Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Music monster
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, andyr said:

Gary had a compilation of TBM tracks on an SACD, Malcolm - it wasn't my 45s.

The 30.7s deliver "more of the same" - the same georgeous mid range (though no longer sharing a mylar sheet with the bass panel) but more weight.  And he has a superb room!  :thumb:

Andy

Thanks Andy. I’m glad you agreed with me that the 30.7s are a good step up over the previous flagship 20.7s.as you say they deliver more of the same as in more clarity,detail,dynamics soundstage,,realism,transparency,definition, bass extension and weights.as you move up in magnapans range ,every model is an improvement over the other. Anyway to be honest the 30.7s are only just above average sound to me, I am very fussy ,but the best speakers i have ever herd overall .I’m happy enough until magnapan bring out there new flagship.😁Gary the music monster 🎶

Edited by Music monster

On 25/07/2019 at 5:02 PM, Music monster said:

Anyway to be honest the 30.7s are only just above average sound to me, I am very fussy ,but the best speakers i have ever herd overall . 

What?? After ALL the PRAISE you've heaped upon them you write this. What are you on about mate?

i think is about the listener's expectations, experiences and desires. Sounds like to me Gary isnt satisfied with his system and is searching for something better. For me anything equal or above the Harbeth 40.2 is already mind blowing. 

Guest Music monster
36 minutes ago, Blk plastic said:

What?? After ALL the PRAISE you've heaped upon them you write this. What are you on about mate?

The 30.7s,I truly believe are in a league of there own, but as I said I’m very fussy and my standards are high.i call most high end speakers average and the 30.7s above average.i had a pair of harbeth 40.2s and consider them average sounding, I wasn’t happy with them and sold them of. After hearing the 30.7s I started to relize how compromised box speakers are. I just sold my focal utopia headphones,which are probably the best headphones money can buy ,but I wasn’t happy. It’s just me. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, genkifd said:

i think is about the listener's expectations, experiences and desires. Sounds like to me Gary isnt satisfied with his system and is searching for something better. For me anything equal or above the Harbeth 40.2 is already mind blowing. 

I am happy mate in fact very happy, but just to fussy I guess. The harbeth 40.2s didn’t do it for me, the 30.7s are a far better sounding speaker.gary the music monster 🎶

Edited by Music monster

Posted (edited)
On 23/07/2019 at 7:34 PM, Music monster said:

Very good to hear mate. It’s a fantastic idea to have horns and panel speakers, as each excels in different areas and for different types of music. Gary the music monster 🎶

Ribbon for upper Mid / Tweeter made my day.....

I found a astoundingly great solution in sound quality where I remove the upper mid compression driver 🔊 duties and use the Ribbon instead for 1800hz >

God, sounds brilliant compared to the comp driver, so much details, air, no fatigue, dipole really rocks. Also the Ribbon is  capable in keeping up with the rest of the all horn box to deliver a super clean 100db at the listening position about 6 meters away. Aussie made Ambience Grand Reference Speakers deserve much praise - 96 dB efficiency. 

Happy Chappy V

60E3AFF1-A4A1-4005-9A3F-31AF02F058C8.jpeg

5EB8A2A0-1006-43B0-B4BC-805B7460F0ED.jpeg

Edited by La scala

Thanks for having me Drake, what a magical system you have and wow that view you have while listening.

3 hours ago, La scala said:

Ribbon for upper Mid / Tweeter made my day.....

I found a astoundingly great solution in sound quality where I remove the upper mid compression driver 🔊 duties and use the Ribbon instead for 1800hz >

God, sounds brilliant compared to the comp driver, so much details, air, no fatigue, dipole really rocks. Also the Ribbon is  capable in keeping up with the rest of the all horn box to deliver a super clean 100db at the listening position about 6 meters away. Aussie made Ambience Grand Reference Speakers deserve much praise - 96 dB efficiency. 

Happy Chappy V

Now you know why we love our Maggie (true) ribbons, La scala!  😀

The Maggie ribbon is less robust than the Ambience ribbon (as it doesn't need to come down so low) - hence it is able to go up even higher.

Andy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, andyr said:

The Maggie ribbon is less robust than the Ambience ribbon (as it doesn't need to come down so low) - hence it is able to go up even higher.

Andy

I can vouch for the Ambience ribbons, had a piar of 1600 Superslims before changing to MG3.7i/DWM. Enjoyed hem for many years. But, tbh, I prefer the MG3.7i's, mind you I didn't have the Reference Series Ambience

Edited by mjs

Guest Music monster
51 minutes ago, andyr said:

Andy

Hey Andy. I just made an obvious improvement in the sound. I moved the 30.7s further out into the room.they were to close to the horns behind.i only had these 30.7s a short time and I’m still experimenting on placement. I am glad to say I have found the best position yet. The sound is now  much more open, three dimensional with much  better depth.the sound now breaths. It’s the third movement of the speakers I have made and probably the last. Gary the music monster 🎶

We did mention having other speakers in the room, especially close to the other ones might have been a problem... Glad to hear you've managed to improve them further.

I think I would tend to have the 30.7’s out in the room and no other speakers. Sounds great Gary!

30 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Hey Andy. I just made an obvious improvement in the sound. I moved the 30.7s further out into the room.they were to close to the horns behind.i only had these 30.7s a short time and I’m still experimenting on placement. I am glad to say I have found the best position yet. The sound is now  much more open, three dimensional with much  better depth.the sound now breaths. It’s the third movement of the speakers I have made and probably the last. Gary the music monster 🎶

Agree, i found dipoles really open up when approx 1/3rd into the room, well well away from the rear wall. Sounds silly but works.

Ta V

speakers - turbosound tms3, ambience grand reference, klipsch la scala, er audio esl III x4, er audio acorns esl, klipsch la scala horns, dynaudio contour 3, martin logan, magnepan, tannoy system 800 x5.

amps - supratek merlots 6c33c, walcott audio pressence el34 220w, macintosch 2275 tube, consonance cyber 845, treshold t200, belcanto ref 1000, linn 5025.    bass - jl fatom  113, kv2 audio x2, valodyne        cables - moray james cryo speaker wire and interconnects, kimber, furotech, cryo valves.

pre amp - audio research ls17, pass labs, bryston, linn         source- marants cd sa11s2, linn cd, opera cd tube, project vinyl spinner, sonos and spotify.

Guest Music monster

Thanks everyone. I have definitely improved the sound of the 30.7s by moving them  further out away from the horns. I would also like to try moving the horns out of the room one day just to c how it sounds with nothin at all behind them. Cheers gary the music monster 🎶

20 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Thanks everyone. I have definitely improved the sound of the 30.7s by moving them  further out away from the horns. I would also like to try moving the horns out of the room one day just to c how it sounds with nothin at all behind them. Cheers gary the music monster 🎶

You need to do a DBT for that Gary.....  with and without the horns.....

Guest Music monster
13 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

You need to do a DBT for that Gary.....  with and without the horns.....

What’s a DBT mate. Gary the music monster 🎶