Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Seems I’m the first customer for Bill’s new Maggie stands, ordered them a couple of weeks ago, based on checking them out at the Hifi show, I was very impressed. They take 4-6 weeks to make. I’ll be able to get rid of the spikes and concrete blocks I currently use lol.
I also noticed Magnepan are trialling “Maggie 30.7s for condos”, they’re travelling around the states getting people’s opinions on the potential for a higher spec smaller model, very interesting.
IMG_0152.jpg

7 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Seems I’m the first customer for Bill’s new Maggie stands, ordered them a couple of weeks ago, based on checking them out at the Hifi show, I was very impressed. They take 4-6 weeks to make. I’ll be able to get rid of the spikes and concrete blocks I currently use lol.
I also noticed Magnepan are trialling “Maggie 30.7s for condos”, they’re travelling around the states getting people’s opinions on the potential for a higher spec smaller model, very interesting.
IMG_0152.jpg

Photos please when up. 

6 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

Sounds like a slightly larger LRS, with 4 panels likely.

I hear that Hegel and LRS are a devastating combination. I feel the upgraditis swelling within my wallet.

Bill actually sourced me some Mye stands for my 3.7i’s about a year ago, very happy with them

Apologies, double post

Photos please when up. 

No probs, I’ll give my honest impressions too.
Bill said the improvements are not subtle. His 1.7is did sound good at the show.

Sounds like a slightly larger LRS, with 4 panels likely.

Hopefully with “true” ribbon tweeters.

54 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

No doubt.  Wendell has worked out that a return to original all-ribbons produced much better music and plays well with high-current amps.

3 hours ago, Peter-C said:

2 hours ago, Uncle Seth said:

No doubt.  Wendell has worked out that a return to original all-ribbons produced much better music and plays well with high-current amps.

Don't forget - the only current models that have true-ribbon tweeters are the:

• 3.7i

But all the other drivers of any current model use 'quasi-ribbon' technology - ie. aluminium foil on the mylar ... instead of aluminium round-wire.  The 1.7s at the show are 3x quasi-ribbon drivers on the one sheet of mylar.

There is no "all-ribbon" Maggie.

Andy

That's a definite Andy! 

In fact the series before as well, MG3a, 3.3, 3.5/r, 3.6/r utilising the true ribbon tweeter. 

The first time I heard the Maggies properly driven were a pair of 3.5/r driven by 400w class A Melos monoblocks, superb depth in soundstage, silky highs and whiplash bass. I've yet to hear a Maggie that can do that... Other than the Relentless driving the 20.7's and 30.7's. Ended up purchasing this 3.5/r system with the Melos, used for many years until changing over to Apogee Divas. 

The high current capacity and grip on the panels is so important, many don't realise the difference until they've actually experienced it! 

Just finishing up the finer touches on our new place, trying to finalise the acoustic treatments in place... 

Few more weeks, should be ready. 

Cheers, enjoy those true ribbons.

RJ

Panel speakers and monopole drivers don't play well together.

But panel speakers and dynamic dipole drivers do.

Something like the Gradient Quad sub from times past.

https://www.stereophile.com/subwoofers/gradient_sw-57_subwoofer/index.html

I've used something similar with my Maggies and Apogees when I had them, and my long-term Linkwitz dipoles. It works very well.

A smaller LRS on top of a long-throw 12" dipole bass driver would give similar scale to the 3.7 in a much smaller package. An LRS width speaker with seperate dipole subs would match the 30.7.

Double post, sorry.

Edited by sfdoddsy

40 minutes ago, sfdoddsy said:

But panel speakers and dynamic dipole drivers do.

Absoloodle!  :thumb:

A smaller LRS on top of a long-throw 12" dipole bass driver would give similar scale to the 3.7 in a much smaller package.

An LRS width speaker with separate dipole subs would match the 30.7.

Not quite, sfd!  The LRS has only 'quasi-ribbon ' drivers (ie. foil-on-mylar) - they lack the true-ribbon tweeter that the 3.7 / 20.7 & 30.7 have.

Andy

2 hours ago, andyr said:

But all the other drivers of any current model use 'quasi-ribbon' technology - ie. aluminium foil on the mylar ... instead of aluminium round-wire.  The 1.7s at the show are 3x quasi-ribbon drivers on the one sheet of mylar.

And as I discovered from M. Colloms' High performance loudspeaker textbook, neither was there an all-ribbon Apogee. The bass panels were hybrid there too.

12 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

And as I discovered from M. Colloms' High performance loudspeaker textbook, neither was there an all-ribbon Apogee. The bass panels were hybrid there too.

Aah, interesting, Con.  :thumb:

What about the new (super expensive!), is it 'Alysavox', speakers?

Andy

1 minute ago, andyr said:

Alas I have no idea, and they're not discussed in the book.

Don't forget - the only current models that have true-ribbon tweeters are the:
  • 3.7i

Andy

Exactly, hence my interest in the possibility of a smaller model with true ribbon tweeters. Not everyone has the room.
Other panel makers make their panels with the same materials, just different sizes e.g. Alsyvox.

21 minutes ago, andyr said:

Andy

Heard the Alsyvox ribbons earlier in Feb & Aug this year. My good mate no longer has the 30.7's, sold them to a sub-dealer based in HK, and now has the Alsyvox with his Relentless monos. The sound is unbelievable, phenomenal bass and whiplash everything! They use the most powerful magnets on earth, ferrite and Neyodimium magnets, very expensive too. They increase the overall efficiency of the panels by a far magnitude and the speed equals full range stats. This is probably the best on panels I've heard to date, other than the mighty top of the line ones that Graz makes. 

This particular Alsyvox panel starts at around 80 grand a pair. By the time it makes its way down unda, it will be over 160 grand a pair. Now I'm not sure if this would equal the same that Graz makes in our home Aussie soil but I think Graz's ones are around 150 grand. It will be a very close call I reckon. 

The materials used on the Avox are top notch, no compromise whatsoever! Point to point silver wiring, pure gold plated connections, the stand alone that comes specially ordered is 10 grand alone! This is very serious stuff and it's a beautiful panel. From the photos online you can't really tell but upfront oh boy, this thing looks like a classic Ferrari, just a beauty!

If I had the means, I would have ordered one without any hesitation but since I've put all extra expenses towards internally upgrading my CJ gear in terms of more Class A operation, and top line caps, resistors plus upgraded transformers on the preamp, all funds are exhausted. It's just about good as it gets, plus the new house build... 

However, each time I do listen to the Avox, they are just extraordinary musical instruments, at their very finest. Next year around the same time I will be visiting this same chap and he's confirmed that he has finalised an order for the top of the line Alsyvox, which is a multi-panel config, a total of 4 or 6 panel system. I still feel his Martin Logan Statements are on top of the podium but these Avox are very very fine indeed! 

Nice to just experience this once or twice in a lifetime. I visit over there each year and each time I learn something new. Super stuff maties.

Sadly, there's no current importer for Alsyvox in Aus, they cost a fortune! 

Cheers, RJ 

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Andy

Andy as I understand it I think they are true ribbon for ALL the drivers. Even the bottom end. 

Alsyvox advertising blurb for what it's worth, but then lots have used the term ribbon where it was not a true ribbon previously.

image.png.40b7a4046d5635076c0e23cb62bb957c.png

19 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Alsyvox advertising blurb for what it's worth, but then lots have used the term ribbon where it was not a true ribbon previously.

image.png.40b7a4046d5635076c0e23cb62bb957c.png

22 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Andy as I understand it I think they are true ribbon for ALL the drivers. Even the bottom end. 

Interesting - thanks, guys.

Would be great to be able to hear a pair.  :)

Andy

https://alsyvox.com/

they are claiming a 20mm travel.  This goes down low, very low so there is substance if this is true,   Look at the specs, they’re also claiming around the 92db @ 4 ohms....

Now if you think that of you went down this low where it travels 20mm isn’t it a surprise that they don’t even use braces...  but hang on, look at the weight, they start from 80kg going all the way to 120+120+120.  That’s 360kg total.

https://alsyvox.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Alsyvox_pieghevole_ok_bassa.pdf

Edited by Addicted to music

There is one advantage to foil on mylar compared to true ribbons, though, and that is they're far less likely to be damaged. Given how easily true ribbon tweeters are, I wonder whether the bass panels would also be fragile.

Or even how you manage to achieve a full ribbon bass that actually manages to move any significant amount of air

Just now, mjs said:

Or even how you manage to achieve a full ribbon bass that actually manages to move any significant amount of air

That's why there's a veritable wall of panels in their reference design. 6 panels...