Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

41 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

@PoisonM

I for one would be interested to know how you did the repair without removing the cloth.

My apologies. I was assuming you were referring to the whole piece/sock covering the entire speaker. I never did consider the tiny piece covering the tweeter itself "actual cloth" 😄

Let me see if I am correct my other post to avoid misunderstanding. 

Guest Gary janezic

Seems every owner of 20.7s has had problems with the ribbon tweeters is there anyone out there that hasn’t?  Gary the music monster.

4 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Seems every owner of 20.7s has had problems with the ribbon tweeters is there anyone out there that hasn’t?  Gary the music monster.

No problems here.

Haven't even blown a fuse.  Depends how rough one is with them I suppose; either electrically and/or physically.  Or how unlucky.  I expect my ribbons to last as long as the speakers as a whole; then time to buy some new 40.9s.

If a ribbon does fail, then $600 for a full replacement of an exotic driver in $20k speakers is a fair and reasonable cost.

[In the 20.7, the ribbon assembly is directly accessible and removable from the rear without needing to touch the speaker cloth.]

Guest Gary janezic

I think you are spot on mate that’s what bill told me to people don’t take care enough of them it you do you could never have problems. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Point source

Hi Peter,

Just curious..

Where did the ribbons break? 

Did the ribbons break in identical location ?

My last ribbon break on the TIV’s was very close to the support block. Hence I asked the Gosford techie to add a few extra dollops of glue at the support blocks, to ensure the ribbon couldn’t chamfer against the metal block and break. 

As I think that is what happened on mine a couple of years ago.

Realistically, I should have bought a spare ribbon as insurance. But these are the earlier ribbon cages that are slightly shorter.

I must go back and see if Minnesota have any left.

‘And last month, my son turned the unplugged heater in the room on while we were away.

BUT fortunately they were just far enough away to survive!

anyway, hope you get the babies back up and running soon.

7 minutes ago, Point source said:

Hi Peter,

Just curious..

Where did the ribbons break? 

Did the ribbons break in identical location ?

My last ribbon break on the TIV’s was very close to the support block. Hence I asked the Gosford techie to add a few extra dollops of glue at the support blocks, to ensure the ribbon couldn’t chamfer against the metal block and break. 

As I think that is what happened on mine a couple of years ago.

Realistically, I should have bought a spare ribbon as insurance. But these are the earlier ribbon cages that are slightly shorter.

I must go back and see if Minnesota have any left.

‘And last month, my son turned the unplugged heater in the room on while we were away.

BUT fortunately they were just far enough away to survive!

anyway, hope you get the babies back up and running soon.

The ribbons are now packed for shipping.  From memory they broke in the middle third of the length.  One near the top third and the other around the middle. 

I haven't had the system on for a couple of days, but it's happy hour so I fired them up.  Sounds like the last time I listened to them.  Still better than most speakers I've heard.  Maybe they sound like large 1.7s, smooth.  

2 hours ago, aechmea said:

No problems here.

Haven't even blown a fuse.  Depends how rough one is with them I suppose; either electrically and/or physically.  Or how unlucky.  I expect my ribbons to last as long as the speakers as a whole; then time to buy some new 40.9s.

If a ribbon does fail, then $600 for a full replacement of an exotic driver in $20k speakers is a fair and reasonable cost.

[In the 20.7, the ribbon assembly is directly accessible and removable from the rear without needing to touch the speaker cloth.]

You Foo!  You put the moz on them.  Better check them to see if they are working.  :D 

47 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

The ribbons are now packed for shipping.  From memory they broke in the middle third of the length.  One near the top third and the other around the middle. 

I haven't had the system on for a couple of days, but it's happy hour so I fired them up.  Sounds like the last time I listened to them.  Still better than most speakers I've heard.  Maybe they sound like large 1.7s, smooth.  

Haha.

At my age and deaf as a post I have to press my ear up against them to check that they are working.  All the coloured lights are on so that's a good start.

10 hours ago, PoisonM said:

My apologies. I was assuming you were referring to the whole piece/sock covering the entire speaker. I never did consider the tiny piece covering the tweeter itself "actual cloth" 😄

Let me see if I am correct my other post to avoid misunderstanding. 

Yeah, it's just gossamer thin open weave gauze that doesn't seem to be of much use.  Might stop finger touching at best.  Reckon you could easily do without it, if it became damaged.

-------------------------------

If one needs to move them, there is a magnetic strip that fits over the ribbon to provide protection.  Well, mine came with such a strip.

--------------------------------

Not that I am in the market, but are there actually any 30.7s in captivity [other than the one doing the USA road-trip]?  Hard to justify $50k for extended bass, if that is all that is being offered, when a few well positioned subs can do that.  And still no active bi or tri amping [still have an ME and a spare Magtech just in case, one day...].

4 minutes ago, aechmea said:

Not that I am in the market, but are there actually any 30.7s in captivity [other than the one doing the USA road-trip]?  Hard to justify $50k for extended bass, if that is all that is being offered, when a few well positioned subs can do that.  And still no active bi or tri amping [still have an ME and a spare Magtech just in case, one day...].

There aren't any 30.7s in Australia.  If Bill is asking $50k they won't be arriving on our shores.  The RRP for 30.7 in the US is twice the RRP of the 20.7.  Aust RRP for 20.7 is $21k.  This means RRP for 30.7 should be 42k.  I'd buy a Magico and not have any tweeter problems, before I pay 50k for a 30.7.

21 hours ago, ghost4man said:

If I recall you will find a huge number of stables at the bottom and underside of the cloth and you then have to roller the cloth all the way back in order for the ribbons to come out. There's a lot of work involved here. Don't forget what comes off has to go back on. 

I think you are confusing the 20.7 with earlier models.  The tweeters are dead easy to remove.  A case of unclipping two connectors and undoing some screws.  If I can do it, anyone else should be able to do it. It's almost as easy as changing a light bulb.

51 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

There aren't any 30.7s in Australia.  If Bill is asking $50k they won't be arriving on our shores.  The RRP for 30.7 in the US is twice the RRP of the 20.7.  Aust RRP for 20.7 is $21k.  This means RRP for 30.7 should be 42k.  I'd buy a Magico and not have any tweeter problems, before I pay 50k for a 30.7.

I know an owner who had to replace tweeters on Magico's twice. No brand is immune to failures even if perhaps it was misuse. 

Guest Point source

Consider a direct import with all the accompanying duty, shipping costs.

Ask Magnepan to sell directly and yes I know Bill is probably licensed , but for how long.

look for an alternative speaker , personally I have heard one or two that come close to Maggie’s.. NOT the same but close. 

Use AMT tweeters as @DJB has successfully done under the guidance of @gonefishing999.

2 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

.... If Bill is asking $50k ....

$50k was just my guess, but it's likely to be something like that.  Maybe $42k - don't know.  I'm not tempted either way ... unless ....

Thinking out aloud ...

The 30s come as 2 panel units per side, right.  How are they connected?  If its just speaker cable (what else could it be), then what would stop the 2 panels being active bi-amped with a digital XO in place of the umbilical cord between the 2 bits?  Am I missing something?  I wonder what the XO freq is between the 2 pieces?

Edited by aechmea

2 hours ago, Jones99 said:

I know an owner who had to replace tweeters on Magico's twice. No brand is immune to failures even if perhaps it was misuse. 

Ribbon tweeters can break a lot more easily than the ones Magico uses.    

1 hour ago, Point source said:

Consider a direct import with all the accompanying duty, shipping costs.

Ask Magnepan to sell directly and yes I know Bill is probably licensed , but for how long.

look for an alternative speaker , personally I have heard one or two that come close to Maggie’s.. NOT the same but close. 

Use AMT tweeters as @DJB has successfully done under the guidance of @gonefishing999.

The Magico A3 has a RRP $15k.  I haven't heard a speaker which plays better within it's limits than that speaker.  I dare say a larger Magico will beat the MG20.7 and then it comes down to taste.  

I've heard the AMT tweeter.  Didn't like them.  The Maggie tweeter is much better and less compressed.   

2 hours ago, aechmea said:

Thinking out aloud ...

The 30s come as 2 panel units per side, right.  How are they connected?  If its just speaker cable (what else could it be), then what would stop the 2 panels being active bi-amped with a digital XO in place of the umbilical cord between the 2 bits?  Am I missing something?  I wonder what the XO freq is between the 2 pieces?

AIUI, the 1.7, 3.7 & 20.7 have a series XO - so the 30.7 prolly does, too.

Even if there are 'just' spkr cables connecting the mid/ribbon panel with the double bass panel ... with a series XO, everything is interconnected - you can't just cut out the mid & ribbon sections, like you can with a 20.1 parallel XO.

Andy

Guest Gary janezic
On 02/12/2018 at 2:30 PM, GroovyGuru said:

I had a good listen to big dogs  Martin Logan’s clx art powered buy state of the art Conrad Johnston flagship tube mono blocks and preamp and McIntosh sacd player and was absolutely blown away.the sound was live in front of me with amazing depth and naturalness like I have never herd before.thanks raj much appreciated. Gary the music monster.

Thanks Gary, as I say that was a VIP tour! Appreciate the fact that not only do you appreciate music bit also you know what to listen for, and experience what the artists are doing in front of, being reproduced in the most natural way possible. For me music is an Art Form, not just some high end noise... 

As agreed, what you heard today was only around 70-80% of what the CLX's are really capable of. Once the new house is done up and these musical instruments will be placed in a much larger area, the magic and disappearing act will be profound!

I'm glad you got to experience something of this nature, very few have in a proper set up. 

Will be coming over to your place soon for that magical Klipsch sound, Klipsch are truly special and they're certainly no ordinary horns... 

Cheers and all the best in finding your second system of speakers. 

Big woof! RJ 

I believe this is a photo of connections for the 30.7.  Looks like the panels are connected by speaker cables.  I presume the cables are supplied by Magnepan and they haven't gone cheap by expecting the customer to buy cables.  

30.7.jpg.f5e8b472127673e51ffdf8d37561502d.jpg

9 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

I think you are confusing the 20.7 with earlier models.  The tweeters are dead easy to remove.  A case of unclipping two connectors and undoing some screws.  If I can do it, anyone else should be able to do it. It's almost as easy as changing a light bulb.

Peter,

You are correct. I have assumed incorrectly on this which I am glad I was wrong as I know what it is like with the older models.

14 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

I think you are spot on mate that’s what bill told me to people don’t take care enough of them it you do you could never have problems. Gary the music monster 🎶

There has been to my mind unnecessary fear mongering regarding the true ribbon tweeters.

Are they capable of breaking?

Yes they are. But if you look after them and have an appropriate amp in place then the chances of something going wrong is reduced markedly.

Whilst I appreciate RJ's perspective, I am not of the view that the ribbons just break every couple of years. They break for a reason not because

time has elapsed. 

I used to move my IIIAas  around the room which they recommend you do with the protective strips on but without them and never had an issue.

There is no doubt that they are fragile but you will find just how this is the case if you handle them. Just apply some common sense here. If they

were that fragile then handling them would not be an option.

Cheers.

ozzie

Just checked the US RRP for the 20.7 it is $13,850 plus tax.  The Australian RRP of $21,000 (includes tax) is good.  The US RRP for the 30.7 is $29,000.  This means the Aussie RRP for the 30.7 should be around $44,000.

42 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

Just checked the US RRP for the 20.7 it is $13,850 plus tax.  The Australian RRP of $21,000 (includes tax) is good.  The US RRP for the 30.7 is $29,000.  This means the Aussie RRP for the 30.7 should be around $44,000.

Bill has to make some money off it though 😊

I discussed that with Bill last year and I think you are in the ball park. It's also likely he will need to get a model in for demo as it's clearly  unfair that customers would be forced to buy sight unseen or in this case unheard. 

I wouldn't need a demo before buying.  There are no 30.7s on the second hand market.  That speaks volumes, customers are not dumping their 30.7s.

Anyone wanting to upgrade on a MG20 or a Tympani would be looking at the 30.7 unless they wanted a change of direction.

Wait till she hears some of the stuff I ve heard......   😜