Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Gryphon Pendragon!!!  Oh mighty yeah ✌!!! Respect and hats off to you mate.

The moment I heard these, I knew Arnie Nudell's original design of the IRSV lives on... From those to the Genesis 1's and then the Pen D's, very very nice! 

I would think after acquiring such a majestic system capable of a majestic performance would be all you would ever need, let alone SOTA ultra high-End money can buy at its finest. 

What do you do for a living? Don't tell me you run a Meth lab in the basement of WA... Just kidding. 

There's a chap in WBF, Ron Resnick, who has the Pen D's as well. He's using the top of the line VTL monoblocks seigfreids to drive them, and only uses analog sources. Like me, he's just crazy in tube amplification. I've heard these things with top of the line SS, in a class of its own I must say. 

But then as you said, a different flavor is good once in awhile, and from what my mate tells me, he's finding the 30.7's surpass certain areas effortlessly compared to the ultra stuff he's got, so that definitely says something. 

Would be nice to come over to WA for a listen, never visited WA. 

Cheers mate and enjoy those Pen D's, they're unbelievable. Including the Posiden system that I also enjoyed listening to but just for pun, as I say these are big toys for the big boys! 

Huge woof! Coming through 🐶 

RJ 

Yes the Pens would seem to be an updated/simplified  reboot of the IRSV and Gen1s by Flemming is my guess as well. My first ownership of a Ribbon speaker which has me hooked. Not sure I could ever go back.

I have spoken with Ron in regards to the Pendragons on a few occasions a very nice and informative gentlemen  . The VTLs Siegfrieds would be one of a few valve amplifiers I could live with.  Heard Rockport Arrakis 2  with 4 of them powering  it in Hong Kong was very impressive. 

If you make it across to WA drop me a line and will be happy to let you have a listen and get your thoughts on the current setup....and you  never know maybe a set of 30.7s may be here as well.

Cheers

Jones

9 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Wow those pendragon cost over 200k a pair ,it certainly shows what a bargain Maggie’s are. The 30.7s are absolute SOTA  for a fraction of the price. Cheers gary the music monster 🎶

Look forward to your thoughts on the 30.7s when they arrive. They look super impressive!

6 hours ago, ghost4man said:

Not possible. 

I'm 5 minutes away and have been to the show room many many many times and I think he would be doing them an injustice. 

RJ I thought the D'Agostino monos were double that in price. They will have no problems in bringing out the best in these Maggie's. 

Yes they are, especially in AUD but I was quoting USD and Spore duty free pricing, usually slightly less. Back in the hey day, top end gear was more accessible, and direct imports could be arranged with the help of both parties, plus helpful customs channels. Now it's really hard to get such items across without having to pay for endless charges and on top of customs clearance as well. Leaving you practically with very little margin. Hence, one of the decisions to close our dealership, not viable in the long run. 

Sometimes I actually wonder how top end dealers / importers like McLean's and the others still manage to operate with all these barriers in place... 

I was not aware that Bill didn't have an ideal demo room for his Maggie's. I was assuming that since he was the main importer for Magnepan, an adequate sized room should be priority. 

I remember when we were setting up ours, a Magnepan rep visited us every year and checked out our demo rooms to ensure that we were up to scratch. We also had regular visits from Martin Logan, Quad, Anthem, Theil and so on.

I guess times have changed... 

Although Dan D's amplifiers are excellent no doubt, similar results can certainly be obtained from other more affordable brands, which I've listed before. The point I was trying to get to is that although Magnepan is well known for delivering value for money products, partner their Maggie's with top of the line gear, and the performance level goes well and beyond systems costing five times the price! It also goes to show they're capable of great achievements, it is up-to the owner/user to take full advantage of these remarkable ribbon transducers.

I've also come across quite a few people who have sold off their Maggie's thinking they weren't much of an improvement, and have sought after other speakers. However, only to realize later on that the gear/equipment driving them wasn't quite adequate in top quality in the first place! If only they knew the real value of what they had... 

Cheers mate and have a good one, 

RJ

9 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Yes they are, especially in AUD but I was quoting USD and Spore duty free pricing, usually slightly less. Back in the hey day, top end gear was more accessible, and direct imports could be arranged with the help of both parties, plus helpful customs channels. Now it's really hard to get such items across without having to pay for endless charges and on top of customs clearance as well. Leaving you practically with very little margin. Hence, one of the decisions to close our dealership, not viable in the long run. 

Sometimes I actually wonder how top end dealers / importers like McLean's and the others still manage to operate with all these barriers in place... 

I was not aware that Bill didn't have an ideal demo room for his Maggie's. I was assuming that since he was the main importer for Magnepan, an adequate sized room should be priority. 

I remember when we were setting up ours, a Magnepan rep visited us every year and checked out our demo rooms to ensure that we were up to scratch. We also had regular visits from Martin Logan, Quad, Anthem, Theil and so on.

I guess times have changed... 

Although Dan D's amplifiers are excellent no doubt, similar results can certainly be obtained from other more affordable brands, which I've listed before. The point I was trying to get to is that although Magnepan is well known for delivering value for money products, partner their Maggie's with top of the line gear, and the performance level goes well and beyond systems costing five times the price! It also goes to show they're capable of great achievements, it is up-to the owner/user to take full advantage of these remarkable ribbon transducers.

I've also come across quite a few people who have sold off their Maggie's thinking they weren't much of an improvement, and have sought after other speakers. However, only to realize later on that the gear/equipment driving them wasn't quite adequate in top quality in the first place! If only they knew the real value of what they had... 

Cheers mate and have a good one, 

RJ

RJ,

That is the best think you have said so far.

I know from listening to Bill that one of his biggest bug bears is that he will make a recommendation to an owner regarding amplification.

He will for example recommend the Sanders Magtech.

They will purchase a less expensive amplifier and not get the desired result or what they expected given that they heard the maggies coupled with the Sanders.

They are now in that pattern of buying and selling amplifiers until they get the sound that they wanted which invariably costs them more doing this than if they had bitten

the bullet and purchased the Sanders in the first place. The other alternative is they sell the maggies because it was not a good fit. The problem is not the maggies but them

not following his advice in the first place.

Cheers.

Ozzie.

I still can't understand why there are not more Magnepan dealers.  Audio Trend were dealers a couple of years ago for a few months and then dropped the brand.  

There are plenty of Martin Logan dealers.  Is the Magnepan margin too low for dealers?  From talking to a dealer I got the impression there are impediments to taking on the brand so that a deal could not be struck.  

1 hour ago, GroovyGuru said:

I still can't understand why there are not more Magnepan dealers.  Audio Trend were dealers a couple of years ago for a few months and then dropped the brand.  

There are plenty of Martin Logan dealers.  Is the Magnepan margin too low for dealers?  From talking to a dealer I got the impression there are impediments to taking on the brand so that a deal could not be struck.  

More likely because there are really only a small number of people who buy them in Australia? Most of them happen to be on SNA. Even the audiophile bargains that they are, they are still in the stratospheric price range.

55 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Most of them happen to be on SNA.

Not sure it's "most", Con.  :)  But certainly "quite a few"!

For instance, a few years ago, Bill told me he installed some 20.7s in Port Melbourne - and I'm pretty sure their owner doesn't post here.  And if I know of one instance - there must be others that I'm not aware of.

Andy

Edited by andyr

6 minutes ago, andyr said:

Not sure it's "most", Con.  :)  But certainly "quite a few"!

For instance, a few years ago, Bill told me he installed some 20.7s in Port Melbourne - and I'm pretty sure their owner doesn't post here.  And if I know of one instance - there must be others that I'm not aware of.

Andy

Had a feeling that if I exaggerated, someone would cut me down 😆

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

More likely because there are really only a small number of people who buy them in Australia? Most of them happen to be on SNA. Even the audiophile bargains that they are, they are still in the stratospheric price range.

I don't think retail price is the reason. ML sell for much more than Magneplanars.  I bet the cheapest Maggie is cheaper than the cheapest ML or the cheapest of most other highend speakers.  WTF is going on?  

I'm sitting at home and listening to $20k speakers which consistently kill everything else near it's price for resolution. I heard a mega buck system with 80k speakers and it simply did not play music as well.  Someone must be buying that crap sound.  Are they on StereoNet?

2 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

I'm sitting at home and listening to $20k speakers which consistently kill everything else near it's price for resolution. I heard a mega buck system with 80k speakers and it simply did not play music as well.  Someone must be buying that crap sound.  Are they on StereoNet?

WOW.

Subjective much ?😉

1 minute ago, GroovyGuru said:

I don't think retail price is the reason. ML sell for much more than Magneplanars.  I bet the cheapest Maggie is cheaper than the cheapest ML or the cheapest of most other highend speakers.  WTF is going on?  

Maybe you're talking about me? I'll probably get crucified for this, but I've listened to quite a few Maggies now and whilst their sound is very nice, they don't actually suit my taste. Don't think that their sound is absolutely better on all fronts for everyone.

8 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

I strongly agree with Peter on this and it's fair to say we don't agree on many things but on this point Peter is spot on! 

Consider the price you pay for a Maggie flag ship model, circa 20k, and yet the 20.7s confidently compete against other branded flagships which are significantly more expensive. 

As Bill has said repeatedly you get a lot of speaker for what you pay in Maggie's. 

Guest Music monster

Martin Logan’s speakers are overpriced  compared to Maggie’s or any other speaker brand for that matter. I had the 1.7s and they blew me away, I tricked my old man telling him they were 16k a pair and he believed me fully .he said they were very high quality,when I told him 4 grand he said unbelievable they sound much more expensive than that.gary the music monster 🎶

Guest Music monster

Because of the low profit margin there is no dealers, I spoke to a dealer friend in Melbourne that used to sell them and he told me exactly that.remember bill is the distributor and retail,for him to give Maggie to dealers would mean very little profit for him.gary the music monster 🎶

I have some orchestra playing musician neighbours/friends. Interestingly their circle of musicians all swear by maggies, saying its the only thing that comes close. Although one trumbone player loves my horns.