Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

There are actually 1s, 3s and 4s too

Guest Music monster

Yes they are all old models now. In the current range there all . 7s Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster

i cart wait to the 40.7s come out, my next upgrade when that happens 😀. Gary the music monster 🎶

That's a question best left for Magnepan to answer.

In the meantime;

As far as I'm aware of the previous models we sold: MG10, 11, 12 I think it was in this order, too long ago to remember, this was in the 80's...

Then the 1.6 which is now 1.7

The MG3 series incorporating the true ribbon tweeter, MGIIIa, 3.1, 3.3, 3.5, 3.6 (all of which I owned one point in time) and so now that latest version of the 3.6 is now the 3.7i ("i" was termed as the design took a slightly modified twist by adding more of the quasi-ribbon along with the true ribbon tweeter). I may not be 100% correct here but something to that affect...

Then the MG20 series was Magnepan's top of the line; starting with the MG20, 20.1, 20.2 (all of which we ordered for our own loyal customers who upgraded from their MG3 series) and so on... And now we have the MG20.7

So as duly noted, Magnepan's latest versions now carry the .7 label, which is fair to label the top of the line as 30.7

I sincerely don't think they would have labelled it as a 20.8, simply because that's part of the "MG20 series"... Starting a new flagship line, such as the MG30 series and labelling in sequence to the .7 to come up with 30.7 makes more sense, plus probably easier to refer. 

However, this is just speculation and my 50cts worth, what do I know...

It certainly would be interesting to see what they label the next model in each series... 

Hope that helps a bit, cheers mate 

RJ

Guest Music monster

Is anyone getting a pair of 30.7s.? If your looking for speakers in the $50 grand plus , I cart c how you can do better than the magnapans 30.7s. They are simply Sota and beat speakers costing many times there price. Might seem expensive but there an all time ultra high end bargain. Gary the music monster 🎶

1 minute ago, Music monster said:

Is anyone getting a pair of 30.7s.? If your looking for speakers in the $50 grand plus , I cart c how you can do better than the magnapans 30.7s. They are simply Sota and beat speakers costing many times there price. Might seem expensive but there an all time ultra high end bargain. Gary the music monster 🎶

Nope because I only get to build one system and in a relatively small room so I will stick to the speakers that have the qualities I prefer the most. However if I had the luxury of multiple systems or even multiple rooms, the 30.7s would definitely be in one of them.

Given I have 3.7i’s and have heard and am familiar with 20.7’s, I definitely lust after 30.7’s! Just a problem of 56 large 🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍

8 hours ago, Music monster said:

Should be plenty of pre,power combos around 10 grand that can drive magnapans especially if you looking at second hand. Gary the music monster 🎶

generally synergy between the amp and the speaker is very important. but from what ive read Maggies this isnt so important rather more power - power, power

3 hours ago, genkifd said:

generally synergy between the amp and the speaker is very important. but from what ive read Maggies this isnt so important rather more power - power, power

More current than anything else. Perhaps an oversimplification but you get my drift. 

Hardest thing is getting an audition of the speakers

More current than anything else. Perhaps an oversimplification but you get my drift. 
Yeah current is more important as stated by Magnepan :)

apparently the Sanders Magtech Amps are designed for planars 

Guest Music monster
38 minutes ago, genkifd said:

Have you asked anyone on stereonet if they can help you out? Gary the music monster 🎶

47 minutes ago, genkifd said:

Hi mate, 

From what I can see plenty of Maggie owners in Vic. 

If you are around Central Coast of New South Wales by all means come over at my place. 

Cheers Ozzie 

10 minutes ago, genkifd said:

apparently the Sanders Magtech Amps are designed for planars 

Yes, Sanders Magtech drive Maggies very well.  :thumb:

Andy