Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Ittaku said:

There is one advantage to foil on mylar compared to true ribbons, though, and that is they're far less likely to be damaged. Given how easily true ribbon tweeters are, I wonder whether the bass panels would also be fragile.

Good point Con.... But I would suggest/speculate that the ribbon that they are use may not be as fragile as the T/R used on the maggies.

On 13/11/2019 at 7:38 PM, Ittaku said:

And as I discovered from M. Colloms' High performance loudspeaker textbook, neither was there an all-ribbon Apogee. The bass panels were hybrid there too.

Surely the obvious question then is whether there is any advantage to having an all-ribbon speaker?

I used to own Duetta SIgnatures and loved them (more so than the Maggies and Martin-Logans I've owned), but the compromises required to make true or quasi ribbons play low were what lead me to dynamic dipoles.

Well my new Mcleans Maggie stands arrived yesterday, from Adelaide.
Merry Christmas to me!

A two box affair, total weight 30kg, these are not flimsy by any stretch and they are very well finished, quality kit.

The bases weigh 6kg each and each strut weighs over 3.7kgs.

An easy affair to attach to the panels, with a spanner and allen key included with the nuts bolts and screws. The left hand base post does overlap the speaker binding post plate, but removing the bottom left screw made it sit flush, which hasn’t posed a problem.

I took the option to screw the struts to the top of the panels for added security as suggested in the instructions, there are holes provided for this.

When set up and levelled, these things are rock solid. I put sharpie dots on each knurled knob to help with adjusting each stand evenly. So much easier to adjust the angle without having to take the feet off and mess with spacers!

With the stands attached the speakers are a 2 man lift, or use sliders as I did.

Glad to get rid of the old stick-on spikes and garden pavers wrapped in cushion covers on top of the feet which I’d been using lol.

I Immediately noticed the sound was more coherent and focussed. Also the upper frequencies seem to be tighter. Just a cleaner sound. The difference is not subtle. Haven’t had a really critical listen yet... too busy, but IMO the stands get the most out of the quasi ribbon tweeters.

I can only imagine the improvement over having the speakers set up as they come out of the box (especially on carpet).

some pics:

C52A8442-2F5B-4DEC-B882-0EBACF2A47A3.jpeg

55F8B5CB-A9FF-4B42-9F60-66DC11B41083.jpeg

CA5E032E-1C55-4E3C-898B-DAC4FC75853E.jpeg

E2CB3F3E-C704-411D-A785-3DFD359563AF.jpeg

44A1B0C2-4A78-4962-A464-4646BEE6D6CD.jpeg

4437403A-1834-4847-98B3-982F1E68D969.jpeg

3E64B05E-282C-470A-A8CD-898099128CA6.jpeg

E18B187D-9612-4B6A-8B0D-4BAB661F4E13.jpeg

E682853B-2F9B-40FB-B724-2DB8464852F0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Peter-C said:

The difference is not subtle.

Indeed.  The 2 best things that Maggie owners can do; triangular buttress stands and an arc-welder amp, but I see that you have already done the latter.

I (well, my father in law) made DIY sand filled, square tubular, steel stands with spikes thru the carpet to concrete.  One of the best things that I have ever done.  Everything just snapped into place and the speakers disappeared.

I expect that you will love the stands.

50 minutes ago, aechmea said:

Indeed.  The 2 best things that Maggie owners can do; triangular buttress stands and an arc-welder amp, but I see that you have already done the latter.I

Yes, with a nice tube pre (Linear Tube Audio).

53 minutes ago, aechmea said:

I expect that you will love the stands.

Yep, love ’em already.

6 hours ago, Peter-C said:

Well my new Mcleans Maggie stands arrived yesterday, from Adelaide.
Merry Christmas to me!

E2CB3F3E-C704-411D-A785-3DFD359563AF.jpeg

Great stands, Peter!  :thumb:

Now you just need to get rid of the Naim spkr cable with something that has far lower inductance.  :)

Andy

It almost looks like the speakers are titling forward? 

1 hour ago, ghost4man said:

Optical illusion, I believe. To me they are bolt upright (erect, if you will).

I have a vague recollection of placing a bit of timber under the front of the stands on my 1.7s to slightly improve the bass. Speakers have been moved a lot since then.

1 hour ago, ghost4man said:

Yes they are slightly, unadjusted, which is when I took the photo.

I Listen relatively near field at 2.8 metres and used one spacer with the old feet.

So I replicated that with a one metre level as a starting point.

B3B60393-DC14-4F95-8C02-BFEB5139D47C.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I’m about to drastically downsize for an apartment move and the LRS speakers  (having heard most Magnepan models over the years) have piqued my attention.

Are they really a slice of the bigger models? 

http://www.mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?categoryId=2705&productId=264726

https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-0

Edited by Flayed

I haven’t heard these, but it’s previous generation.....  or the .7   Best entry to the Maggie world! 

Jesus,

i cant believe the cost, the 0.7 are now $2800!! 

I owned the 1.7 before. Magnificent speakers.

May I know where can we get Maggies in Australia?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, medjohn said:

I owned the 1.7 before. Magnificent speakers.

May I know where can we get Maggies in Australia?

Thanks

There is only 1 dealer - Bill McLean, in Gosford ... who is also the Oz importer.

However they do come up in SNA Classifieds from time to time - in fact, I think there's a pair of 20.7s for sale in Melbourne.

Andy

On 21/03/2020 at 7:11 AM, Flayed said:

I’m about to drastically downsize for an apartment move and the LRS speakers  (having heard most Magnepan models over the years) have piqued my attention.

Are they really a slice of the bigger models? 

http://www.mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?categoryId=2705&productId=264726

https://www.stereophile.com/content/magnepan-lrs-loudspeaker-0

I've never heard Magnepan speakers but I'm delighted that someone knows how to use and spell 'piqued'!

21 minutes ago, andyr said:

There is only 1 dealer - Bill McLean, in Gosford ... who is also the Oz importer.

However they do come up in SNA Classifieds from time to time - in fact, I think there's a pair of 20.7s for sale in Melbourne.

Andy

Thanks for that.

The price is not bad, considering the tax. Will have a look into it if time allows~

Can anyone please tell me if those autoformer box that bill McLean sellS actually improves the sound of magnapan speakers? There’s a picture of one behind the 1.7 i above. Thanks very much 

This is what I am talking about. I just want other Maggie owners opinion if they have tried it out and does it work.

41AEA101-6C5A-4D32-8AE7-82CEAC64CEDA.png

On 23/06/2020 at 8:40 PM, Gary the Music Monster said:

This is what I am talking about. I just want other Maggie owners opinion if they have tried it out and does it work.

41AEA101-6C5A-4D32-8AE7-82CEAC64CEDA.png

Big transformer in a box which effectively increases the impedance depending upon the terminals used.

Maggies are pretty low impedance (4ohms (at best)) so some amps will have trouble driving that at reasonable volumes levels, since my (most) Maggies are 83dB/W/M (at best).

Bill actually uses them in his home system, saying that they add a sort of roundness and completion to notes that he didn't have before.

I have tried them but they did nothing much for me with my old ears.  Probably depends on the style of music played too.

By increasing the impedance by say 3dB (or whatever you choose) you correspondingly decrease the power and therefore SPL at the chair.  I had to turn the volume up by that amount to get the same SPL at the chair.  This was an issue for me since I already run my system at near full volume due to the max output voltages of my DAC/Pre and and low input sensitivity of the power amp.

They may be useful if one has an "8ohm preferred" amp and/or one with limited power.  Some people will get a benefit.