Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, ghost4man said:

On that basis RJ a high caps ME 850 would absolutely destroy most high end amps given its power supplies and access to huge current delivery at a fraction of the cost :)

The fact it can sit on a 0.5 ohm load all day long says a lot about the quality of the amp.

Cheers.

Ozzie

Oh! That certainly looks interesting, looks like running into Wallaby Allan Alaatoa,  prop forward weighing in at 125kg- look out! 

If it can handle impedence swings from less than 1ohm, now we're talking serious amplification. I've never heard of the ME range or ever listened to one driving difficult loads or let me rephrase, "reactive loads". Should be a great experience, especially partnered with a musical tube preamp, that would certainly be an all round performance of power with finesse!

What do these amplifiers sound like Ghostie? Are they warm sounding, close to tubes and do they use MOSFET outputs or Bi-polar devices?

RJ 

9 hours ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Is it really able to do that? What sort of power does it deliver when doing it?

impressive ?

Yes it can. And I believe the Hi Caps version is even better. I believe from memory it has something like 500,000 microfarads with a 2.5Kva transformer. Mind you Sanders the ME are renown for dealing with difficult loads.

Andy I agree it would.

RJ et all have a look at this ad:

70 amps output. 

Edited by ghost4man

That's an excellent point Ghostie! 

In fact this has always bothered me to the very day I got hooked into the high-end.

Sometimes I ask myself, is it really worth it? Was it really necessary? Is that particular upgrade going to be that good of an upgrade... Can I just be content with this item and what's so dam special about the fancy one? 

And the list goes on... 

I've had my fair share of some major disasters and one in particular, the Wilson's, which nearly left me completely broke plus jobless. Don't want to ever go down that path. 

At the end of the day, my motto has always been, just afford what you can, cut the coat according to the cloth, don't get carried away with fancy stuff, ego's and high-end reviewers, and most of all, just sit back and enjoy what you have. Enjoy your music Ghostie, cheers to that! ? RJ 

Guest Music monster

Check this amplifier out gentlemen. pivetta opera only 2.2 million US dollars. Must be the best amplifier in the world buy an easy margin.gary the music monster ?

FA48037D-7AE1-4EC7-AE4A-CB5A4C5AA400.jpeg

What the hell is that! 

Looks like a very bad hair due in the mornings...

Even if I was paid the 1 million for it, I wouldn't have this Alien in the system, hell no! 

Nice one G-man, what are your thoughts... 

Any review on this, interesting to read up just for the heck of it. 

Cheers mate, RJ 

Guest Music monster

dont know much about it,just that it’s the most expensive and most likely the very best amplifier on planet earth. Its about 2 meters high and nearly as wide.plenty of info online.mate 1 million will buy you only half of it without the boxes?gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

• Volunteer
9 minutes ago, Music monster said:

dont know much about it,just that it’s the most expensive and most likely the very best

Most expensive perhaps. 

Best? I seriously doubt that (I’m not even sure how that would be defined)

Guest Music monster

It’s definitely the biggest and most powerful amplifier in the world easily and along with that I believe the highest quality amplifier available as well.takes six months to build. Gary the music monster ?

On 05/07/2019 at 7:28 PM, Big Dog RJ said:

What do these amplifiers sound like Ghostie? Are they warm sounding, close to tubes and do they use MOSFET outputs or Bi-polar devices?

RJ 

All ME design by Peter Stein are Bipolar devices,  mainly Motorola 16A bJT devices    The designed requirements are that they are supposed to be critically matched both in HFE and base current (mA)  have to be a particular value.  If you do a search on these neck of the woods, a certain member who use to be very active and is a service agent for ME will normally give you a run down.    But he’s taking a break from these neck of the woods!  

Edited by Addicted to music

Guest Music monster

Trevor every thing I have herd about this amplifier says it’s in a league of its own and at 2.2million usd it should be. Highest quality would be As close as possible to a live performance in my opinion.gary the music monster 

Edited by Music monster

Wow - an ME850 would be a very interesting amp to try with some big (passive) Maggies, Oz!  :thumb:

Andy

I drive my MG3.7i’s with an ME25/ME850 pre/power combo. The ME850 is a non hicap version but it doesn’t even come near to being stretched by the Maggie’s. It still has phenomenal grunt in the power supply department.

4 minutes ago, mjs said:

I drive my MG3.7i’s with an ME25/ME850 pre/power combo. The ME850 is a non hicap version but it doesn’t even come near to being stretched by the Maggie’s. It still has phenomenal grunt in the power supply department.

Very interesting, mjs - I'd love to hear that combo.  :)

Andy

Very interesting, mjs - I'd love to hear that combo.  [emoji4]

Andy

Somewhat more modest than Gary’s setup but it works for me. NP to have a listen if you’re interested.
  • Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 5:22 PM, ghost4man said:

The ME amplifiers and in particular the 850, at that price tends to silence a lot of audiophiles. ?

Well, I just came back from listening to an ME850 driving some 3.7s - plus a pair of DWMs!  All I can say is ... sensational!!  :thumb:

On 07/07/2019 at 10:55 AM, Music monster said:

Great setup mjs I’m sure the sound would be excellent enjoy.gary the music monster ?

It certainly was a great sound, Gary.  :)

Andy

Depends what you mean by “deep enough”. The DWMs are bass panels, not sub woofers, so they augment the main panels, a little deeper performance, but not sub sonic if that’s what you mean.

Mind you, Andy brought some sensational recordings on 45rpm vinyl, very enjoyable, particularly “One Night in San Francisco”!

(Been searching for some in the last ten mins or so [emoji1787][emoji1787])

Depends what you mean by “deep enough”. The DWMs are bass panels, not sub woofers, so they augment the main panels, a little deeper performance, but not sub sonic if that’s what you mean.

So you prefer them over normal Subwoofers? Been considering the DWMs for a while now.

Finally someone touched upon the "quality" of the recording! 

After nearly a year of contemplating whether to spend more or not on high quality reference recordings, top Audiophile grade, mostly 45rpm and 180g heavy weight pressings, that was truly justified on my one week off work. Only this Tues I met with Charles at his store, Audiophile Reference Recordings and picked up 12 pristine limited editions. Oh my goodness gracious! What a level of realism and what I've been missing out on all these years, it's not even funny...

These are all pressed by RTI, which is proprietry in very high quality vinyl pressings for labels, such as Yarlung records, Groove Note, Groove works, Impex, Genesis Advanced technologies, Naim Audio, Three Blind Mice, Direct-to-disc mastering records and some labels I've never heard of simply because we're so used to the main-stream rubbish. 

The G-man also brought along a very rare Limited Edition UDC 24k gold First Impressions CD pressing, wow! That was the very best digital level of finesse I've ever heard on my system to date! 

So MJ, if you are serious in the "quality" of the music you listen to and would like to get a few steps closer to the soundstage, I highly recommend these Quality Reference Recordings, you'll be amazed at how much more realistic your system will sound. Also, I believe that the finest gear you can possibly afford deserves the finest recordings money can buy! 

Cheers to Audiophile Reference Recordings, there is no comparison. And if it's on the recording the system will be able to reproduce exactly that! There's no point trying to add more bass and tweak and create artificial enhancements when it's not even on the recording to begin with.

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes! RJ 

1 hour ago, mjs said:

Mind you, Andy brought some sensational recordings on 45rpm vinyl, very enjoyable, particularly “One Night in San Francisco”!

(Been searching for some in the last ten mins or so emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png)

Not sure if you'll be able to find a new copy, Malcolm - but I noticed from the link to Audiophile Reference Recordings that @Big Dog RJ posted ... they do have that Three Blind Mice 45rpm set (on p17 of their "New Arrivals" catalogue!).  :thumb:

58 minutes ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Finally someone touched upon the "quality" of the recording! 

After nearly a year of contemplating whether to spend more or not on high quality reference recordings, top Audiophile grade, mostly 45rpm and 180g heavy weight pressings, that was truly justified on my one week off work. Only this Tues I met with Charles at his store, Audiophile Reference Recordings and picked up 12 pristine limited editions. Oh my goodness gracious! What a level of realism and what I've been missing out on all these years, it's not even funny...

Thanks for the link, Raj - he certainly has some wonderful LPs! :)

Andy

Edited by andyr

Guest Music monster

We are certainly very lucky to have audiophile reference recordings. I have being buying very hard to get music from there for many many years now. Highly recommend for serious audiophiles. Gary the music monster ?