Jump to content

PauliD

Panasonic DP-UB420 audio filters and tips

Recommended Posts

Hey SNAers

 

I picked up a Panasonic UHD player that I have been looking at for a while. Would have loved to get something like an Oppo 203 or even the new top-o-the-line panasonic player (depending on reviews) but don't have the funds right now.

 

I like the dual HMDI so I can run a cable straight into the TV and the audio into the AVR. It does confuse the AVR as the CEC keeps switching back to the TV's ARC connection for every time I start an app or disc. Small complaint, means I need to have the AVR remote handy at all times tho = less drink/snack space on my side table ;) 

 

The 4:4:4 upscaling is really good and even playing files from a NAS has benefited from the HCX image processing. I also notice smoother/more constant frames in movies panning shots compared to the LGs internal player and chromecast. Is this a better snycing, Hz stuff? I only have a SDR TV but it has deep-colour.

 

The other thing I noticed poking about in the menus is the audio post processing it has. There are a bunch of setting from 'remaster 1, remaster 2, remaster 3.... and a bunch of other names' about 16 in all with an associated bit depth and sample frequency. I have googled it but can't find anything that says what or how these post processing filters work. I played about with some a bit on Deadpool 2 and The Last Jedi and couldn't really tell. Possibly not even compatible with Atmos?

How about any other Panna UHD player owners? Any tips for the image settings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a pic will help explain better 🤓

8EBADA65-483A-4D59-BF84-503EC4FA32B0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PauliD said:

The other thing I noticed poking about in the menus is the audio post processing it has. There are a bunch of setting from 'remaster 1, remaster 2, remaster 3.... and a bunch of other names' about 16 in all with an associated bit depth and sample frequency. I have googled it but can't find anything that says what or how these post processing filters work. I played about with some a bit on Deadpool 2 and The Last Jedi and couldn't really tell. Possibly not even compatible with Atmos? 

My ub900 has similar filters Pauli that resample the audio to make it sound like a tube amp . It can be very subtle when upsampling is used and its easy to program a dsp chip with some reverb or delay to change its sound. All this wont effect your atmos bitstream ; its for the analog outs and sp/dif outputs thankfully. I just use auto mostly so the pana will upscale to 4:4:4 as that uses its multi tap processor when hooked up to a 12 bit projector but you may want to let the 420 bit map your panel instead which is more involved than the 900 was..

ub900 offers a range of Sound Effects settings to upsample lower-res files to up to 192-kHz/32-bit resolution or apply processing modes that model the effects of vacuum tube amps on audio signals.

 

Quote

 

I like the dual HMDI so I can run a cable straight into the TV and the audio into the AVR. It does confuse the AVR as the CEC keeps switching back to the TV's ARC connection for every time I start an app or disc.


 

The 900 has a quirk where the audio is switched off from hdmi 1 out when audio is sent out hdmi 2 to keep the video pristine . Whether that has an effect on cec control [and ARC consequently trying to send audio back] you can experiment ..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks cwt,

 

Good to know the dsp audio effects are for non-hdmi outputs (there are no analogue outputs on the 420). I may one day have a play with them and run a optical cable to my CXN and have a listen.

 

I'll double check the settings for the video HDMI cable sending audio. I'm pretty sure it's set to 'Automatic' as there is no 'off' option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive got the same player which ive been playing with (well was until my projector temp died).  Some people were complainign ti was noisy on the Uk avforums but i can't hear a thing.

 

Only complaint so far is the remote is tiny and very cheap.

 

Whay are you seperating the audio from video with the hdmi cables? Is there any benefit.  I was just going to run the 1 cable through my Yamaha 2070

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah I too haven't thought it to be loud at all. You can hear a faint noise of the disc spinning is all in a dead quiet room.

 

Oh yes the remote is annoying. I am forever pressing the Netflix button when I mean to press up on the D-Pad. That really kills the mood when you have to wait for it to quit what you are doing, then load Netflix just to close it all and navigate back to where you were. The remote looks pretty standard from a handful of panasonic players I have used.

 

Yes I'm running a video HDMI straight into a Deep-colour compliant port on my TV, no fancy HDR for me yet. The Audio HDMI out into my AVR. I find that this has almost stopped any audio crackles I was getting in Atmos movies. Most noticeable in loud/audio intense scenes. That said I should get some better HDMI cables than the $4 officeworks 4k cables I'm using, they must not be able to do 18Gbps consistently. Using the audio only HDMI has greatly reduced it though, so thats a good reason for using the two. Subjectively I'd say that the image is better direct to TV than going through the AVR, but it's hard to measure and could be a placebo especially as the UHD 'should' be better than a HD bluray. The only other UHD player I have is an XB1S and think it looks a little washed out. The pana has a better picture than the Sony 6700 player that upscales to 4K. That could be the HCX chip is better at 4:4:4, more than the dedicated HDMI for video.

 

So if you don't have great cables then give it a go. I think removing a device in the chain has to be a good thing. Lets know how you go if you give it a try :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Moderator
2 hours ago, T800 said:

Whay are you seperating the audio from video with the hdmi cables? Is there any benefit.  I was just going to run the 1 cable through my Yamaha 2070

don't if you can avoid... as then what happens is both are processed separately and there is a guaranteed chance of lip synch issues. with audio and video on the same hdmi stream its the audio that keeps things in synch :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
18 minutes ago, PauliD said:

Oh yes the remote is annoying. I am forever pressing the Netflix button when I mean to press up on the D-Pad. That really kills the mood when you have to wait for it to quit what you are doing, then load Netflix just to close it all and navigate back to where you were. The remote looks pretty standard from a handful of panasonic players I have used.

harmony ? and then chuck the factory remote in a draw never to be seen again :D 

 

19 minutes ago, PauliD said:

Yes I'm running a video HDMI straight into a Deep-colour compliant port on my TV, no fancy HDR for me yet. The Audio HDMI out into my AVR. I find that this has almost stopped any audio crackles I was getting in Atmos movies. Most noticeable in loud/audio intense scenes. That said I should get some better HDMI cables than the $4 officeworks 4k cables I'm using, they must not be able to do 18Gbps consistently

if a short length say upto 2m they quite likely are :) 

 

my 10m officeworks cable has passed full bandwidth cable test across 4 devices :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll chat to santa about a harmony remote :P

 

The only lip sync issues I have had is Netflix. Simply pause, wait a sec, then play fixes things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, betty boop said:

harmony ? and then chuck the factory remote in a draw never to be seen again :D 

 

if a short length say upto 2m they quite likely are :) 

 

my 10m officeworks cable has passed full bandwidth cable test across 4 devices :) 

 What’s the best harmony remote to get? The 650 looks good for the price, but I like the look of the model above it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×