Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi guys , 

My experience using my ARC REF610T w/ the KT120 factory upgrade kit driving the MG3A using the stock external X over was not good . It was so bright , white and very little bass . It’s better when I use my pair of ARC D79B’s w/ the ARC EC21 tube X Over ( active biamplification) . It’s not as powerful but it’s musical . I posted these finding as well at the planar page of audioasylum and they said the stock external X Over is no good due to the cheap parts and it can be improved if one will better capacitors / parts for the stock X Over 

In all due respect the ARC 610's aren't that great, rather having brute force to drive difficult loads. In back to back comparison, I, along with three other senior audiophiles from the UK, preferred the Ref 250's. It was not only more quicker and agile but also far more musical in our opinion. After the demo, one of the chaps bought the Ref250's to drive his CLX's, shipped all the way from Spore to Milton Keynes, he's absolutely loving it! 

The brightness can also come from the true ribbon tweeter, such that Magnepan used to supply added resistors in order to tame down that brightness. Now with the newer series, MG3.7i, MG20.7 & MG30.7, this brightness has been addressed, especially in the 30.7's, apparently they are far more coherent. MG3.7i & 20.7 I have had direct experience with but not the 30.7's as yet. From what I was told, exceptional ribbon design all round and getting better by the minute. 

Based on my personal experience, CJ delivers greater resolution and musicality compared to ARC, VTL or Manley Labs, I've used all three in monoblock configuration with both Maggie's and the Apogee Diva.

To me it's a very refined presentation, superb clarity and depth in soundstage, extended airy highs and a glorious palpable mid-range, which has always been the top hallmark of CJ amplification. CJ and Maggie's are a marvelous combination.

You have to listen to a pair of top quality monoblocks running with either KT120's or EL34's partnered with any of their reference line preamps, just superb! Then you have the ART300's using the new KT150 power house, hence why they're getting so dam expensive now... 

Cheers, RJ

Hi BigDog RJ ,

Thanks for the reply . I’ve auditioned the REF250 and REF250SE ( unfortunately have not tried it w/ the current  Magnepan Models ) w/ the Focal Grande Utopia they’re musical but one thing that I can’t fathom is that subjectively they don’t sound as powerful at specified power . It seems my old D250MK2 servo and my old favourite ARC Classic 150 monoblocks has power and does dynamic contrast galore just like my REF 610T.  A friend of mine who got my old D250MK 2 servo is the current custodian and it matches well w/ his Magnepan 3.6. 

These vintage amps are musical as well but not as clean nor as having a dark background as the REF 250SE . 

Maybe it’s time for me to listen to it again w/ my rebuilt Magnepan MG3A.

I have not listened to my REF 610T w/ the Magnepan MG3A yet w/ the new powercord I currently acquired ( a pair of  Shunyata King Cobra CX) . These power cords are a game changer for the REF610T . It improved the musicality and dynamic contrast of these amps compared to the stock  PC . Once I try it I will report my findings . 

I agree w/ you  regarding the KT150’s , I have audioned it in the REF750SE and it’s more musical and had a thicker texture , more meat in the bone sound than the REF 750 that had the KT120’s . 

Best regard, 

Wow great you certainly don’t need anymore lol . Gary the music monster [emoji445]
Actually, I'm very tempted to get a pair of 1.7s.

Our place now is temporary and the listening room is quite small. Hence I'm using the Mg12 for music and the 1.6s for movies. So very tempted to get the 1.7s to replace the Mg12s. But the trouble is once we move into the new place end of the year, the Tympani will be back as the main speakers for music. So not too sure if it's worth getting the 1.7s for jsut a few months. But then again, I am planning to collect the Maggie's lol
  • Like 1

Guest Music monster

I had a pair sound excellent. best value  for money. Bill has a second hand pair now for $2500.if your a collector why not . Gary the music monster ?

8 hours ago, 930turbo said:

Hi BigDog RJ ,

Thanks for the reply . I’ve auditioned the REF250 and REF250SE ( unfortunately have not tried it w/ the current  Magnepan Models ) w/ the Focal Grande Utopia they’re musical but one thing that I can’t fathom is that subjectively they don’t sound as powerful at specified power . It seems my old D250MK2 servo and my old favourite ARC Classic 150 monoblocks has power and does dynamic contrast galore just like my REF 610T.  A friend of mine who got my old D250MK 2 servo is the current custodian and it matches well w/ his Magnepan 3.6. 

These vintage amps are musical as well but not as clean nor as having a dark background as the REF 250SE . 

Maybe it’s time for me to listen to it again w/ my rebuilt Magnepan MG3A.

I have not listened to my REF 610T w/ the Magnepan MG3A yet w/ the new powercord I currently acquired ( a pair of  Shunyata King Cobra CX) . These power cords are a game changer for the REF610T . It improved the musicality and dynamic contrast of these amps compared to the stock  PC . Once I try it I will report my findings . 

I agree w/ you  regarding the KT150’s , I have audioned it in the REF750SE and it’s more musical and had a thicker texture , more meat in the bone sound than the REF 750 that had the KT120’s . 

Best regard, 

I subscribe to Zaphs view on this when it comes to power cords. Unless you are willing to do a double blind test then you are doing yourself an injustice. 

I don't think there is one type of amplifier that is the perfect fit for Maggie's. Rather I think it comes down to trialling all sorts of different gear and then forming your own view. 

Maggie's typically require loads of current but that's not the complete story. The overwhelming majority of valve amps will struggle with them especially in the bottom end. 

Without mentioning names but I know of someone who has a pair of BHK monoblocs which have shut down not being able to deal with the load at those levels so it is not just valves that struggle. 

I have not heard of anyone on the planar site that has or would recommend using valves on the bottom end of an active Maggie system so I question how effective they would be going full range. No question they are used on the mids and true ribbon. 

So Ghostman,

If I read correctly: you are questioning how tube power amps would drive Maggie's full range effectively... Correct? 

Well, that simply shows that you've actually not heard any of the 4-5 tube power amp combinations I have already mentioned!

I will reiterate again!

1. VTL (apart from the heavy duty high powered reference series, I think GruvyGuru, Peter, mentioned that Rab has a pair of VTL MBL450's. Yes he does! I just saw them this arvo when I picked up my new RP8 TT). Now these big boys will drive any Maggie system effortlessly, they are superb monoblocks and very well designed with a "stiff power supply". Plenty of current/ capacitence and ample headroom, they won't flinch one bit! 

2. ARC: the ones I've heard that had absolutely no issues driving ribbons full range: Ref150, Ref250, Ref75se, also some of the much older units, can't remember the exact models but were rated at 250w, 350w and above. Also The much older Ref series top of the line 600w monoblocks had no issues either T600 something series... 

3. Manley labs: Manley snapper monoblocks, Manley 250 & Manley 500's, absolutely no sweat even driving much larger Apogee Diva's.

4. Melos (no longer in production) but I think these were the Gold 400 triodes. Drove my previous MG3.5/r with supreme control and finesse. One of our customer's could only afford the power amps at the time, hence the preamp was an Audio Note, which he purchased much later. This particular combination driving the MG3.5/r full range was one of the best at the time (99/2000).

5. CJ: premier 5 monoblocks, premier 8, 12, 11a, & premier 140. LP125m, 275m, 260m, ART monoblocks and the new ART300's. (have a look at any of these on their website, and look up the specs, they outclass nearly every SS ever built other than the very top end stuff.

Apart from the above, you can also get in touch with Lew Johnson, now retired and taken over by Jeff Fischel, regarding CJ, you might learn a few things about true tube power and the way CJ designs its amplifiers.

You can also get in contact with Eve Anna Manley, president of Manley Labs. She is a very nice person to talk to and meet with. Her motto "tubes rule! " She's so passionate about tubes, it's not even funny. She'll also tell you the many downsides of both topologies and at the end of the day, the true work horses... 

VTL: you can still contact Luke Manley, he's always up for a challenge between tubes and SS. And he'll never give up on tube power amplifiers, he's probably the most passionate from the lot! And loves demo's with his VTL gear and panels. Another marvelous combination.

There's one more chap, who can still be contacted after so many decades, I'm still surprised he's very active in all his designs, and that is the legend himself, Bob Carver. He now has his own company, Carver Corp, produces two or three models: 120w, 180w & 300w monoblocks all tube design and still uses the famous KT88.

The people who I've mentioned above are not your average person who are merely enthusiasts and have experienced a few things... Rather these are the owners of their work, the sole designers of their passion and the work of art they represent.

Therefore, if you are ever in any doubt of what tube amplification can do, it's strengths in driving mids/highs but weakness in bass, and not being able to drive panels or difficult loads full range, just get in touch with any of the above, and be prepared to get a thunderous applause!

Cheers mate and all the best, RJ

16 hours ago, DMax said:

Actually, I'm very tempted to get a pair of 1.7s.

Our place now is temporary and the listening room is quite small. Hence I'm using the Mg12 for music and the 1.6s for movies. So very tempted to get the 1.7s to replace the Mg12s. But the trouble is once we move into the new place end of the year, the Tympani will be back as the main speakers for music. So not too sure if it's worth getting the 1.7s for jsut a few months. But then again, I am planning to collect the Maggie's lol

I think @Addicted to music still has his for sale.

Andy

• Like 1

Addicted, at the base, there is very little back and forth movement, maybe 0, due to weight bearing down and the friction with the floor,  but at the top where the panel is only constrained by the stiffness of the frame, the frame moves in the air opposing the push/pull of the diaphragm. Some sound is lost.

Many people have added bracing / triangulation higher up the frame. Maybe you should trust their judgment.

Andy, I think other reasons Maggies don't come with better braced stands may also be to do with ugliness and marketing (plus cost as you said). Admittedly it's at the back....

Guest Music monster

IMHO the 30.7s are a steal at the price.a four panel state of the art speaker.where else are you going to get this level of performance for anywhere near there asking price,in fact they will outperform speakers in the 100k plus range now we are starting to get abit expensive.cheers gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

This is my current set up.hooked up infinity reference kappa 9 for a listen to get a change in sound.at the other side of the room I have a pair ok khorns. Gary the music monster ?

Edited by Music monster

Now that's what I call "dynamic!" At its finest.

Hey G mate,  you forgot to include the main piece of the showcase - YOU! 

The young music monster... 

Those Kappa's don't do justice in the photo but when you look at these beauties in person, they're massive! No wonder many amps crappo themselves when driving these huge beats. The Kappa's are a real test for any amplifier ever designed. Great stuff mate, cheers and big woof! RJ 

This is my current set up.hooked up infinity reference kappa 9 for a listen to get a change in sound.at the other side of the room I have a pair ok khorns. Gary the music monster [emoji445]
41776C8B-D5F9-4E19-951A-FE895D02570D.thumb.jpeg.0a51a475a228205bce42e6e807142eec.jpeg
Very nice! Those horns are very tall!

Nice listening room too! Have you measure the width? Will the 30.7s fit?