Sir Triode

Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

That was a good read mate. Thanks for sharing the link.

I have an even deeper appreciation of my humble Maggie MMG now :)

that's one of the more comprehensive photographic reports on the factory I've seen. And the elevated platform for the workers safety

Guest Gary janezic

Hi I am interested in magnapan speakers and like to know how they compare in sound quality to my klipschorns that I have.i love these but am looking for something with a much better quality sound hence my interest in magnapan 20,7 or 30,7 speakers. I know Magnepan won’t be as dynamic or as easy to drive but if they were of much higher sound quality I would buy a pair and have 2 different systems.any one out there who has herd both, I would appreciate feedback. Thanks 

29 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi I am interested in magnapan speakers and like to know how they compare in sound quality to my klipschorns that I have.i love these but am looking for something with a much better quality sound hence my interest in magnapan 20,7 or 30,7 speakers. I know Magnepan won’t be as dynamic or as easy to drive but if they were of much higher sound quality I would buy a pair and have 2 different systems.any one out there who has herd both, I would appreciate feedback. Thanks 

Welcome, Gary,

You won't be able to hear any 30.7s - I don't think there are any in the country yet.  However, Peter ( @GroovyGuru , in inner Melbourne, south) has a great-sounding pair of 20.7s.  Then there's also:

• David ( @djb , in inner Melbourne, north) with a pair of restored Tympani 1-Ds
  • and moi - with my 3-way Frankenpans ... basically, Tympani IVas with only 1 bass panel (so I have a pair of 15" cone subs to compensate).  Also in inner Melbourne, south.

Listening to any one of these systems will give you a very good idea of what Maggie sound is all about.

The only point I would make though, is that to get the best out of these bigger Maggies ... you need to:

• either have a powerful amp
  • or you actively bi- or tri- amp.

So what you're using with your Klipschorns will probably not be much good with Maggies.

Andy

Guest Gary janezic

Hi Andy thanks very much for info. I am using McIntosh 452 power amp 450 Watts rms per channel.i bought this for my old pair of proac speakers now have klipschorns.i like the klipsch but looking for something different. Thanks gary 

The 30.7 will not be available in Australia until next year.  I will have a 20.7 to sell when the 30.7 is available. 

3 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi Andy thanks very much for info. I am using McIntosh 452 power amp 450 Watts rms per channel.

Should be very nice with some Maggies!  :thumb:

Andy

Guest Gary janezic

Hi Andy it Should work good with Maggie’s . My room is 15 feet wide buy 25 deep hope it’s big enough for 30.7s. Gary

4 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi Andy thanks very much for info. I am using McIntosh 452 power amp 450 Watts rms per channel.

Should be a reasonably nice match for the maggies. It's my understanding the Maggies go down to 1 ohm in the treble range and the 452 is pretty good at delivering current and rated to 2ohm with their use of autoformers.

Guest Gary janezic

Thanks Andy.do you think a room 15 feet wide and 25 deep would work with 30.7s going from what I read it’s fine.

1 hour ago, Gary janezic said:

Thanks Andy.do you think a room 15 feet wide and 25 deep would work with 30.7s going from what I read it’s fine.

Yes - as long as you understand there can be quite a bit of difference in SQ between "works with" and "sounds its best with".  :)

25' long is great - it's the 15' wide which could be a problem.  :(  Although if you look at the 3rd pic down in the link above - that's only a 15' wide room (so the article says) ... and the bass panels against the wall with the ribbons on the inside would certainly "work".  :)

The other approach is to have the 30.7s on the long wall - in which case you would have the ribbons on the outside.  This would give you a much wider sound stage ... the penalty is that you couldn't have them as far off the front wall.  (I have mine arranged this way - and my room is only 12' "deep".)

Andy

Guest Gary janezic

I am to thinking 15 feet could be abit to narrow only if I had 2 more feet I would be very happy.anyway it will have to do.i am gonna listen to Peters 20,7s soon and decide from there which of the 2 models to get. Thanks Gary 

Put them on the wide wall mate and well apart. The only problem with this is to-in but experience will overcome that.

If you cant do that, don't bother. Get a pair of LS3/5A's.

Edited by Wimbo