Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

On 23/07/2019 at 7:34 PM, Music monster said:

Very good to hear mate. It’s a fantastic idea to have horns and panel speakers, as each excels in different areas and for different types of music. Gary the music monster ?

Ribbon for upper Mid / Tweeter made my day.....

I found a astoundingly great solution in sound quality where I remove the upper mid compression driver ? duties and use the Ribbon instead for 1800hz >

God, sounds brilliant compared to the comp driver, so much details, air, no fatigue, dipole really rocks. Also the Ribbon is  capable in keeping up with the rest of the all horn box to deliver a super clean 100db at the listening position about 6 meters away. Aussie made Ambience Grand Reference Speakers deserve much praise - 96 dB efficiency. 

Happy Chappy V

60E3AFF1-A4A1-4005-9A3F-31AF02F058C8.jpeg

5EB8A2A0-1006-43B0-B4BC-805B7460F0ED.jpeg

Edited by La scala
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, La scala said:

Ribbon for upper Mid / Tweeter made my day.....

I found a astoundingly great solution in sound quality where I remove the upper mid compression driver ? duties and use the Ribbon instead for 1800hz >

God, sounds brilliant compared to the comp driver, so much details, air, no fatigue, dipole really rocks. Also the Ribbon is  capable in keeping up with the rest of the all horn box to deliver a super clean 100db at the listening position about 6 meters away. Aussie made Ambience Grand Reference Speakers deserve much praise - 96 dB efficiency. 

Happy Chappy V

Now you know why we love our Maggie (true) ribbons, La scala!  ?

The Maggie ribbon is less robust than the Ambience ribbon (as it doesn't need to come down so low) - hence it is able to go up even higher.

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyr said:

The Maggie ribbon is less robust than the Ambience ribbon (as it doesn't need to come down so low) - hence it is able to go up even higher.

Andy

I can vouch for the Ambience ribbons, had a piar of 1600 Superslims before changing to MG3.7i/DWM. Enjoyed hem for many years. But, tbh, I prefer the MG3.7i's, mind you I didn't have the Reference Series Ambience

Edited by mjs
  • Like 1

Guest Music monster
51 minutes ago, andyr said:

Andy

Hey Andy. I just made an obvious improvement in the sound. I moved the 30.7s further out into the room.they were to close to the horns behind.i only had these 30.7s a short time and I’m still experimenting on placement. I am glad to say I have found the best position yet. The sound is now  much more open, three dimensional with much  better depth.the sound now breaths. It’s the third movement of the speakers I have made and probably the last. Gary the music monster ?

30 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Hey Andy. I just made an obvious improvement in the sound. I moved the 30.7s further out into the room.they were to close to the horns behind.i only had these 30.7s a short time and I’m still experimenting on placement. I am glad to say I have found the best position yet. The sound is now  much more open, three dimensional with much  better depth.the sound now breaths. It’s the third movement of the speakers I have made and probably the last. Gary the music monster ?

Agree, i found dipoles really open up when approx 1/3rd into the room, well well away from the rear wall. Sounds silly but works.

Ta V

speakers - turbosound tms3, ambience grand reference, klipsch la scala, er audio esl III x4, er audio acorns esl, klipsch la scala horns, dynaudio contour 3, martin logan, magnepan, tannoy system 800 x5.

amps - supratek merlots 6c33c, walcott audio pressence el34 220w, macintosch 2275 tube, consonance cyber 845, treshold t200, belcanto ref 1000, linn 5025.    bass - jl fatom  113, kv2 audio x2, valodyne        cables - moray james cryo speaker wire and interconnects, kimber, furotech, cryo valves.

pre amp - audio research ls17, pass labs, bryston, linn         source- marants cd sa11s2, linn cd, opera cd tube, project vinyl spinner, sonos and spotify.

Guest Music monster

Thanks everyone. I have definitely improved the sound of the 30.7s by moving them  further out away from the horns. I would also like to try moving the horns out of the room one day just to c how it sounds with nothin at all behind them. Cheers gary the music monster ?

20 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Thanks everyone. I have definitely improved the sound of the 30.7s by moving them  further out away from the horns. I would also like to try moving the horns out of the room one day just to c how it sounds with nothin at all behind them. Cheers gary the music monster ?

You need to do a DBT for that Gary.....  with and without the horns.....

Guest Music monster
13 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

You need to do a DBT for that Gary.....  with and without the horns.....

What’s a DBT mate. Gary the music monster ?

16 hours ago, mjs said:

I think I would tend to have the 30.7’s out in the room and no other speakers. Sounds great Gary!

If you have space, just move the horns to the opposite end of the room, somewhat like the listening room at PS Audio: with IRS V at one end and the new AN 3's (iirc) at the other.

Guest Music monster
2 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

If you have space, just move the horns to the opposite end of the room, somewhat like the listening room at PS Audio: with IRS V at one end and the new AN 3's (iirc) at the other.

Would if I could but the other end of the room is full of speakers as well. I would have to take the stacked horns completely out of the room, a big job. I will c how it go’s now in the new position. Cheers gary the music monster ?

22 hours ago, Music monster said:

How very interesting, Gary.  I must admit that I thought you should be getting much more soundstage depth (than I was hearing) - given you already had the panels about 2m out from the front wall.

It seemed to me that there were only 2 things which could be causing this lack of depth:

1. the Mac amp, or
  2. the Klipschs in the front corners.

I thought it unlikely that a Mac would not be capable of good soundstage depth - so I thought it must be due to you having the Klipsch cabinets behind the panels.

If you remove them ... you may well be able to move the Maggie panels back to where you had them, when I was over, and still get the lovely soundstage depth.

21 hours ago, Music monster said:

I would also like to try moving the horns out of the room one day just to c how it sounds with nothin at all behind them.

I think that would be a very worthwhile thing to do, Gary.  (I had suggested this earlier on in your thread.)

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr

Guest Music monster
1 hour ago, andyr said:

How very interesting, Gary.  I must admit that I thought you should be getting much more soundstage depth (than I was hearing) - given you already had the panels about 2m out from the front wall.

It seemed to me that there were only 2 things which could be causing this lack of depth:

1. the Mac amp, or
  2. the Klipschs in the front corners.

I thought it unlikely that a Mac would not be capable of good soundstage depth - so I thought it must be due to you having the Klipsch cabinets behind the panels.

If you remove them ... you may well be able to move the Maggie panels back to where you had them, when I was over, and still get the lovely soundstage depth.

I think that would be a very worthwhile thing to do, Gary.  (I had suggested this earlier on in your thread.)

Regards,

Andy

Yes I had them to close to the klipschs,I only moved the 30.7s 8 inches further away and the sound is now much more open and three dimensional with very good depth. I don’t think the klipsch interfere now with the sound of the Maggie’s.the magnapans are now 1.3 meters away from the klipsch plus there’s more space behind the klipsch.the sound is much fuller and breaths. Your welcome back for a listen when your ready. Cheers gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
21 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Gary, presumably the issue is reflections off the hard surfaces of your horn speakers. Is there some way of covering them up?

Good idea. I could at least try covering them up with a blanket and c if it improves the sound. Gary the music monster ?

12 hours ago, Music monster said:

Good idea. I could at least try covering them up with a blanket and c if it improves the sound. Gary the music monster ?

Gary,

For those size speakers mate, 1.3 metres in the big scheme of things is really nothing. If it was me I would move the horns out and leave the maggies in the same place. I think you will be surprised by the outcome. Give them as much room to breathe as you can.

• Like 1

Guest Music monster
1 hour ago, ghost4man said:

Gary,

For those size speakers mate, 1.3 metres in the big scheme of things is really nothing. If it was me I would move the horns out and leave the maggies in the same place. I think you will be surprised by the outcome. Give them as much room to breathe as you can.

Sounds like a good idea. Is there a minimum distance for space behind the magnapan speakers? Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

There’s still plenty of space behind the horns on both sides for the 30.7s to breath. It’s exactly 1.3 meters from the horns to the 30.7s and another metre behind the horns.so the 30,7s are about 3 meters from the actual back wall. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Here’s a picture behind the 30.7s,there’s room on both sides for the 30.7s to breath. I really don’t believe there would be a difference moving the horns out. The 30.7s  now sound incredibly open with excellent depth. Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

5 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Here’s a picture behind the 30.7s,there’s room on both sides for the 30.7s to breath. I really don’t believe there would be a difference moving the horns out. The 30.7s  now sound incredibly open with excellent depth. Gary the music monster ?

2D856C08-B102-49D7-9236-327BC9F3F838.jpeg

There is space, but the out of phase backwave from the dipoles is going directly into the speakers behind them. The horns could be reflecting the dipole wave and focusing it, and the drivers could be getting excited by the back wave as well.

Guest Music monster
12 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

There is space, but the out of phase backwave from the dipoles is going directly into the speakers behind them. The horns could be reflecting the dipole wave and focusing it, and the drivers could be getting excited by the back wave as well.

Yes it could, but I will cover the horns with a soft blanket and that will stop the reflections. Gary the music monster ?