Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Not much, they don’t brace the panels like Mye stands do.

2 minutes ago, Yngvi said:

What do the maggie aficionado's think of them  ?

Whatever turns you on! 😜

Just now, Peter-C said:

I reserve my opinion on bracing........

5 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

+1 !!  :thumb:  (Or my own stands.)

4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I reserve my opinion on bracing........

Didn't you do any physics at school, Peter?  :lol:

Having heard how my IIIas sounded, before & after braced stands - and those IIIas had custom-made "super T-feet" when I bought them (see pic) - I can assure you that braces do improve the sound.

Andy

oldfeet1.JPG

26 minutes ago, Yngvi said:

What do the maggie aficionado's think of them  ?

I reckon that they have missed the most important feature ie the triangular braced design that supports the height (mine are over 2m tall) by utilising a rod or two from the top back down to the feet behind.  And I most definitely needed spikes to get through the carpet to the concrete beneath, otherwise they just floated on the carpet and moved with the slightest touch.  With bracing and spikes they are absolutely rock solid and is probably the best thing that I have ever done.  Image is just as solid and pinpoint as the speakers themselves.

I tilt mine using a chunk of wood from the garage; no expense spared!  Mine are tilted forward at the top because of the height.  Looks a bit precarious!  Not sure that tilting has made any difference, though.

I can understand why a commercial operation doesn't do the triangular trick, 'cos they can't be sure where the existing screw holes are.  With DIY one can make the bracing rods exact to the existing screws.

A really ancient photo (I think that these may be my older MG3.6R) but you get the idea...

DCP_1660.jpg.3d6d113d7cae4fd1aee152f2b554a50b.jpg

Edited by aechmea

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

+1 !!  :thumb:  (Or my own stands.)

Didn't you do any physics at school, Peter?  :lol:

You need to have mathematics and physics to get into an electronics...

Hence the reason why I never bothered with any bracing for my 1.7.   A  make shift brace told me a lot about bracing.....

unless your panels are moving 20-40mm displacement like a sub......I reserve my thoughts....

32 minutes ago, aechmea said:

I reckon that they have missed the most important feature ie the triangular braced design that supports the height (mine are over 2m tall) by utilising a rod or two from the top back down to the feet behind.  And I most definitely needed spikes to get through the carpet to the concrete beneath, otherwise they just floated on the carpet and moved with the slightest touch.  With bracing and spikes they are absolutely rock solid and is probably the best thing that I have ever done.  Image is just as solid and pinpoint as the speakers themselves.

I tilt mine using a chunk of wood from the garage; no expense spared!  Mine are tilted forward at the top because of the height.  Looks a bit precarious!  Not sure that tilting has made any difference, though.

I can understand why a commercial operation doesn't do the triangular trick, 'cos they can't be sure where the existing screw holes are.  With DIY one can make the bracing rods exact to the existing screws.

A really ancient photo (I think that these may be my older MG3.6R) but you get the idea...

DCP_1660.jpg.3d6d113d7cae4fd1aee152f2b554a50b.jpg

Bit like the Mye stands on my MG3.7i’s

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

unless your panels are moving 20-40mm displacement like a sub......I reserve my thoughts....

Then again, if you think of it that as the mylar displacement on a Maggie is only 1-2mm ... you need to make sure that absolutely none of this is 'wasted' by the panel moving backwards, from a loud bass transient.  A backwards movement of 0.1mm has greatly decreased the effectiveness of the mylar moving forwards, given that forwards movement is only 1-2mm.

So preventing backwards movement of small-displacement Maggies is just as important as with large-displacement subs.

Andy

49 minutes ago, andyr said:

Then again, if you think of it that as the mylar displacement on a Maggie is only 1-2mm ... you need to make sure that absolutely none of this is 'wasted' by the panel moving backwards, from a loud bass transient.  A backwards movement of 0.1mm has greatly decreased the effectiveness of the mylar moving forwards, given that forwards movement is only 1-2mm.

So preventing backwards movement of small-displacement Maggies is just as important as with large-displacement subs.

Andy

+ +1

Double plus indeed. 

My feeling is based on two things. I was fortunate enough to know the original Magnepan repairer here in Australia. 

He wasn't necessarily a fan of replacing the stock MDF but he most definitely was a fan of adding thick metal plates to the MDF to weigh it down and reduce any potential for vibration. 

Secondly Magnepan are renown for doing things on the cheap. Anything that you do to them will be an improvement.

I had my 3.7i’s on stock oval bases  on thick carpet on a bouncy timber floor. Not particularly stable. I don’t know why Magnepan don’t offer something better, oh well. Managed to source some Mye stands, which are braced steel and spiked feet. Much better, imaging superb, you can walk through the sound stage.

3 hours ago, mjs said:

I had my 3.7i’s on stock oval bases  on thick carpet on a bouncy timber floor. Not particularly stable. I don’t know why Magnepan don’t offer something better, oh well. Managed to source some Mye stands, which are braced steel and spiked feet. Much better, imaging superb, you can walk through the sound stage.

What amplifier are you using if I can ask. 

What amplifier are you using if I can ask. 

Have we had this discussion before? ME25/ME850

34 minutes ago, mjs said:

Not sure. 

Very very capable amplifier setup. 

48 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Very very capable amplifier setup. 

I can attest to that, Ozzie (having heard Malcolm's system).  :thumb:

Andy

Andy

I like it [emoji106][emoji106]

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

Andy

I can just imagine that ME 850 looking at those Maggie's and whispering "Come to pappa" 

😊

Now if you really want to make sure you can drive Maggies (or ML ESLs), this is the go:

From the spec sheet (top row is into 8ohm, bottom is max instantaneous peak):

image.png.f6c6477706a97c13ee84389d5eb25593.png

Edited by Ittaku

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Now if you really want to make sure you can drive Maggies (or ML ESLs), this is the go:

WOW!!  :thumb:

Andy

2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Since Anthony's comment re duty cycle Con I look at these figures with skepticism due to the sheer lack of honesty on the part of these manufacturers. I'm not saying this is the case here but it's remains a valid point. 

What signal are they using to get these figures. At what frequencies. Yada Yada. 

The Gryphons carry a huge reputation. You should read the spec sheet for their Mephisto monoblocs! My goodness. 

On 17/09/2019 at 4:41 PM, mjs said:

I had the same combo, but have since bought some Parasound Halo JC1s from an SNA member in anticipation of feeding some medium Duntechs.

Signal still proudly still (well) supplied by the ME pre.

On 21/09/2019 at 3:18 PM, ghost4man said:

Since Anthony's comment re duty cycle Con I look at these figures with skepticism due to the sheer lack of honesty on the part of these manufacturers. I'm not saying this is the case here but it's remains a valid point. 

What signal are they using to get these figures. At what frequencies. Yada Yada. 

The Gryphons carry a huge reputation. You should read the spec sheet for their Mephisto monoblocs! My goodness. 

They do specify it as power band delivery and they are built like a tank so it's easy to believe their ratings, but you'll note that ONLY 8 ohms is specified as 150W of class A. As someone more knowledgeable on electronics than me once pointed out, something solid state that's 150W of class A into 8 ohms is only 75W of class A into 4 ohms, and so on. The Maggies are around 4 ohms so ironically it's actually easier to get a valve amp with 4 ohm taps with more class A amplification on tap than this monster.

Edited by Ittaku

Arvo Maggie lovers

Long time box speaker user here tempted by panels, seeking advice.  

Current set up is an Innuos Zen feeding an Oppo UDP205 feeding Duch & Duch 8c monitors.

What I love about this set up is few parts, many options and great off axis performance.

What I would like more of is bottom end heft, higher SPL (without the smell of burning voice coils) and tonal coherence.

The splinter in my mind that wont go away is the shape of an Innuous Zenith feeding a H2O Audio Fire preamp feeding a pair of H2O Audio M250SE monoblocks (500W into 4 ohms class D) feeding maggie 20.7's. Options include Rhythmic servo subs and Bi/Tri amping probably still with M250SE's however I know nothing about doing this and its relative merits.

Over to you...

Ara

On 05/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ara said:

Arvo Maggie lovers

Long time box speaker user here tempted by panels, seeking advice.  

Current set up is an Innuos Zen feeding an Oppo UDP205 feeding Duch & Duch 8c monitors.

What I love about this set up is few parts, many options and great off axis performance.

What I would like more of is bottom end heft, higher SPL (without the smell of burning voice coils) and tonal coherence.

The splinter in my mind that wont go away is the shape of an Innuous Zenith feeding a H2O Audio Fire preamp feeding a pair of H2O Audio M250SE monoblocks (500W into 4 ohms class D) feeding maggie 20.7's. Options include Rhythmic servo subs and Bi/Tri amping probably still with M250SE's however I know nothing about doing this and its relative merits.

Over to you...

Ara

Go listen to a pair of well set up Maggie's. 

Experienced audiophiles like @andyr who has life long experience with Maggie's will get you on the right path.

Try before you buy.