Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Gary, 

When Bill comes around to your place he will be able to advise you. 

As much as there are certain ratios to go off, ultimately this will be much in the way of trial and error. It does take time. I think the focus will be on bringing them out from the front wall as far as possible to allow them to breathe. Once you find that sweet spot they will be absolutely superb..

You are very lucky with the amplifier that you have which will be more than ready to make these ladies sing. 

Guest Music monster

I’m happy to report first listening session has started tonight ?Bill was down today and we took 6 hours to calibrate them. Bill was absolutely amazing and knew exactly how to get the best out of them. My only concern at the moment is I’m sitting only 2.4 meters from the speakers.it seems to close or I have to ajust to it I’m not really sure. Cheers gary the music monster ?

5AD45549-F948-4CC8-AAF8-218DAB6B8A64.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gary janezic said:

What’s a good listening distance for Magnepan speakers? Owners of Maggie’s please let me know the distance from your listening position to your speakers.would 2.4 meters be too close? Gary the music monster ?

My ears are a touch more than 2.4m away from the panels, Gary.

1 hour ago, furtherpale said:

2 ft between speakers/3ft from centre or 

25 ft between speakers/ 2 ft from centre

Perhaps you should edit your posts before finishing with them, fp?

(What you have written doesn't make any sense.)

Andy

Edited by andyr

2 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

I’m happy to report first listening session has started tonight ?Bill was down today and we took 6 hours to calibrate them. Bill was absolutely amazing and knew exactly how to get the best out of them. My only concern at the moment is I’m sitting only 2.4 meters from the speakers.it seems to close or I have to ajust to it I’m not really sure. Cheers gary the music monster ?

5AD45549-F948-4CC8-AAF8-218DAB6B8A64.jpeg

Very cool, Gary!  :thumb:

Andy

Guest Music monster

Your right Ozzie the sound is very good already. The speakers disappear with holographic imageing? I am expecting them to get better as they run in ,but very happy already.gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Your right Ozzie I just measured the distance and it’s 3.4 not 2.4 meters. Cheers gary the music monster ?

Gary, 

Mate don't worry about other people's hangups because that's exactly what they are. There will always be those who will have some issue with the setup no matter what. I quite enjoy the near field listening myself to be honest. 

If you already have a sense of the holographic imaging then you are in a place that most audiophiles aspire to. They will only get better mate. 

1 minute ago, Gary janezic said:

Your right Ozzie I just measured the distance and it’s 3.4 not 2.4 meters. Cheers gary the music monster ?

Thought so. Absolutely perfect. That's my distance. It looks like you have a lot of breathing space behind them too as well. Magic. 

Guest Music monster

There’s plenty of space behind them and I tried a disc with good bass and the bass was there sounding big,effortless and very deep,these actually go down flat to 20 hz and quite powerful,of corse it will get better with running in.gary the music monster ?

Finally G-man that's great news! 

Very happy for you bud. 

Not only holographic imaging, which nearly every high-end speaker can do quite easily once set up properly but these should also disappear!

If you're not getting the disappearing act, where the soundstage is right in front of you and nothing else, then as you pointed out the listening position is not quite right...

What Bill would have done is tuned in the panels, calibrated to its overall sound presentation and sonic performance. It is upto the user to make the final adjustments for that pure refined image that panels are known for. Leaving the soundstage depth in full 3D is one of its greatest attributes.

Allow the bass panels to nicely settle in, since these are quite large, will take a couple of months, no doubt. 

You will also find the bass to be more agile coming upto speed, more articulate and refined in the lower registers, for now it will be a fairly good bass response.

Also just wondering whether Wendell Diller arrived or was it just Bill? I remember at one point you mentioned that Bill was trying to arrange for WD... or something along those lines. Anyway, not to worry I'm sure Bill was able to do the needful, which would have also been a learning curve!

BTW How did Bill adjust the bass controls and are you able to adjust bass as previously mentioned by JV or is this a fixed aspect? 

From what I know and gathered lately from Spore, it also depends on the model and custom order. I think some owners would prefer to control bass as different types of music is played. Whereas others would prefer not to adjust, as sometimes this can be viewed as a tedious task, having to always adjust for best bass response. I would prefer the fixed option but JV doesn't mention any of this in any of his reviews, nor did he mention about dealer setup and special requirements. I guess Magnepan didn't want to divulge that part of it. It seems like a weird business model but I guess Magnepan have their reasons.

Trust that you finally got your hands on the owner's manual, high quality cables and those little electronic devices made to good use...? 

Let us know the updates, great stuff mate! Cheers and have a good one 

RJ ? 

Guest Music monster

Windell diller said to me they only fit the bass control dial to customers who have a small room otherwise they leave it out.thats why when I ordered the 30.7s bill asked me what size room I have. In large rooms they don’t fit the control which is better no fiddling around.the sound is good already but I expect it to get a lot better. No manual supplied as yet, which is unusual, I will ask bill about it.cheeres mate gary the music monster ?

Hi G

I am curious as to what the cable is between the mid/ribbon panel and the bass panel.

Is it just a normal speaker cable? or is it a speaker cable with special connectors? or is it some proprietary construction?

and ...

What way does it "flow", power amp to mid/ribbon to bass panel or power amp to bass panel to mid/ribbon?

and ...

Does anyone know what the XO frequency is between mid range and bass.

[Trying to work out whether these could be active bi-amped fairly easily.  I already have a DEQX , spare Magtech and spare (quality) speaker cable.  So would be no cost to me if it were possible.]

Thanks

Guest Music monster

No cable is supplied bill lend me a pair for now, I will be buying a one meter pair of chord Sarum t to connect them together. The cables run from the bass panels to the mid and high panels direction.There is a crossover in each panel so they can be biamped I believe, but I won’t be heading down that path. Gary the music monster ?

Hello Gary,

They look fantastic.  Hope they sound as good.  Too big for my room though, there would be no room for them to breathe.  Panels need lots of air as you know and space behind the speakers to really shine.  That's where the WAF comes in, they don't like things looking lonely in the middle of the room, everything against the walls in it's rightful place.

Enjoy, enjoy as I am sure you will. A touch jealous at this end and am choking at the bit to get the new Apogees.  Will post some pictures when they are up and running.

In the meantime I will just have to slum it with the CLX's and JL Audios.

Tony.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, Gary janezic said:

No cable is supplied bill lend me a pair for now, I will be buying a one meter pair of chord Sarum t to connect them together. The cables run from the bass panels to the mid and high panels direction.There is a crossover in each panel so they can be biamped I believe, but I won’t be heading down that path. Gary the music monster ?

Gary, you may want to consider a pair of cables from Mike Lenehan.  I am sure he would lend you a pair to trial if you ask nicely. They made a huge improvement in my system.

Tony

Guest Music monster

Thanks tony but I am using chord signature reference xl cables and  want the same cable to connect the panels together. What’s seriously on my mind now is how much more are they gonna improve with run in? Anyone have an idea.gary the music monster ?

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, Gary janezic said:

What’s seriously on my mind now is how much more are they gonna improve with run in? Anyone have an idea

As these are the only set in Australia I think you are the only one who can answer that question. :)

Keep us posted 

Guest Music monster

I understand what you mean Trevor i just fort owners of Maggie’s would have an idea how long roughly the 30.7s should take. It wouldn’t be much different to the 20.7s I would think.i can say without a doubt they are the best Maggie’s I have ever herd already sounding astounding. They just flat out disappear.the clarity, depth.resoulation,  imageing. Details, dynamics you name it are they in spades and they haven’t even run in yet.i am still experimenting with placement at the moment I have found the best position yet.gary the music monster ?