Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi everybody I purchased a pair of magnapans 1.7i to play it safe.i wanna find out how they sound in my room with my equipment. I had a listen to Peters 20.7 they were good but sounded different to what I expected,completely different sized room and acoustics.should I like the sound of these in my room I will purchase a pair of 30.7s.cheers gary 

Great news Gary, I'm sure you'll find them very interesting... And VERY different to what you're used to with the Klipsch. 

Cheers and enjoy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi everybody I purchased a pair of magnapans 1.7i to play it safe.i wanna find out how they sound in my room with my equipment. I had a listen to Peters 20.7 they were good but sounded different to what I expected,completely different sized room and acoustics.should I like the sound of these in my room I will purchase a pair of 30.7s.cheers gary 

 

Great, Gary.  But I'm curious to know in what way did they sound "different" from what you had imagined?

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gary janezic

Andy to my ears the magnapans sound coloured. I had a pair of .5 Maggie’s and they were very coloured in sound but they are a 30 plus year old model I didn’t thing newer models would be to.i used to own a pair of proacs d100 at my old house and they sounded surberb when we moved to we’re we are now the same speakers sounded very different and I didn’t like them any more and got rid of them.room acoustics are very important they can make or completely break a good sounding system. No two rooms sound exactly the same even if there size is the same.are magnapans really coloured and sound unnatural I would like to know? Cheers and happy listening to all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coloured- mmm

I can only point out the following from having owned Maggie's previously:

1. Compared to what you're used to, Klipsch horns, are more natural in full range, would be well balanced sound. 

2. The Maggie tweeter at times, can operate on a totally different level compared to the rest of the panel. Mainly because it can go as high as 40+hz...

3. That 40hz is not always reachable, rather if it is on the recording then the ribbon tweeter will capture it. 

4. In the past models, Maggie's were sounding somewhat dis-jointed, again ribbon tweeter operating at a different level but all this was well and truly fixed with better materials, different tested crossover points and a series of upgrades that the owner can do in order to make the sound a "custom sound" catering to personal preferences.

5. This is the typical Maggie sound, it really hasn't changed much since inception, hence you will either like it or won't, nothing inbetween. 

 

I must say though from the 1.7 series to the MG3 series, things are quite different. Such that, resolution is far greater, transparency and detail, plus a more expansive soundstage. Then when you move to the MG20 series, things operate at a higher level and finally the top of the line, 30.7's should be one of the most uncolored transducers at this price point.  

 

Over the years, after switching back & forth between Maggie's and Quads, I settled for stats here in Melb. Prior to that I did have Martin Logan's, CLS & SL3. One was a full range the other was a hybrid. Fast forward 22 years, and I revisited Martin Logan's once again, to find their new hybrid series completely different! Their new masterpiece series is a radical design and I owned the Ethos for a couple years, until I wanted to go full range stat. 

 

From the moment I heard the CLX's I knew that was it! Three critical areas the CLX's operate like no other:

1. Transparency 

2. Speed

3. Naturalness along with realism. 

 

Therefore, this is now my benchmark and at this level it is very hard to surpass regardless of price. 

Just wanted to share my 50cts worth as I felt exactly the same when moving onto full range stats. 

 

However, I must emphasize that Maggie's need to be partnered with the right gear, and they also require a good amount of space between and around the panels in order to maintain that relative depth in soundstage. Once that's dialed in correctly they actually can sound very natural. I'm not sure why coloured would be an issue, especially when they have no box or cabinet to resonate signals, unlike typical dynamic driver types. Therefore, I strongly feel something is not quite right here. 

 

Let me ask, when you listened to the bigger Maggie's at the private demo, did you also find them coloured? 

In which case, then I'm affraid the typical Maggie sound is not for you. 

 

Perhaps a full range stat may work but I'm not sure if you're always going to benchmark it against the typical Klipsch horn sound that you're used to... 

 

Just wondering what your thoughts are... RJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi everybody I purchased a pair of magnapans 1.7i to play it safe.i wanna find out how they sound in my room with my equipment. I had a listen to Peters 20.7 they were good but sounded different to what I expected,completely different sized room and acoustics.should I like the sound of these in my room I will purchase a pair of 30.7s.cheers gary 

I have heard them and they were a very different experience to other Maggie systems I would have to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

I have heard them and they were a very different experience to other Maggie systems I would have to say. 

I haven’t heard the 20.7.  

But I did hear the 1.7 and the 3.7.  A/B comparison. The 1.7 is possible the best bang for buck and if  I though there was a massive difference between the 2 then I would be kidding myself, hence the reason I didn’t see the reason to move up in the Maggie  flat panels range.   The .7 is even so much more entertaining that I could listen to them all day.  Reason is XO components are way different.  Depending on the source material played the 0.7 had that transparency that the artist was in the room.  I’ve never been able to simulate that to this day!

I never considering upgrading to the 3.7 and there’s no need to. If I needed to go for something better it be compression drivers or horns and back to what some refer as “monkey boxes” 

Edited by Addicted to music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

2. The Maggie tweeter at times, can operate on a totally different level compared to the rest of the panel. Mainly because it can go as high as 40+hz...

Times have changed, many dynamic tweeters go far beyond 20kHz these days. My beryllium tweeters go to 50kHz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Times have changed, many dynamic tweeters go far beyond 20kHz these days. My beryllium tweeters go to 50kHz.

And they’re  so much easier on the electronic drivers.   So the easier on the electronics the less distortion produced and that’s a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

And they’re  so much easier on the electronic drivers.   So the easier on the electronics the less distortion produced and that’s a fact.

Indeed. The maggies go down to 1ohm in the tweeter range if I recall correctly. That's seriously hard for most amps, and if you love valves the way I do, it pretty much precludes them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

I haven’t heard the 20.7.  

But I did hear the 1.7 and the 3.7.  A/B comparison. The 1.7 is possible the best bang for buck and if  I though there was a massive difference between the 2 then I would be kidding myself, hence the reason I didn’t see the reason to move up in the Maggie  flat panels range.   The .7 is even so much more entertaining that I could listen to them all day.  Reason is XO components are way different.  Depending on the source material played the 0.7 had that transparency that the artist was in the room.  I’ve never been able to simulate that to this day!

I never considering upgrading to the 3.7 and there’s no need to. If I needed to go for something better it be compression drivers or horns and back to what some refer as “monkey boxes” 

I have heard the 20.7s and they excel. Unfortunately this was not one of those moments. 

 

The best Maggie moment for me was in Bills shop with a pair of .7s, La Scala DAC, micro rendu, and Sanders Magtech. 

 

It was liquid with the blackest of velvet background. 

 

Get the amplification right and you are halfway there with Maggie's. Most people don't and never do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gary janezic

Yes rj very much so.i won’t be benchmarking anything against my klipsch speakers but want a different sound that also sounds good to me.your right they may not be right for me that’s why I had to purchase 1.7s to hear in my room to decide. Martin Logans definitely don’t sound coloured at all and are very natural sounding speakers.i bought my McIntosh amplifier after a listen with it thru Logan’s prodigy it sounded very good.i like your clxs art and I’m sure they sound surberb but they need to be plugged in to power wall this would be fine if it was my main system but as a second system I would have to run long power cords so that’s the reason I changed my mind on them.im not in a hurry I will found something I’m also looking into genesis speakers I like the forte no one brings them into Australia but can buy from Thailand or HongKong.no need to listen to them I herd them before and they were excellent. Thanks rj a pleasure taking to you.gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi everybody I purchased a pair of magnapans 1.7i to play it safe.i wanna find out how they sound in my room with my equipment. I had a listen to Peters 20.7 they were good but sounded different to what I expected,completely different sized room and acoustics.should I like the sound of these in my room I will purchase a pair of 30.7s.cheers gary 

I discovered the setting on my subs were set for a low bass recording, resulting in muddy bass on most other recordings.  

 

Perspective is amazing.  I heard the ML Neolith and CLX on the same day in different rooms.  I found the Neolith too bright and the CLX too dull.  System set up is critical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Yes on the CLX's and infact the Neoliths as well, not only room acoustics but partnering gear, amplifiers are VERY critical. 

Jonathan Valin (Stereophile) now uses the CLX's as his stat and panel reference speakers. He was using the Quad ESL 2905 for many years but after the truth in sound of the CLX's, he just had to get them!

 

I've heard the Neoliths as well, very briefly in Spore, they were way too bass heavy for me, I just prefer full range stats, the coherency and overall balance are perfect, although JV claims that the bass was not low enough for his reference point... That's the only point I disagree with JV, everything else he states in his review is spot on! 

 

Anyway, getting back to the OP, I don't think Gary would be happy with Maggie's. After all he's previously had ProAc's and currently uses Klipsch horns. These are not ordinary horns, and Klipsch will sing! I also sincerely believe that both these brands are a notch above Maggie's, just my personal opinion having experienced all three for many years... 

However, since I'm a panel nut, at the end I would obviously prefer Maggie's. Having had experience with them and for them to sound right does take a while.

Personal experiences are very important and only Gary's ears are the final judge not ours. Ours are only a guideline...

RJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Eggcup The Daft
5 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Jonathan Valin (Stereophile)

has been at The Absolute Sound for at least ten years, hasn't he? What have I missed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Yes rj very much so.  i won’t be benchmarking anything against my klipsch speakers but want a different sound that also sounds good to me.  you're right they may not be right for me that’s why I had to purchase 1.7s to hear in my room to decide.

 

What you've done seems eminently reasonable to me, Gary.  Pity that you don't have a good feeling about Maggies.  :(  Given you and I are both in Melbourne, perhaps you might like to come to Richmond (again!) and have a listen to my Maggie setup.  I don't think they sound 'coloured' - and since someone who listened to them, who plays the violin, said that violins did sound like violins ... I think I must be right.  :)

 

PM me if you're interested.  btw, my room is 3.6m x 5.8m (12' x 19') - as against your 15' x 25'.

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

has been at The Absolute Sound for at least ten years, hasn't he? What have I missed?

Sorry mate, my mistake. 

Yes it's TAS not Stereophile, I always get the dam two mixed up. At the time I was posting on SN I had an issue of Stereophile in my lap... 

 

The TAS report by JV was done on 01 Feb 2009, it's an excellent review and one that gives you a full spectrum of what the CLX's are capable of. 

 

The only tiff I have with JV is the bass claims... They can do bass in the most natural way possible. The speed and articulation in the bass is in a class of its own. Even the actual open bass note from a double bass or bad strings do not go any lower than 45hz. And the CLX's are well capable of that range. Hence, if JV wants to use subs to augment the bass so be it. I won't argue this further with JV after all the CLX's are now his reference stats. 

 

Getting back to the OP Gary, I think Maggie's are definitely not it. 

Have a good one all, RJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, andyr said:

 

What you've done seems eminently reasonable to me, Gary.  Pity that you don't have a good feeling about Maggies.  :(  Given you and I are both in Melbourne, perhaps you might like to come to Richmond (again!) and have a listen to my Maggie setup.  I don't think they sound 'coloured' - and since someone who listened to them, who plays the violin, said that violins did sound like violins ... I think I must be right.  :)

 

PM me if you're interested.  btw, my room is 3.6m x 5.8m (12' x 19') - as against your 15' x 25'.

 

Andy

 

I think sometimes Andy not having any expectations or reduced one's isn't such a bad thing. 

 

We both know that if Gary gets the amplification right he's half way there. 

 

Room is a big factor as well. 

 

I'm not sure what the relevance here is to JV. He spoke very very highly of the 30.7s so it must hold true that he still has a soft spot for maggies. 

 

Maggie's aren't for everyone. But then again neither is any other speaker. 

 

I love them. When you get all the elements right very little touch them and when they do you are up for big big dollars. That's the key. 

 

They are very very different to any box speaker I have heard. They have this air about them which is very unique and when coupled by that wall of sound is damn near unbearable. 

 

Just my take. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Eggcup The Daft
1 minute ago, Big Dog RJ said:

The speed and articulation in the bass is in a class of its own. Even the actual open bass note from a double bass or bad strings do not go any lower than 45hz

Bass guitar goes down to around 41Hz.

Some of the baroque recordings I have have instruments that go below 35 Hz. True, harmonics are often enough to tell us what the bass note is, and are essential to imaging for bass instruments as well, but it's still better to have the proper weight of the original instrument if you can.

 

Going lower often tells you about the acoustic of the room or hall where a recording has taken place. Going from 40Hz -6db to 35Hz "flat" in specification (when I switched to floorstanders) made a real difference to my system, and that's even with bass issues in the room and less than optimal placing in a living room.

 

The "how far down do instruments go" really only gives you a starting point for fidelity to a performance. There's more to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gary janezic

Andy thanks for invite. I have 1.7i comeing next week I will give these a listen should I find them to my liking I will pm you for a listen just give me time to run them in.I will let know when I’m ready.they might not be coloured that was my impression on that day.they still had a good sound And I am still interested in them but wanna make sure.i didn’t hear any music that’s very familiar to me I had CD with me but peter doesn’t play cds and he mentioned he had subwoofers set to a low bass recording and with other music it dulls and muddys the sound.we all  know music can sound different from day to day and humidity plays a part in sound quality as well.on another day they might sound surberb but I’m not yet convinced enough.cheeres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

Andy thanks for invite. I have 1.7i comeing next week I will give these a listen should I find them to my liking I will pm you for a listen just give me time to run them in.I will let know when I’m ready.they might not be coloured that was my impression on that day.they still had a good sound And I am still interested in them but wanna make sure.i didn’t hear any music that’s very familiar to me I had CD with me but peter doesn’t play cds and he mentioned he had subwoofers set to a low bass recording and with other music it dulls and muddys the sound.we all  know music can sound different from day to day and humidity plays a part in sound quality as well.on another day they might sound surberb but I’m not yet convinced enough.cheeres.

 

That's fine with me, Gary.  :thumb:

 

I do play CDs - although my CDP is not up to the same level as my vinyl setup.  But one thing that makes it good is that, unlike people who take the analogue output from their CDPs to feed a preamp - and then, if they use a digital XO in their system, do an A2D conversion - I feed the digital output of my CDP directly into my miniDSP ... so save a D2A plus A2D conversion.

 

And my subs are set so that they do not muddy the sound (as I roll off my Maggie bass panels to match the roll on of the subs).

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Gary janezic

Good idea Andy I play only sacds and cds I have a McIntosh mcd550. Cheers mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

 

The only tiff I have with JV is the bass claims... They can do bass in the most natural way possible. The speed and articulation in the bass is in a class of its own. Even the actual open bass note from a double bass or bad strings do not go any lower than 45hz. And the CLX's are well capable of that range. Hence, if JV wants to use subs to augment the bass so be it. I won't argue this further with JV after all the CLX's are now his reference stats. 

 

Getting back to the OP Gary, I think Maggie's are definitely not it. 

Have a good one all, RJ 

I think you might be behind the times with JV's reviews.  His planar speaker reference is the Maggie 30.7 which he claims is the biggest bargain in highend audio.  My 20.7s are no more colored than any other MG 20.7.

 

I did not like the sound of the 20.7 in Bill's shop.  They were too colored in the shop (dry and flat).  I think the prevalent color in Australia is dry sound.  My bias is sweet sound because it plays vocals best and gives more body and bloom (which is often mistaken for noise).  I don't comment on the shortcomings of private systems, unless asked for an opinion.  

Edited by GroovyGuru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, but he still has the CLX's as his main reference for stats. 

 

The last time I listened to a MG20.7 system in NSW was awful. Not because of the planar ribbons, which I think are wonderful speakers for the value, rather there were issues with the ribbons which the owner wasn't even aware of....

1. Twisted tweeter element, means the tweeter needs to be changed asap! The tweeter must remain straight all the way from top to bottom. 

2. Mid-range fuses blown, didn't even know... 

3. Left channel tweeter blown, very very small break in the middle, unnoticeable unless you blew into the tweeter.

4. The tube preamp he was using had old tubes that needed changing. No sparkle, no transients, no realism. 

 

I showed him these flaws and he thanked me for it. I've come across numerous systems like these where the owners themselves were not aware of something had gone wrong because they're so used to their usual sound, they need a different set of golden ears to figure it out. 

 

Points noted in your post, and yes I'm aware that JV uses the 30.7, good for him! 

Cheers mate, and enjoy the music. 

RJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best Maggie system I have listened to in Aus to date, is John Hall's MG3.7i.

John is also the repair guru of Quads and so when those ribbon tweeters are sagging John knows exactly what do to in order for them to sound optimal. 

The other Maggie system was back in 2000, MG20.1 driven with a full range CJ monoblock system, which happened to be our very own! Until the Apogee Divas replaced them. 

Cheers to Maggie's and their tremendous value in real highend quality at its best! 

RJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...