Guest Gary janezic

Magnapan speakers

Since the 80's, Ive used the following Maggie models towards 2009:

MGIIIa, MG3.3/r, MG3.5/r, MG3.6/r, & MG20.1

Amplifiers used successfully:

SS - Parasound, Bryston, Plinius, Krell, Harmon Kardon Citation, Musical fidelity, Audio Lab, McIntosh 

Tubes: ARC, VTL, Manley, CJ, Melos, Jadis, Carver, and Cayin.

This is MY personal experience from having sold all these brands over several decades, from the above list have I mentioned Boulder, CH precision or Solutions or D'Agostino anywhere? 

RJ 

23 minutes ago, Big Dog RJ said:

Since the 80's, Ive used the following Maggie models towards 2009:

MGIIIa, MG3.3/r, MG3.5/r, MG3.6/r, & MG20.1

Amplifiers used successfully:

SS - Parasound, Bryston, Plinius, Krell, Harmon Kardon Citation, Musical fidelity, Audio Lab, McIntosh 

Tubes: ARC, VTL, Manley, CJ, Melos, Jadis, Carver, and Cayin.

This is MY personal experience from having sold all these brands over several decades, from the above list have I mentioned Boulder, CH precision or Solutions or D'Agostino anywhere? 

RJ 

One of our resident SNAers @Audionutz has the Citation which he uses to drive his Martin Logans.

They are reputed to be stupendously good!

At the minute he is using a pair of Esoteric Audio Research EAR 859's which if I am correct he rates above the Citation in this combination.

Having spoken to Scott I would love to couple my maggies with the Mark Levinson ML2 monoblocs. 

Nope, sorry mate. Correction as follows 😉

I doubt the poster above has the Citation XX? But anything’s possible.

The EAR amps are a different model - 549 Monos.

Cheers

Scott

11 hours ago, Audionutz said:

Nope, sorry mate. Correction as follows 😉

I doubt the poster above has the Citation XX? But anything’s possible.

The EAR amps are a different model - 549 Monos.

Cheers

Scott

Scott thanks for correction. Knew there was a 4 & 5 somewhere in there 😊 

Got my infinity kappa 9 speakers yesterday and they sound very good ,amazing when you consider they are 30 years old. I remember hearing these at Tivoli hifi in 1988 ,but they sound so much better today than they did in 1988.why ? They were very advanced at the time and I think no equipment could do them proper justice. With much better components of today ,it truly brings the best out of these classic infinity’s. You could spend 20 thousand on some new speakers made today and they won’t beat these wonderful speakers. Cheers and enjoy the music.gary the music monster 🎶

Those old Infinity speakers were amazing. You're right in that no electronics back then could drive them. With their crossovers they dropped to 1 ohm in places and only modern amplification could really make the most of them. I had a pair of infinity car speakers back then with the ribbon tweeters that I unfortunately sold with the car many years ago that I still miss today.

It is these ribbon tweeters that stand out on kappa 9 still sound excellent even by today’s standard, mids and bass is good as well. One of the best speakers to come out of the 80s.and they look beautiful as well. Gary the music monster 🎶

18 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Got my infinity kappa 9 speakers yesterday and they sound very good ,amazing when you consider they are 30 years old. I remember hearing these at Tivoli hifi in 1988 ,but they sound so much better today than they did in 1988.why ? 

It might be your that hearing after 30 years is now a better match with the ribbons. Thats courtesy of the free high frequency roll off hearing adjustment.

Could be but im a few years away from 50 and I can still hear to 16 kHz. I prefer a stronger top end and these give it to me.gary the music monster 🎶