SOLD: FS: Relist & Price Drop: EAR DAC 4

SOLD

Item: EAR Yoshino DAC 4
Price: $4800
Item Condition: 9/10 (see description)
Reason for selling: No longer required
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info: Have original packaging, can ship.

Somewhat surprised this wasn't snapped up last time, so having another go with a clearer explanation of what makes this DAC so special... it's not by accident that it currently lists for US$7995 new.
https://www.ttvjaudio.com/EAR_DAC_4_High_End_DAC_p/ear0000887.htm 

The EAR DAC 4 is an example of how important implementation is - it runs dual WM8741 chips (high end Wolfson), and everything there up has a bespoke design to deliver an experience that is vinyl/analog-esque.
The output stage of my unit has 4 x ECC88 (6JD8) tubes, which as you will see from the Positive Feedback (Robert Levi) review is better than the PCC88 option.
You don't need to worry about tube life, which for ECC88s generally is around 5000-10000 hours, and so far they almost certainly have had less than 300 hours (barely broken in). Unit was build in Feb 2017 (see photos).

The DACs I have historically owned include the Chord Hugo2, Metrum Pavane, and Chord DAVE. When comparing to the DAVE, the Hugo2 sounds flat and 2-dimensional. And the Pavane clearly loses the edge on detail retrieval and air.

However, the comparison of the DAC 4 and DAVE highlights how extraordinary the Wolfson chips implementation is in the DAC 4. It takes several A/B's to find where the DAVE wins on microdetail. But the DAC 4 easily wins for sweetness in the mids (as you'd expect with the tube output stage).

The DAC 4 is a material step up from both the Hugo2 and the Pavane.

The DAVE is perhaps better at analytics but the DAC4 is better for listening and the "zen" sensation.

But... I have decided to keep my ARC Reference 3 for now... which helps the DAVE smooth out its sound signature and make it less fatiguing.

So to say that differently: I had to add a reference tube pre-amp to the chain to make the DAVE a superior source to the DAC4. If you don't want to invest the materially higher amount of money for the DAVE/tube pre-amp combo, the DAC4 can get you to a very similar sound signature for my asking price.

When I purchased this from the previous owner, the remote control was a bit moody (sometime worked, sometimes didn't). Turns out it was on its last legs from a battery perspective. I haven't needed the remote, as the DAC 4 has been primarily used for headphone listening (makes the Focal Utopia sing). You probably need to get in touch with EAR Yoshino UK to get yourself a replacement, can't imagine it would be that expensive. Other solutions including using an external preamp/going integrated amp, or just changing volume manually (which is what I do), as I just set it at the level I always listen at.

(You will see in the photos below that the front of the DAC is reflective, which looks great, but hard to avoid showing my ugly mug when taking a front on photo... so have used alternative viewpoints)

Pictures:

Ear DAC4 5.jpg

Ear Dac4 2.jpg

Ear Dac4 3.jpg

EAR Dac4 4.jpg

Edited by WedgeBiggs
  • Like 2

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, Standards said:

Beautiful sounding DAC. Would be my dream if they ever released a black version!

If the colour of the front is all that's standing in the way of getting this, then, you know, Nikko pen.

Just ordered a brand new remote from EAR UK (to replace the current wobbly one), as well as a quad set of the 6JD8s (as spares).

Will include this for free to the buyer if bought at the now heavily reduced list price. That's another $400 of value.

Quick update: new remote and new tubes have safely arrived from the UK - and remote has been fully tested.

Can now confirm that the unit will come with a perfectly functioning remote control (controls volume).

So now works well as a high end DAC and preamp (with 4 x 6JD8 tubes). Not a bad way to reduce box count...!