Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

unless your panels are moving 20-40mm displacement like a sub......I reserve my thoughts....

Then again, if you think of it that as the mylar displacement on a Maggie is only 1-2mm ... you need to make sure that absolutely none of this is 'wasted' by the panel moving backwards, from a loud bass transient.  A backwards movement of 0.1mm has greatly decreased the effectiveness of the mylar moving forwards, given that forwards movement is only 1-2mm.

So preventing backwards movement of small-displacement Maggies is just as important as with large-displacement subs.

Andy

49 minutes ago, andyr said:

Then again, if you think of it that as the mylar displacement on a Maggie is only 1-2mm ... you need to make sure that absolutely none of this is 'wasted' by the panel moving backwards, from a loud bass transient.  A backwards movement of 0.1mm has greatly decreased the effectiveness of the mylar moving forwards, given that forwards movement is only 1-2mm.

So preventing backwards movement of small-displacement Maggies is just as important as with large-displacement subs.

Andy

+ +1

Double plus indeed. 

My feeling is based on two things. I was fortunate enough to know the original Magnepan repairer here in Australia. 

He wasn't necessarily a fan of replacing the stock MDF but he most definitely was a fan of adding thick metal plates to the MDF to weigh it down and reduce any potential for vibration. 

Secondly Magnepan are renown for doing things on the cheap. Anything that you do to them will be an improvement.

I had my 3.7i’s on stock oval bases  on thick carpet on a bouncy timber floor. Not particularly stable. I don’t know why Magnepan don’t offer something better, oh well. Managed to source some Mye stands, which are braced steel and spiked feet. Much better, imaging superb, you can walk through the sound stage.

3 hours ago, mjs said:

I had my 3.7i’s on stock oval bases  on thick carpet on a bouncy timber floor. Not particularly stable. I don’t know why Magnepan don’t offer something better, oh well. Managed to source some Mye stands, which are braced steel and spiked feet. Much better, imaging superb, you can walk through the sound stage.

What amplifier are you using if I can ask. 

The SMGc's wearing new shoes from Ikea...

These were home-made with Ikea Ivar parts and AliExpress brackets. Inspired by someone who did something similar, and on FB's Magnepan group, Benhur Foo.

Daniel 9b17024d77e5966508e0fe0a5e0929a7.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

The SMGc's wearing new shoes from Ikea...

These were home-made with Ikea Ivar parts and AliExpress brackets. Inspired by someone who did something similar, and on FB's Magnepan group, Benhur Foo.

Daniel 9b17024d77e5966508e0fe0a5e0929a7.jpg

Very nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

I am actually looking for a reasonably priced pair of used, larger Maggie's.

Got the bug!

Daniel

P.S. Not sure how the wife will handle several pairs of large speakers around the house. She does know that Stereo = 2.

;D

Thank you!

I am actually looking for a reasonably priced pair of used, larger Maggie's.

Got the bug!

Daniel

P.S. Not sure how the wife will handle several pairs of large speakers around the house. She does know that Stereo = 2.

No unless her name happen to be Maggie too.  ;D

Is that a pair of mirage m1 speakers I see in the background.

Now if you really want to make sure you can drive Maggies (or ML ESLs), this is the go:

From the spec sheet (top row is into 8ohm, bottom is max instantaneous peak):

image.png.f6c6477706a97c13ee84389d5eb25593.png

Edited by Ittaku

2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Now if you really want to make sure you can drive Maggies (or ML ESLs), this is the go:

From the spec sheet (top row is into 8ohm, bottom is max instantaneous peak):

image.png.f6c6477706a97c13ee84389d5eb25593.png

Since Anthony's comment re duty cycle Con I look at these figures with skepticism due to the sheer lack of honesty on the part of these manufacturers. I'm not saying this is the case here but it's remains a valid point. 

What signal are they using to get these figures. At what frequencies. Yada Yada. 

The Gryphons carry a huge reputation. You should read the spec sheet for their Mephisto monoblocs! My goodness. 

On 17/09/2019 at 4:41 PM, mjs said:

Have we had this discussion before? ME25/ME850

I had the same combo, but have since bought some Parasound Halo JC1s from an SNA member in anticipation of feeding some medium Duntechs.

Signal still proudly still (well) supplied by the ME pre.

On 21/09/2019 at 3:18 PM, ghost4man said:

Since Anthony's comment re duty cycle Con I look at these figures with skepticism due to the sheer lack of honesty on the part of these manufacturers. I'm not saying this is the case here but it's remains a valid point. 

What signal are they using to get these figures. At what frequencies. Yada Yada. 

The Gryphons carry a huge reputation. You should read the spec sheet for their Mephisto monoblocs! My goodness. 

They do specify it as power band delivery and they are built like a tank so it's easy to believe their ratings, but you'll note that ONLY 8 ohms is specified as 150W of class A. As someone more knowledgeable on electronics than me once pointed out, something solid state that's 150W of class A into 8 ohms is only 75W of class A into 4 ohms, and so on. The Maggies are around 4 ohms so ironically it's actually easier to get a valve amp with 4 ohm taps with more class A amplification on tap than this monster.

Edited by Ittaku

• 2 weeks later...

Arvo Maggie lovers

Long time box speaker user here tempted by panels, seeking advice.  

Current set up is an Innuos Zen feeding an Oppo UDP205 feeding Duch & Duch 8c monitors.

What I love about this set up is few parts, many options and great off axis performance.

What I would like more of is bottom end heft, higher SPL (without the smell of burning voice coils) and tonal coherence.

The splinter in my mind that wont go away is the shape of an Innuous Zenith feeding a H2O Audio Fire preamp feeding a pair of H2O Audio M250SE monoblocks (500W into 4 ohms class D) feeding maggie 20.7's. Options include Rhythmic servo subs and Bi/Tri amping probably still with M250SE's however I know nothing about doing this and its relative merits.

Over to you...

Ara

On 05/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ara said:

Arvo Maggie lovers

Current set up is an Innuos Zen feeding an Oppo UDP205 feeding Duch & Duch 8c monitors.

What I love about this set up is few parts, many options and great off axis performance.

What I would like more of is bottom end heft, higher SPL (without the smell of burning voice coils) and tonal coherence.

The splinter in my mind that wont go away is the shape of an Innuous Zenith feeding a H2O Audio Fire preamp feeding a pair of H2O Audio M250SE monoblocks (500W into 4 ohms class D) feeding maggie 20.7's. Options include Rhythmic servo subs and Bi/Tri amping probably still with M250SE's however I know nothing about doing this and its relative merits.

Over to you...

Ara

Go listen to a pair of well set up Maggie's. 

Experienced audiophiles like @andyr who has life long experience with Maggie's will get you on the right path.

Try before you buy. 

On 05/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ara said:

Arvo Maggie lovers

Over to you...

Ara

2 hours ago, ghost4man said:

Go listen to a pair of well set up Maggie's. 

Try before you buy. 

As Ozzie says, Ara - you need to go listen to some.  :)  As you are in the Blue Mountains, I suggest the best thing to do is visit Bill McLean (the Oz Maggie importer) in Gosford.  Surely it's only a few hours drive, each way - you can take a packed lunch!  :lol:  Bill might even have his 20.7s up for sale as I know he's just bought the new top model - the 30.7.

I would think a pair of H2O Audio M250SEs should be able to drive any of the passive Maggies quite well (except possibly the new 30.7s - as they have 2 bass panels).

The "X.7" models are alike in having a 1st order series XO ... which means you can only use 1 amplifier channel per side.  So, in terms of your options:

• a pair of Rythmik servo subs is easily added (many 20.7 owners use subs)
  • but, if you want to go 2-way or 3-way active, you need to remove (or bypass) the inbuilt passive XO and replace this with an active XO unit - such as a miniDSP or DEQX.  I've been running my Maggies 3-way active for almost 20 years; for the first 15 years or so, I used a 3-way analogue active XO - but about 3 years ago, when I added a pair of subs, I changed to using a miniDSP unit.
  • the beauty of a digital XO is that you can easily change slopes and roll-off points - and then instantly listen to the result, to decide which option you prefer.  :)

Good luck!  :thumb:

Andy

@Ara

Solid advice from Andy.

At this stage I would focus on just listening to what Bill has to offer in its generic state.

What Andy is talking about is really a long way down the track. Once you listen to them you will either fall 

in love with them straight away or decide its not for you.

For me, the moment I heard them I knew these were the speakers I wanted.

I now have 4 different sets.

You can - which is the detail that Andy goes through - make them sound even better with the modifications that

can be undertaken.

It is a constant source of amazement to me how well they sound given the commercial approach that Magnepan has to its 

construction - read cheap.

Cheers.

Ozzie

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

@Ara

Solid advice from Andy.

At this stage I would focus on just listening to what Bill has to offer in its generic state.

What Andy is talking about is really a long way down the track. Once you listen to them you will either fall 

in love with them straight away or decide its not for you.

For me, the moment I heard them I knew these were the speakers I wanted.

I now have 4 different sets.

You can - which is the detail that Andy goes through - make them sound even better with the modifications that

can be undertaken.

It is a constant source of amazement to me how well they sound given the commercial approach that Magnepan has to its 

construction - read cheap.

Cheers.

Ozzie

@Ara

Best you listen to them first, they are not for everyone.

(and yes I have owned a pair)

• Like 1