AKAI CS-M02 trouble

I picked up an Akai CS-M02 today for next to nothing.

After turning it on it didn't do anything when pressing the play reverse fforward keys but when I gave the wheel a nudge off it went. I turned it off then on again and will not play at all now.

Is this a motor issue or something else? This is my first attempt at fixing a cassette deck so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Here's a flick

Thanks

akai.jpg

Edited by dust_dustbin

Most likely the motor. It's not unusual to see old motors becoming intermittent. It's usually the a brushes problem. Just not the Voltage of the motor (probably 12 Volts) and the direction (yours appears to be CCW - Counter Clock-Wise) and order a new motor from Wagner. You'll need to carefully remove the pulley (may be held by a small grub screw, or just glued on) and re-attach to the new motor. You'll need a good speed tape and a frequency counter to set the correct speed of course. At this tie, you should replace the belts, clean/replace the idler and clean the pinch rollers, capstan, heads and guides.

7 hours ago, dust_dustbin said:

Thanks Zaphod

Could you recommend a good motor from Wagner?

Part # 500AD2B should work fine.

7 hours ago, dust_dustbin said:

Also as I got it cheap and can return it, is it worth returning and looking for a new one or should this fix make it worth the while.

Thanks 

IMO, it's not worth the effort. Low end machines from Nakamichi, or high end machines from TEAC, Sony Akai, and the others are better candidates, IMO. However, it's up to you.

Do you have a calibrated speed tape and frequency counter to check the speed after repair?

I think I'll wait it out and keep looking for a better one although I'm going to read up on fixing it anyway as it's something of interest.

I don't own a calibrated speed tape or frequency counter but again it's something I'll keep an eye out for.

I appreciate your help

A few things.

Did you remove the belt and check if the motor comes alive when play is pressed without the motor in place? It could be the mechanism frozen or belt slipping on the pulley of the motor.

Does the deck have sensors to detect if there is a tape in place? Sometimes they get dirty. Usually found along the top of the slot where the tape goes in. Usually they are reed switches which can get dirty and the deck then thinks there is no tape inserted.

You can remove the motor and test it with a DC battery of appropriate voltage. You can also apply a few drops of lube to the shaft under the pulley and let it soak in overnight and it may cure a bearing issue.

Drew