Something I've never understood about Klipsch speaker specs

@jamiebosco So basically the reason the specs and recs don't add up is because they literally don't add up? That...  was not the answer I was expecting. Of all I've read it makes the most sense, though.

Question is, why lie? It's not like 91dB is bad. 

Edited by twofires
  • Like 1

Klipsch and many other manufactures overstate their sensitivity measurements, its a numbers game, it all depends on how and what they measure, the bigger the number the better they look.. must be a male thing :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 7.1 Klipsch reference setup comprising of the original rf5 mains, rc7 centre and rs7 surrounds. I feed the mains 200watts per channel and the rest of the system 150 watts per channel via Rotel 10 series power amps. Although these speakers a quite efficient they love some power. The room is 7x4.5m. Two channel audio is excellent but movies with this setup is where they shine. Ive had these setup since 2007 and the speakers are still very capable.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking about pairing my CXA60 with the Klipsch RP-600M speakers discussed in this thread.

I'm only just starting out down the path to build a nice audio ecosystem, and I must admit most of the discussion on the optimum amp power for these speakers is a little over my head, so I'd definitely appreciate any advice as to whether this could make a reasonable pairing. I'll also call in to a local hifi retailer to see if I can hear it for myself.

I've provided what I think are the relevant power specs for the amp below. Thanks!

POWER OUTPUT

60W RMS into 8 Ohms, 90W RMS into 4 Ohms

MAX POWER CONSUMPTION

600W

22 minutes ago, flat_eric said:

I'm thinking about pairing my CXA60 with the Klipsch RP-600M speakers discussed in this thread.

I'm only just starting out down the path to build a nice audio ecosystem, and I must admit most of the discussion on the optimum amp power for these speakers is a little over my head, so I'd definitely appreciate any advice as to whether this could make a reasonable pairing. I'll also call in to a local hifi retailer to see if I can hear it for myself.

I've provided what I think are the relevant power specs for the amp below. Thanks!

POWER OUTPUT

60W RMS into 8 Ohms, 90W RMS into 4 Ohms

MAX POWER CONSUMPTION

600W

According to the stereophile measurements which I would trust much more than marketing blurb from the manufacturer, their efficiency is far far lower than the ad states.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-reference-premiere-rp-600m-loudspeaker-measurements

"The Klipsch's specified sensitivity is an extraordinarily high 96dB/2.83V/m. My estimate was much lower, at 89.6dB(B)/2.83V/m"

Additionally whilst they state they're 8ohm speakers, the stereophile measurements show a lot of the time they're even below 4ohm.

That would make them much harder to drive than is stated in their blurb. I don't know much about the amp you're considering apart from what I read on their website, but one that only produces 50% more power into 4 ohms than it does 8 ohms will probably drive them satisfactorily with its 90 watts but probably not ideal to drive them and won't be extremely loud (which is what you might believe if they really were that efficient.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hope I am not alone in finding some of the well meaning advice here rather confusing.   Makes no sense that an amp ought to be rated greater than the speaker?  My valve amp is 25 p/c watts so huh? 

Thinking about grabbing a "toy/fun" valve amp made in China, rated at 3.5W p/channel at 8 ohms. {Edit - that is 3 point 5 watts!}  that @twofires perhaps makes reference to in the OP.  Some of the comments (see link below) say they use Klipsch bookshelf high efficiency (>92 or 93dB? 96 would be pretty cool), but now I'm not sure WTF.

I'm not prepared to splash big on speakers for something of a desk/bedroom/gift amp.  Watts become irrelevant, I think.  Cuppla watts output max will be more than tasty.

edit, oops - 

https://tubedepot.com/products/tubecube-7-stereo-vacuum-tube-amplifier

Edited by Lloyd

4 hours ago, Lloyd said:

I hope I am not alone in finding some of the well meaning advice here rather confusing.   Makes no sense that an amp ought to be rated greater than the speaker?  My valve amp is 25 p/c watts so huh?

Nothing wrong with having an amp with more power than the speakers are rated at. Most damage to speakers occurs due to underpowered amplifiers being driven to clipping and damaging the speakers rather than driving them too hard with too much power. Valve amps are less likely to damage when they're driven to their limits though since they soft clip, unlike solid state components, but it's still possible.  Having clean power available to the limits of the speakers is a perfectly valid way to ensure you're driving them to the best of their ability. Having loads of extra power means your amp will always be operating in its optimum range.