Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, AudioGeek said:

"Friday night in San Francisco" - i must have listened to this album more than 50 times, but not in the last 20 yrs lol.

Big dog - are these 10 albums you bought remasters of things you allready have?

Can I commit sacrilege and suggest a streaming service like Tidal or Qobuz which have a large range of high quality recordings and virtually unlimited music. Use something like Roon radio with all the options and you will discover more and more unbelievable music. Your system wil sound better than ever.

If they find it sacrilege then the problem lies somewhere between the ears and not the ears itself. 

Just now, ghost4man said:

I would like to take you up on that mate. 

PM me and I can get any file you send me back to you in any PCM resolution you like. 

Guest Music monster

I also own Friday night in San Francisco on sacd. Cart wait now to play it on my 30.7s. .gary the music monster 🎶

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Why? 

You're showing bias here. Don't have any expectation and it may surprise you mate. 

I'm always inclined to think that the very best way to hear if there are any differences is to do a blind test. 

We really do go to great lengths to convince ourselves that our purchases yield the best results. 

Only a blind test will tell you so. 

Why what?

This has nothing to do with my expectations. I don’t own the 45 - so how is that justifying my purchase?  I’ve heard Andy’s 45 quite a few times on his system and my own DSD, my own 25/96 flac files and my own 33 vinyl version many many many times over the years on my system.  I know the various versions and I know which I like best. 

Edited by buddyev

Guest Music monster

I have decided to stick with mcintosh and will be upgrading to there flagship products in the near future. There’s something about Mac that I crave and love that other brands cart do for me. I have owned threshold,Bat, stax, pass labs amplifiers in the past but prefer mcintosh to all of these. All there new products now come with a module that can simply be pulled out and upgraded with there new one as technology improves meaning your purchase doesn’t become obsolete. I think this is great and explains why mcintosh is at the top of the heap. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster

I have to say as well sacd is the highest quality format available to me at least. It sounds like vinyl minus vinyl deficiencies. Gary the music monster 🎶

8 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Why what?

This has nothing to do with my expectations. I don’t own the 45 - so how is that justifying my purchase?  I’ve heard Andy’s 45 quite a few times on his system and my own DSD, my own 25/96 flac files and my own 33 vinyl version many many many times over the years on my system.  I know the various versions and I know which I like best. 

Buddyev, 

This is what you said :

it’s ridiculously good and, while I haven’t done a direct comparison with DSD on my system, I suspect the vinyl would be more engaging again.

So I'll ask the question again given your admission, why would you suspect the vinly to be more engaging. 

I don't know how someone can avoid facing their own bias when they admit to not having made the direct comparison.. Perhaps we are misunderstanding one another here. 

You need to hear both side by side. That's the whole point of making an A/B assessment. 

Guest Music monster

Very few lps can equal the sound quality of a good sacd recording. I have been there and done comparisons many times. And when they do you have limited dynamics, surface noise and very low out put. Gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster

Hi definition vinyl if it takes of might interest me. Gary the music monster 🎶

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

Yes, agree with all this.  I have the DSD and flac 24/96 and the DSD is a little better - though not massively. I’ve heard Andy’s vinyl 45 on his system and it’s ridiculously good and, while I haven’t done a direct comparison with DSD on my system, I suspect the vinyl would be more engaging again.

44 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

We really do go to great lengths to convince ourselves that our purchases yield the best results.

You seem to be confoosed, Ozzie?

As you can see from Russ's post (which I copied in above yours):

• he has purchased the DSD
  • but he suspects my 45rpm vinyl would sound "better again" ("better again" = "more engaging"!).

So he certainly hasn't convinced himself that his purchase yields the best result!

Andy

32 minutes ago, Music monster said:

I have decided to stick with mcintosh and will be upgrading to there flagship products in the near future. There’s something about Mac that I crave and love that other brands cart do for me. I have owned threshold,Bat, stax, pass labs amplifiers in the past but prefer mcintosh to all of these. All there new products now come with a module that can simply be pulled out and upgraded with there new one as technology improves meaning your purchase doesn’t become obsolete. I think this is great and explains why mcintosh is at the top of the heap. Gary the music monster 🎶

MSB DACS do the same thing Gary. 

Its high time these companies promote modular designs which can increase the longevity of your purchase. 

15 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Buddyev, 

This is what you said :

it’s ridiculously good and, while I haven’t done a direct comparison with DSD on my system, I suspect the vinyl would be more engaging again.

So I'll ask the question again given your admission, why would you suspect the vinly to be more engaging. 

I don't know how someone can avoid facing their own bias when they admit to not having made the direct comparison.. Perhaps we are misunderstanding one another here. 

You need to hear both side by side. That's the whole point of making an A/B assessment. 

Side by side - yes that is so blindingly obvious it doesn’t need to be stated, surely?

To be clear: I have heard the 45 rpm on another system which I am familiar with several times and was very impressed. 

I haven’t done a direct comparison with that 45 on my system with the versions that I do own and listen to regularly on my system ie the DSD, 24/96 flac and 33 rpm vinyl. Of these 3 the 33 vinyl is more engaging on my system.

I may be absolutely totally wrongheaded but I suspect that the 45 would be even better in a side by side comparison on my system. I wouldn’t bet my house on it but based on my experience of the two systems and the 4 versions it’s a reasonable conjecture. 

1 minute ago, andyr said:

You seem to be confoosed, Ozzie?

As you can see from Russ's post (which I copied in above yours):

• he has purchased the DSD
  • but he suspects my 45rpm vinyl would sound "better again" ("better again" = "more engaging"!).

So he certainly hasn't convinced himself that his purchase yields the best result!

Andy

Andy, 

Pointing the bone at someone doesn't add give you any credibility. 

By his own admission he has NOT done the direct comparison. If you follow that with a "suspect" then you kind of set yourself up to be asked why. 

Side by side comparisons Andy are exactly that. I'm not sure what it is you are confusing here sir. 

The problem here is that you have taken direct snippets to promote your own argument. I actually included the entire phrasing. 

Has Russ heard both side by side?

If not then it becomes obvious that something is at play. 

I "suspect" it might be bias but I could be wrong. 😂

Guest Music monster
Posted (edited)

when I had my Roksan tms 2 with a van dun haul black Beauty mc cartridge I did find 45 rpm to sound better. Gary the music monster 🎶

Edited by Music monster
Mistake

3 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Side by side - yes that is so blindingly obvious it doesn’t need to be stated, surely?

To be clear: I have heard the 45 rpm on another system which I am familiar with several times and was very impressed. 

I haven’t done a direct comparison with that 45 on my system with the versions that I do own and listen to regularly on my system ie the DSD, 24/96 flac and 33 rpm vinyl. Of these 3 the 33 vinyl is more engaging on my system.

I may be absolutely totally wrongheaded but I suspect that the 45 would be even better in a side by side comparison on my system. I wouldn’t bet my house on it but based on my experience of the two systems and the 4 versions it’s a reasonable conjecture. 

Russ, 

We make assumptions all the time. And very reasonable ones at that. But what motivates us in this context? It's reasonable to assume its backed by bias. 

We all do it. Me included.