Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

That's what I initially thought... 

It's already caused confusion and clearly Magnepan is going to lose credibility big time!

As my trusted long time Maggie dealer mate said, the MG20.7 was the best design they came up with by far. Single panel, much easier to control and allows a good high current amp to grip well. They should have simply further improved on the 20.7's by:

1. Improving the frames rigidness, including those "T" shaped feet... 

2. Utilising higher quality grade parts in the cross-overs

3. Top quality input connectors and fuses on the back panel

4. Incorporating more powerful magnets, such ferrite or Neyodimium, which would have increased the overall efficiency of the speakers 

And the list goes on... 

Then introduce a new version of the 20 series, that would have been a very different project and an overall improvement by all means. 

Re-introducing an out-dated Tympani design? What on earth for? Just to recreate a massive bass panel so that it could out-perform other larger panels... Introduces other issues by having far too much LF. 

Still I'm not sure if this is confirmed or not. Nothing mentioned on either website, McLean nor Magnepan... No idea what's going on. 

Anyway, whatever it is, they would have to explain the whole justification of introducing another version of which just came out. 

RJ 

Edited by Big Dog RJ
Damn smart phones, spelling errors!

Guest Music monster
50 minutes ago, Big Dog RJ said:

It's already caused confusion and clearly Magnepan is going to lose credibility big time!

As my trusted long time Maggie dealer mate said, the MG20.7 was the best design they came up with by far. Single panel, much easier to control and allows a good high current amp to grip well. They should have simply further improved on the 20.7's by:

4. Incorporating more powerful magnets, such ferrite or Neyodimium, which would have increased the overall efficiency of the speakers 

And the list goes on... 

Then introduce a new version of the 20 series, that would have been a very different project and an overall improvement by all means. 

Re-introducing an out-dated Tympani design? What on earth for? Just to recreate a massive bass panel so that it could out-perform other larger panels... Introduces other issues by having far too much LF. 

Still I'm not sure if this is confirmed or not. Nothing mentioned on either website, McLean nor Magnepan... No idea what's going on. 

Anyway, whatever it is, they would have to explain the whole justification of introducing another version of which just came out. 

RJ 

Totally disagree bigdog.the 30.7s are the best speakers magnapan has  made by far.and there not bass heavy at all. They are 4 way with a new midrange driver and a lower midrange driver.the only way Maggie’s could improve the sound quality was to go larger with bigger and better drivers.a lot of audiophiles around the world had begged magnapan including jv from the tas to reintroduce the tympani in a update version because they believed the 20 series actually went backwards compared to the tympani models.you should think more carefully before posting comments like that.Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

Guest Music monster

It does look like a misprint as drake points out it go’s on to talk about the 3.7i. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Of corse I saw it on the web and fort straight away they are the new 30.7i but I just checked on it again and they talk about the 3.7i, so looks like a misprint, thank god for that?. Gary the music monster ?

12 minutes ago, DMax said:
1 hour ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:
Where are you seeing that?
I can’t find anything online about a 30.7i model

It wasn't me it was Gary that saw it

15 minutes ago, Music monster said:

It does look like a misprint as drake points out it go’s on to talk about the 3.7i. Gary the music monster ?

Stop freaking me out, man.

Maybe you could have read further before posting...but all good now.

The "i" stands for improved model and although it's not impossible, it was highly unlikely that an improvement had been developed (and especially released) so early in the 30.7s "Career".

Guest Music monster

I freaked myself out, and yes I should have read further but was shocked on what I was seeing. Cart believe mistakes like this can happen. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

It certainly will but not for a few years. Gary the music monster ?

12 minutes ago, Yngvi said:

The "i" model will follow in time.

Guest Music monster

Seems there’s more misleading adds on the web. Gary the music monster ?

4 minutes ago, buddyev said:

This Special Edition one seems to be getting all the amazing reviews.  

mag.thumb.png.2dd2b56d49255585d9c19b015b5a0b61.png

Guest Music monster
6 minutes ago, DMax said:
8 minutes ago, Music monster said:
Seems there’s more misleading adds on the web. Gary the music monster emoji445.png

Or maybe he's just having you on?! Lol

Yes I think your right dmax?. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
Just now, buddyev said:

It’s a slow day ?

No worries mate it’s good to joke around. Gary the music monster ?

52 minutes ago, Music monster said:

Totally disagree bigdog.the 30.7s are the best speakers magnapan has  made by far.and there not bass heavy at all. They are 4 way with a new midrange driver and a lower midrange driver.the only way Maggie’s could improve the sound quality was to go larger with bigger and better drivers.a lot of audiophiles around the world had begged magnapan including jv from the tas to reintroduce the tympani in a update version because they believed the 20 series actually went backwards compared to the tympani models.you should think more carefully before posting comments like that.Gary the music monster ?

Whether it's a 4 way, 3 way or 2 way, doesn't really matter. As long as the power amp is able to "grip" the speaker. From what I heard in Feb vs now is totally different. Anyway, proper amplification is another issue including placement and setup options, which have yet to be determined and fine tuned. Far too many placement arrays / configs and no bass controls either. For a panel of that size, it's not going to suit many rooms, bass controls would have been a well thought out design, exactly like the ones I auditioned in Feb, far more coherent and well balanced. The Relentless mono's can grip anything, hence maybe an unfair comparison.

The improvement aspects I pointed out are pretty clear, and I stand by that. Nearly every Maggie owner who is seriously looking at further improvements, has done one of those improvement aspects I have mentioned, if more... in fact all of those, including by-passing the cross-overs to much higher grade using DuLand and Mundorf caps. These are very high grade that are used in many other ribbon transducers, and can improve dynamics and transient speed to great lengths. Some of the Apogee refurbs I've auditioned in the past, specially done by Graz are nothing short of breath taking! Absolutely marvellous job of reviving them to such an awesome level. Obviously takes time and a lot of effort, which Graz puts into unlike anyone else. 

However, that is only an improvement point for some and for others the Maggies are just good enough just the way they are.

I really don't need to be warned on being more careful on what I say, this is not a "courtroom" rather a forum. Especially, when you are the one who pointed out the sudden shock in the "i" later on to discover that was not the case, also goes to show the level of "insecurity".

I have stated only good things about the 30.7's, not one or any of your posts have been positive on the CLX's, only comparison points and always some lack of bass...

Again, I'm very pleased with the Maggies and what they deliver but I still believe they could have addressed those improvements, at least in the 20.7's and then thought of launching something else "big" that is manageable by most high current amplifiers.

I would think they may do this in the "i" series of the 30.7's who knows... 

And as I always say, enjoy what you have.

BTW Are really enjoying it or is it just not good enough?

C'mon G-man, as if I missed that point ?

Cheers bud, RJ

Guest Music monster
9 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Mmm...  

You have to remember that there will always be an ultimate to beat the "ultimate"! Hence, in all my experience there simply is no ultimate, it's only a "mind set... "

If this is the case then Magnepan have clearly lost the plot! Or I'm suspecting that someone has been put to task in order to get those flaws corrected in the previous version, and quickly address these aspects by creating a slightly modified version, so call it the "i".

Magnepan also did this very same thing with the MG3.7 first, only later on to introduce the 3.7i

However, that "i" series took a little while, a few years the most, to be introduced, and so it was well received. 

Now this is completely a shot in the foot! Having the 30.7 just launched, fresh out of the oven... And received all sorts of mixed reviews, of which many demos across the US weren't positive, and now they Re-introduced the very same model with an "i" series, oh boy, here we go again... 

This is also not going to go well with current customers, people who have already placed orders for the previous version and still waiting for delivery! 

Definitely not a good sign, in fact quite a foolish move. Anyway, they have their own reasons, all the best to them.

G-man, I wouldn't bother about it too much, afterall the 30.7's are the top of the line in the Maggie line up. Who knows what they've done with this one, I'm wondering whether it's a typo... 

Take it easy mate, just enjoy what you have. 

Cheers, RJ 

All reviews from the tas and hifi plus and others have being nothin less than surberb, stating the 30.7s are by far the best magnapan speaker ever made, and also the most versatile as you can adjust the bass panel and mid and hi panel to suit the room acoustics. Were bass sounds right in the room often doesn’t sound best for the mid and highs. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster
20 minutes ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Whether it's a 4 way, 3 way or 2 way, doesn't really matter. As long as the power amp is able to "grip" the speaker. From what I heard in Feb vs now is totally different. Anyway, proper amplification is another issue including placement and setup options, which have yet to be determined and fine tuned. Far too many placement arrays / configs and no bass controls either. For a panel of that size, it's not going to suit many rooms, bass controls would have been a well thought out design, exactly like the ones I auditioned in Feb, far more coherent and well balanced. The Relentless mono's can grip anything, hence maybe an unfair comparison.

The improvement aspects I pointed out are pretty clear, and I stand by that. Nearly every Maggie owner who is seriously looking at further improvements, has done one of those improvement aspects I have mentioned, if more... in fact all of those, including by-passing the cross-overs to much higher grade using DuLand and Mundorf caps. These are very high grade that are used in many other ribbon transducers, and can improve dynamics and transient speed to great lengths. Some of the Apogee refurbs I've auditioned in the past, specially done by Graz are nothing short of breath taking! Absolutely marvellous job of reviving them to such an awesome level. Obviously takes time and a lot of effort, which Graz puts into unlike anyone else. 

However, that is only an improvement point for some and for others the Maggies are just good enough just the way they are.

I really don't need to be warned on being more careful on what I say, this is not a "courtroom" rather a forum. Especially, when you are the one who pointed out the sudden shock in the "i" later on to discover that was not the case, also goes to show the level of "insecurity".

I have stated only good things about the 30.7's, not one or any of your posts have been positive on the CLX's, only comparison points and always some lack of bass...

Again, I'm very pleased with the Maggies and what they deliver but I still believe they could have addressed those improvements, at least in the 20.7's and then thought of launching something else "big" that is manageable by most high current amplifiers.

I would think they may do this in the "i" series of the 30.7's who knows... 

And as I always say, enjoy what you have.

BTW Are really enjoying it or is it just not good enough?

C'mon G-man, as if I missed that point ?

Cheers bud, RJ

The only thing  I can say after hearing your clx is the 30.7s are a much better speaker without a doubt at least to me. Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

Guest Music monster

Btw they fit bass controls only if the 30.7s will be used in a small room. In my room it isn’t necessary, so they leave it out. Gary the music monster ?

3 hours ago, Big Dog RJ said:

And the list goes on... 

RJ 

Totally disagree Big Dog for a number of reasons which I will go into here.

For many many many years, audiophiles were begging Magnepan to reintroduce the tympani range. If you go over to the planar forum you can read for yourself.

The planar asylum is THE maggie forum by the way and has a number of people who have links with Wendell.

Magnepan listened. 

Why?

Think about the following Big Dog - why did magnepan introduce the DWM woofer panels????

Because it was an acknowledgement on their part that the single panels were missing something in the bottom end. This includes the 20.7s.

Put simply two panels of lower end surface area will outdo one panel.

My bass panels by the way were completely rewired BUT with quasi ribbon and NOT the original wire.

Difference in sound - chalk and cheese. Let me clarify this remark by stating that the repairer presented two pairs of 1Ds with the QR and with the original wire so I

had a reference point.

Night and day difference.

I DONT believe in passive XO's. I am all for active so I think that the current 30.7s can be improved even more.

But the fact remains that a pair of 20.7s coupled with a pair of DWM's are a poor mans tympani range.

Guest Music monster
39 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Totally disagree Big Dog for a number of reasons which I will go into here.

For many many many years, audiophiles were begging Magnepan to reintroduce the tympani range. If you go over to the planar forum you can read for yourself.

The planar asylum is THE maggie forum by the way and has a number of people who have links with Wendell.

Magnepan listened. 

Why?

Think about the following Big Dog - why did magnepan introduce the DWM woofer panels????

Because it was an acknowledgement on their part that the single panels were missing something in the bottom end. This includes the 20.7s.

Put simply two panels of lower end surface area will outdo one panel.

My bass panels by the way were completely rewired BUT with quasi ribbon and NOT the original wire.

Difference in sound - chalk and cheese. Let me clarify this remark by stating that the repairer presented two pairs of 1Ds with the QR and with the original wire so I

had a reference point.

Night and day difference.

I DONT believe in passive XO's. I am all for active so I think that the current 30.7s can be improved even more.

But the fact remains that a pair of 20.7s coupled with a pair of DWM's are a poor mans tympani range.

Agree Ozzie. Bigdogs statement that 20.7s are the best magnapans ever is nonsense. And that the 30.7s have to much bass by far is nonsense as well. I can tell you Ozzie that the 30.7s sound incredible In my room easily the best speakers I have ever herd. Your welcome down for a listen.i also agree that your tympani upgraded would surpass the 20.7s and even probably compare to the 30.7s.The 30,7s improved further I guess so , but wouldn’t be easy they sound remarkable to me.Cheers gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster