chance that the cheap price you are looking at is cheap because the item has a fault.  If an item is given a "junk" rating then you are effectively buying at your own risk, there are no returns and no refunds if the word "junk" appears in the description. 

http://yahoo.aleado.com/term_new_use_en.htm  Give it a read.

I didn't let this stop me, only twice have I bought an item that was not ranked junk and I've only found minor issues.  But then Sansuis are built like tanks and I was reading the item descriptions carefully before bidding.

Also remember that Japan uses 100 Volt mains power and much of the gear on sale on Yahoo is not multi-voltage.  A step down transformer will be necessary.

Overall, Japanese people in general usually take care of their equipment and i have noticed that a unit that is described as junk can most of time just be cosmetic.  

This 999DG looks too cheap but i could be wrong.

Edited by Sansui77
  • Like 1

The closest equivalent model wise right this minute would be this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SANSUI-AU-a607-EXTRA-Integrated-amplifier-transistor-AC100V-Working-Pro-d357/253984686745?epid=1387276312&hash=item3b22aac299:g:9jQAAOSwjBVbxeEQ:rk:8:pf:0

It's guaranteed to work and the price includes postage, where the Yahoo price does not include postage and the 999DG has a built in DAC and has a remote controllable volume so it isn't a great comparison. 

The thing is you find so much stuff on yahoo that you just don't see on ebay (or at least is only seen very rarely on ebay).

With regards cost of carrying them back on a flight it could be anything from $80-200 on top of your flight ticket depending on the ticket you bought. I often travel light with only carry-on 7kg cabin luggage to save on flight cost. It varies a lot as the saving can be irrelevant if the flight sale is on and time of year travelling.

For example, a ticket to Tokyo low season can be as low as $700 return or over $1500 high season. 

One way is to have normal checked in baggage limit of around 25kg, not fill it up much on the way there, have a good time in Japan for the cost of ticket, grab your audio item, chuck it in the suitcase well padded, put your other stuff in the cabin luggage bag or around the Audio item as padding. I did this last year.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For those who were wondering about Yahoo Aleado's condition rankings I copied the below from a current listing.  The translations aren't perfect but you can get the general gist of things.  Basically if the ranking is G or J then there are no returns and no refunds.  

☆ condition inscription 
[N]⇒ unused goods .( unused breaking the seal goods . contains )
⇒ beautiful goods . ultimate a little . use impression * passing of years . exist , very beautiful goods .
[A]⇒ superior article . use impression * passing of years is little exist ., generally excellent . impression . receive goods .
⇒ normal . use impression * passing of years is seen ., general use regarding problem . not goods .
[C]⇒ large scratch . dirt * loss place * light damage etc. is seen ., general use . problem . not goods .
[G]⇒ present condition delivery goods . operation not yet verification goods etc. .
[J]⇒ junk . main place . defect . verification was done goods .

※ details concerning , photograph please look .

※ condition rank . standard is , store staff . subjectivity becomes therefore reference standard . please think .
※[G][J]no rank concerning , returned goods repayment object out .. exhibit becomes .

However sometimes a seller will mention some kind of defect in the description and still rate the item higher than a G.  As always with buying from the internet, if it makes you nervous or uncertain in any way then you shouldn't click your mouse on it.

Edited by Cafad