Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Music monster

I have decided to stick with mcintosh and will be upgrading to there flagship products in the near future. There’s something about Mac that I crave and love that other brands cart do for me. I have owned threshold,Bat, stax, pass labs amplifiers in the past but prefer mcintosh to all of these. All there new products now come with a module that can simply be pulled out and upgraded with there new one as technology improves meaning your purchase doesn’t become obsolete. I think this is great and explains why mcintosh is at the top of the heap. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

I have to say as well sacd is the highest quality format available to me at least. It sounds like vinyl minus vinyl deficiencies. Gary the music monster ?

8 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Why what?

This has nothing to do with my expectations. I don’t own the 45 - so how is that justifying my purchase?  I’ve heard Andy’s 45 quite a few times on his system and my own DSD, my own 25/96 flac files and my own 33 vinyl version many many many times over the years on my system.  I know the various versions and I know which I like best. 

Buddyev, 

This is what you said :

it’s ridiculously good and, while I haven’t done a direct comparison with DSD on my system, I suspect the vinyl would be more engaging again.

So I'll ask the question again given your admission, why would you suspect the vinly to be more engaging. 

I don't know how someone can avoid facing their own bias when they admit to not having made the direct comparison.. Perhaps we are misunderstanding one another here. 

You need to hear both side by side. That's the whole point of making an A/B assessment. 

Guest Music monster

Very few lps can equal the sound quality of a good sacd recording. I have been there and done comparisons many times. And when they do you have limited dynamics, surface noise and very low out put. Gary the music monster ?

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

Yes, agree with all this.  I have the DSD and flac 24/96 and the DSD is a little better - though not massively. I’ve heard Andy’s vinyl 45 on his system and it’s ridiculously good and, while I haven’t done a direct comparison with DSD on my system, I suspect the vinyl would be more engaging again.

44 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

We really do go to great lengths to convince ourselves that our purchases yield the best results.

You seem to be confoosed, Ozzie?

As you can see from Russ's post (which I copied in above yours):

• he has purchased the DSD
  • but he suspects my 45rpm vinyl would sound "better again" ("better again" = "more engaging"!).

So he certainly hasn't convinced himself that his purchase yields the best result!

Andy

32 minutes ago, Music monster said:

I have decided to stick with mcintosh and will be upgrading to there flagship products in the near future. There’s something about Mac that I crave and love that other brands cart do for me. I have owned threshold,Bat, stax, pass labs amplifiers in the past but prefer mcintosh to all of these. All there new products now come with a module that can simply be pulled out and upgraded with there new one as technology improves meaning your purchase doesn’t become obsolete. I think this is great and explains why mcintosh is at the top of the heap. Gary the music monster ?

MSB DACS do the same thing Gary. 

Its high time these companies promote modular designs which can increase the longevity of your purchase. 

15 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Buddyev, 

This is what you said :

it’s ridiculously good and, while I haven’t done a direct comparison with DSD on my system, I suspect the vinyl would be more engaging again.

So I'll ask the question again given your admission, why would you suspect the vinly to be more engaging. 

I don't know how someone can avoid facing their own bias when they admit to not having made the direct comparison.. Perhaps we are misunderstanding one another here. 

You need to hear both side by side. That's the whole point of making an A/B assessment. 

Side by side - yes that is so blindingly obvious it doesn’t need to be stated, surely?

To be clear: I have heard the 45 rpm on another system which I am familiar with several times and was very impressed. 

I haven’t done a direct comparison with that 45 on my system with the versions that I do own and listen to regularly on my system ie the DSD, 24/96 flac and 33 rpm vinyl. Of these 3 the 33 vinyl is more engaging on my system.

I may be absolutely totally wrongheaded but I suspect that the 45 would be even better in a side by side comparison on my system. I wouldn’t bet my house on it but based on my experience of the two systems and the 4 versions it’s a reasonable conjecture. 

1 minute ago, andyr said:

You seem to be confoosed, Ozzie?

As you can see from Russ's post (which I copied in above yours):

• he has purchased the DSD
  • but he suspects my 45rpm vinyl would sound "better again" ("better again" = "more engaging"!).

So he certainly hasn't convinced himself that his purchase yields the best result!

Andy

Andy, 

Pointing the bone at someone doesn't add give you any credibility. 

By his own admission he has NOT done the direct comparison. If you follow that with a "suspect" then you kind of set yourself up to be asked why. 

Side by side comparisons Andy are exactly that. I'm not sure what it is you are confusing here sir. 

The problem here is that you have taken direct snippets to promote your own argument. I actually included the entire phrasing. 

Has Russ heard both side by side?

If not then it becomes obvious that something is at play. 

I "suspect" it might be bias but I could be wrong. ?

Guest Music monster

when I had my Roksan tms 2 with a van dun haul black Beauty mc cartridge I did find 45 rpm to sound better. Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster
Mistake

3 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Side by side - yes that is so blindingly obvious it doesn’t need to be stated, surely?

To be clear: I have heard the 45 rpm on another system which I am familiar with several times and was very impressed. 

I haven’t done a direct comparison with that 45 on my system with the versions that I do own and listen to regularly on my system ie the DSD, 24/96 flac and 33 rpm vinyl. Of these 3 the 33 vinyl is more engaging on my system.

I may be absolutely totally wrongheaded but I suspect that the 45 would be even better in a side by side comparison on my system. I wouldn’t bet my house on it but based on my experience of the two systems and the 4 versions it’s a reasonable conjecture. 

Russ, 

We make assumptions all the time. And very reasonable ones at that. But what motivates us in this context? It's reasonable to assume its backed by bias. 

We all do it. Me included. 

Guest Music monster
2 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

what does that mean?

I’m not perfect I failed English at school and finished up school at age 14 to find a job and buy my first hifi system. You can pick on me it’s ok. Gary the music monster ?

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, Music monster said:

I’m not perfect I failed English at school and finished up school at age 14 to find a job and buy my first hifi system. You can pick on me it’s ok. Gary the music monster ?

??

Who's picking on you? Apologies if it came across that way.

But I still don't know what it means?

11 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Russ, 

We make assumptions all the time. And very reasonable ones at that. But what motivates us in this context? It's reasonable to assume its backed by bias. 

We all do it. Me included. 

Mine was a casual observation based on a mixture of experience and conjecture. yes, it’s a fair cop, and assumptions. So sue me.

Frankly, I have no interest in convincing anyone about my views. I do, however, enjoy open speculative conversation with people of good will whose experience and opinion I respect. 

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 2

Guest Music monster
16 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

??

Who's picking on you? Apologies if it came across that way.

But I still don't know what it means?

I think you do but not to worry. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

Yes I will.should work good as it sounds good now with the Mac gear I currently have. Cheers gary the music monster ?

Oh boy! what a roll...

In the mids of all this I'm trying to watch the cricket since I was too busy at the gym getting fit ? as well as "enjoying" the music!

Looks like I need to make a few things clear as it has upset the apple cart/s... 

All very valid points mentioned here about high res, SACDs, other digital formats and vinyl... And whatever else I missed.

These are my final points:

1. I'm definitely not claiming that vinyl is better than digital, or better than SACD or any other medium. They're all fine as long as you can source the very best of that format.

2. If you have come across a particular type of source, whatever that may be, in whatever format it's in, and if that particular item gives you the highest level of "quality playback" in your system, by all means use more of that!

3. In my experience within this last week, the G-man came over with a top quality CD that was an unusual recording. It was not just top quality, which I thought I did have a lot of...?Rather this particular one was out of the ordinary! One that is very hard to find, not available on general sale, and very limited edition to such a point that it may very well be the one and last recording of that CD!

4. After listening to that UDC FIM 24k gold pressing, I realised the full potential of my system and came to the realisation that the digital playback rig that I currently have is WAY more than adequate. Hence, there's absolutely no need whatsoever to "upgrade" the digital player to another level.  Like one of those top tier fancy ones that cost half a car... It is not required, at least for me that is, the Mac SACD player is more than adequate to get the job done. We both listened to it and were extremely pleased with the results and playback quality.

5. Which leads to my next point:

Having not spent over 20 grand for another digital rig, I will now focus that expenditure on high quality reference recordings, both on SACD / CD, and vinyl. After visiting ARR, which I should have done years ago, could have saved me heaps from spending on mediocre recordings that I have so much of... 

6. Now after discovering not only the potential of my current digital rig but also the potential of the analog rig, which I recently upgraded, I'm just very thankful I didn't go over the top and settled for the level I can afford. The true justification for this upgrade has now been realised only after I discovered these reference quality recordings. With that, my experience and enjoyment of music has taken on a new level!

The final point I would like to emphasise on is simply this: after discovering these wonderful formats and having experienced sheer brilliance in top quality without a doubt, I will continue to pursue more of these high grade audiophile recordings, simply because the system deserves it! 

I'm sure yours does too! 

And that's all she wrote!

Cheers, and enjoy your music

? RJ

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

"Friday night in San Francisco" - i must have listened to this album more than 50 times, but not in the last 20 yrs lol.

Big dog - are these 10 albums you bought remasters of things you allready have?

Can I commit sacrilege and suggest a streaming service like Tidal or Qobuz which have a large range of high quality recordings and virtually unlimited music. Use something like Roon radio with all the options and you will discover more and more unbelievable music. Your system wil sound better than ever.

Audio Geek, 

These 12 LP sets that I purchased from ARR- Charles, are not duplicates, thank goodness for that! 

Although the majority of artists I do have are on either CD & SACD. For example, Charlie Hayden, Ray Brown, Vanessa Fernandez, Holy Cole, and Patricia Barber I've got on SACD and they're excellent! Very smooth overall presentation, crystal clear as with SACDs, solid Dynamics and transient attacks, plus superb vocal range, very good recordings, no doubt! 

Those same artists on the LPs which are 45rpm, high quality reference recordings and 180g vinyl just sound different. I wouldn't say that one is far better over the other, just different in a more enjoyable form. So what I generally do is listen to a particular album from say Patricia Barber on SACD /cd as much as possible. Then turn to the LP for a different album and enjoy that particular album just as much! 

I wanted to avoid duplicating albums on different formats, I found for one, it's a waste of money and two, it really makes no sense to have duplicates unless you were doing demos and actually selling highend audio gear to customers in order to educate them on the differences and what the playback chain is capable of. 

I would just sit back, pour that scotch, light that cigar and enjoy the music! Cheers mate, RJ

Well done Bro Joamonte, basically each time you remove a lump of metal from the signal path .. you get better details, dynamics etc...

Enjoy your music..... :)

I don’t dare to bypass the fuse , very tempting ?