Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Music monster said:

Yes it could, but I will cover the horns with a soft blanket and that will stop the reflections. Gary the music monster ?

Sounds good. Make it a real thick blanket if you can and tell us how it goes (I'm sure you will anyway.)

Guest Music monster

I really don’t want to move the horns as I will be using them on a regular basis switching between them and the 30.7s. I will listen the way I just set them up as it’s a new position, than cover the horns in a few weeks with blankets and c if it makes a difference. Thanks everyone for all your help. Cheers gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
6 hours ago, mjs said:

Gary, I appreciate your desire to have both speakers at the ready, but, I wouldn’t have two sets of speakers in the same room tbh.

I actually have 8 pairs of speakers in my room another 4 pairs at the back. The back speakers actually improve the acoustics of the room. The front horns are now a good distance from the 30.7s so it doesn’t seem to be a problem. I have a good size room at 5 meters wide by 8 meters deep. The room would have poor acoustics if it was empty, so the speakers around the room improved the room acoustics. I also have acoustic panels around the room to improve acoustics further. My room is now a surberb sounding room.i don’t c any reason why you cart have other speakers in your music room.Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

7 hours ago, Music monster said:

I actually have 8 pairs of speakers in my room another 4 pairs at the back. The back speakers actually improve the acoustics of the room. The front horns are now a good distance from the 30.7s so it doesn’t seem to be a problem. I have a good size room at 5 meters wide by 8 meters deep. The room would have poor acoustics if it was empty, so the speakers around the room improved the room acoustics. I also have acoustic panels around the room to improve acoustics further. My room is now a surberb sounding room.i don’t c any reason why you cart have other speakers in your music room.Gary the music monster ?

My La Scalas sound best in the room at virtually where your Maggie’s are. 

Should you accept the mission, placing them close to your Maggie’s Bass panels, the low end shall tighten and likely reinforce the bass.

Guest Music monster
28 minutes ago, La scala said:

My La Scalas sound best in the room at virtually where your Maggie’s are. 

Should you accept the mission, placing them close to your Maggie’s Bass panels, the low end shall tighten and likely reinforce the bass.

That’s a  fair distance out. La scalas are very versatile and work good just about anywhere in a room. The horns behind my 30.7s could actually increase and tighten the bass of the 30.7s. Good point you have there. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Just covered the horns up. To early to report if it’s improved the sound but so far I’m thinking its definitely better, A more purer sound. Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

Hey G-man, 

Great to hear that your 30.7's are improving... And in no time you'll be enjoying some very fine tunes!

Having taken delivery of the Maggies only in May, around this time Aug/Sep things will improve further. Now it's just a matter of getting the placement right, afterall multiple panels will have multiple placement options.

All the best and keep discovering, will be there sometime soon for another listen when all is finalised at our new place... On the way!

Cheers, have a good one matey,

RJ

Guest Music monster

Hey bigdog. Great to hear from you,And look forward to giving you another listen to the 30.7s. They have improved dramatically since you were here last. Covered the horns up with fabric,moved the 30.7s further away from the back horns.they don’t seem to interfere with the 30.7s anymore. Don’t know what I can do more to improve them. Cheers and take it easy mate. Gary the music monster ?

Just joined recently and very much into Magnepans so thought I'd introduce myself in this thread.

I've had maggies for the past 12 years, bought my first pair (2.6Rs) in the UK. Did full panel re-build, re-wiring +custom X-over (Jupiter Caps, mundorf/north creek air cores, etc.) in the first few years, tweeter rebuild through Bill 6 years ago, the last few years been working on a full panel rebuild from 1" birch marine ply+Al and custom stands. Recently picked up a pair of 3.7Rs with Mye stands.

Running them off a Nu-vista M3 right now, but considering an upgrade - happy for recommendations.

Room is 7.5x4.6x2.85

Been catching up with Bill every now and again - heard the 20.7s a few times and very keen to hear the 30.7s

30.7 Probably out of my budget for now, but hoping some 20.7s (new or 2nd hand) are in my near future :)

Cheers. 

Guest Music monster

Great system you have there, and excellent sized room. The 20.7s or even 30.7s would work great in that room. Bill just set up my 30.7s two months ago at my house in Melbourne. Cheers gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
56 minutes ago, pine weasel said:

That looks like a fun afternoon!

I've had a pair of Amati Anniversarios since about 2009 and love them. I've yet to hear anything that would tempt me  to change them for, unless we're talking serious dollars ( The Kyron Kronos system and the big active SGRs come to mind ) and even then, there were some things that I thought the Amatis did a bit better.

I've not had a listen to any of the newer Sonus Fabers so cant comment on them in comparison.

IMG_5406.JPG.5e1a3489e7d99e8d2e67b4af6280bee8.JPGIMG_5392.JPG.159ed43fc308b536e7b6454cbbfad819.JPG

Beautiful set up and  I’m sure would sound excellent. Have you ever herd magnapans 30.7s , there absolutely stunning speakers. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
34 minutes ago, Yngvi said:

All roads lead to magnepan.. :hyper:

@Pops110 I like your humour, never lose it :wub:

Yes they certainly do,but I wouldn’t be the slightest bit upset if someone told me the 30.7s dont sound good.infact my dad isn’t keen on them,he prefers my horns. Gary the music monster ?

1 hour ago, Music monster said:

Beautiful set up and  I’m sure would sound excellent. Have you ever herd magnapans 30.7s , there absolutely stunning speakers. Gary the music monster ?

Thanks.

I've heard Maggies a few times at shows,etc ( cant remember exactly which models), but never at someones home or in my own room , so I cant really compare them.

7 minutes ago, pine weasel said:

Thanks.

I've heard Maggies a few times at shows,etc ( cant remember exactly which models), but never at someones home or in my own room , so I cant really compare them.

You won't have heard 30.7s, pw.  They were only released late last year and, to my knowledge, there's only one pair in Oz (at Gary's place).

Andy

• Thanks 1

Guest Music monster
5 minutes ago, pine weasel said:

Thanks.

Fair enough. There both excellent just different sounding. I would like to own Sonus fabers one day. There’s not many brand of speakers I like but Sonus fabers are stunning speakers. Cheers gary the music monster ?

38 minutes ago, andyr said:

You won't have heard 30.7s, pw.  They were only released late last year and, to my knowledge, there's only one pair in Oz (at Gary's place).

Andy

Yes, but some of us do travel......................

Edited by Smp

Guest Music monster
Just now, rantan said:

Isn't it interesting how a Sonus Faber thread ends up being about Maggies instead.?

That’s my fault ?. Gary the music monster ?