Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Arvo Maggie lovers

Long time box speaker user here tempted by panels, seeking advice.  

Current set up is an Innuos Zen feeding an Oppo UDP205 feeding Duch & Duch 8c monitors.

What I love about this set up is few parts, many options and great off axis performance.

What I would like more of is bottom end heft, higher SPL (without the smell of burning voice coils) and tonal coherence.

The splinter in my mind that wont go away is the shape of an Innuous Zenith feeding a H2O Audio Fire preamp feeding a pair of H2O Audio M250SE monoblocks (500W into 4 ohms class D) feeding maggie 20.7's. Options include Rhythmic servo subs and Bi/Tri amping probably still with M250SE's however I know nothing about doing this and its relative merits.

Over to you...

Ara

On 05/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ara said:

Arvo Maggie lovers

Current set up is an Innuos Zen feeding an Oppo UDP205 feeding Duch & Duch 8c monitors.

What I love about this set up is few parts, many options and great off axis performance.

What I would like more of is bottom end heft, higher SPL (without the smell of burning voice coils) and tonal coherence.

The splinter in my mind that wont go away is the shape of an Innuous Zenith feeding a H2O Audio Fire preamp feeding a pair of H2O Audio M250SE monoblocks (500W into 4 ohms class D) feeding maggie 20.7's. Options include Rhythmic servo subs and Bi/Tri amping probably still with M250SE's however I know nothing about doing this and its relative merits.

Over to you...

Ara

Go listen to a pair of well set up Maggie's. 

Experienced audiophiles like @andyr who has life long experience with Maggie's will get you on the right path.

Try before you buy. 

On 05/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ara said:

Arvo Maggie lovers

Over to you...

Ara

2 hours ago, ghost4man said:

Go listen to a pair of well set up Maggie's. 

Try before you buy. 

As Ozzie says, Ara - you need to go listen to some.  :)  As you are in the Blue Mountains, I suggest the best thing to do is visit Bill McLean (the Oz Maggie importer) in Gosford.  Surely it's only a few hours drive, each way - you can take a packed lunch!  :lol:  Bill might even have his 20.7s up for sale as I know he's just bought the new top model - the 30.7.

I would think a pair of H2O Audio M250SEs should be able to drive any of the passive Maggies quite well (except possibly the new 30.7s - as they have 2 bass panels).

The "X.7" models are alike in having a 1st order series XO ... which means you can only use 1 amplifier channel per side.  So, in terms of your options:

• a pair of Rythmik servo subs is easily added (many 20.7 owners use subs)
  • but, if you want to go 2-way or 3-way active, you need to remove (or bypass) the inbuilt passive XO and replace this with an active XO unit - such as a miniDSP or DEQX.  I've been running my Maggies 3-way active for almost 20 years; for the first 15 years or so, I used a 3-way analogue active XO - but about 3 years ago, when I added a pair of subs, I changed to using a miniDSP unit.
  • the beauty of a digital XO is that you can easily change slopes and roll-off points - and then instantly listen to the result, to decide which option you prefer.  :)

Good luck!  :thumb:

Andy

@Ara

Solid advice from Andy.

At this stage I would focus on just listening to what Bill has to offer in its generic state.

What Andy is talking about is really a long way down the track. Once you listen to them you will either fall 

in love with them straight away or decide its not for you.

For me, the moment I heard them I knew these were the speakers I wanted.

I now have 4 different sets.

You can - which is the detail that Andy goes through - make them sound even better with the modifications that

can be undertaken.

It is a constant source of amazement to me how well they sound given the commercial approach that Magnepan has to its 

construction - read cheap.

Cheers.

Ozzie

14 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

@Ara

Solid advice from Andy.

At this stage I would focus on just listening to what Bill has to offer in its generic state.

What Andy is talking about is really a long way down the track. Once you listen to them you will either fall 

in love with them straight away or decide its not for you.

For me, the moment I heard them I knew these were the speakers I wanted.

I now have 4 different sets.

You can - which is the detail that Andy goes through - make them sound even better with the modifications that

can be undertaken.

It is a constant source of amazement to me how well they sound given the commercial approach that Magnepan has to its 

construction - read cheap.

Cheers.

Ozzie

@Ara

Best you listen to them first, they are not for everyone.

(and yes I have owned a pair)

Thank you for your comets gentlemen

I did visit Bill about a year ago to audition some Maggies and it was he who then proceeded to sell me the Dutch & Dutch 8c's. Sadly I don't think his shop lends itself to setting up the larger Maggies. I will as advised contact him again though as times do change.

Should any readers of my ramblings have a system they would like to show off I would be more than willing to listen and learn.

Ara 

5 minutes ago, astormsau said:

What model were those Magnepans? I agree they sounded excellent.

Unbelievably, the 1.7s which cost less than 4k. Though in true Maggie style they proved they need good amplification and they had 10k worth of Nuprime power amps driving them.

20 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Unbelievably, the 1.7s which cost less than 4k. Though in true Maggie style they proved they need good amplification and they had 10k worth of Nuprime power amps driving them.

And $2k of autoformers and $900 stands 

1 minute ago, Hytram said:

And $2k of autoformers and $900 stands 

Ah I didn't know he was using autoformers. Which ones? Interesting. I saw the stands though.

Edited by Ittaku

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Ah I didn't know he was using autoformers. Which ones? Interesting. I saw the stands though.

There's only one I believe, Con - Paul Spelz autoformers.  They make 4 ohm speakers look like 8, 12 or 16 ohms to the amp (depending on the connection used).

No one took any pics of the stands!  :(

Andy

40 minutes ago, andyr said:

There's only one I believe, Con - Paul Spelz autoformers.  They make 4 ohm speakers look like 8, 12 or 16 ohms to the amp (depending on the connection used).

No one took any pics of the stands!

Zeroformers then.

Edited by Ittaku

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Bill mentioned them while doing his pre-demo talk, didnt say which brand but said they where worth $2k

so, they 'could' be these

http://www.mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?productId=264568

2 minutes ago, Hytram said:

Bill mentioned them while doing his pre-demo talk, didnt say which brand but said they where worth $2k

so, they 'could' be these

http://www.mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?productId=264568

Interesting since this is the USD price direct, in case anyone was considering them. You may be able to get by with the naked (zero) ones for a lot less.

http://www.zeroimpedance.com/zeroimpedance_005.htm

Edited by Ittaku

No one took any pics of the stands!  [emoji20]

Andy

Sorry Andy, I meant to take a picture of the stands.
Talking to Bill, he said the stands are much better finished than the Mye stands, and they did look very good. They hook over the top of the speaker and connect using the existing stand holes. Tilt adjustment done by adjustable spikes on each feet. He’s only having them made for the 1.7’s at present as they are the most popular model, but will cover the other models in time. Will have to get me a pair for my 1.7’s.
Pete.

6 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Interesting since this is the USD price direct, in case anyone was considering them. You may be able to get by with the naked (zero) ones for a lot less.

Con,

From memory Bill uses the Nuprime Evolution One mono's and the naked/anti cables for the autoformers.

I will pop into his store in the next couple of days to touch base and I will take some photos of the stands. I cant see any issues here

as there are a lot of us that resort to custom stands.

Ozzie

7 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I was curious, so I followed your link (thanks)   and it is quite interesting.  A product born out of the problem of driving these very low impedance speakers.   He has quite a lot to say, negatively, about speaker designers and their low impedance devices.:no: