Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Music monster

Does anyone know what brand these speakers are? And that huge wired looking speaker cable would like to know . Thanks gary the music monster ?

19 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Does anyone know what brand these speakers are? And that huge wired looking speaker cable would like to know . Thanks gary the music monster ?

It looks like a brilliant DIY design. Definitely eccentric. In fact I suspect its got a secondary function in cleaning the room in true male DIY spirit, working as a vibrational dust extractor. The drivers tuned to vibrate dust off surfaces and the vacuum hose "Cables" suck the airborne dust out of the room through the bottom port.  Brilliant.

I agree with you, Gary - most of the time you need an extended listen to work out which is the better-sounding component.

But sometimes (with an A-B-A test), you can immediately identify that one of the two components/wires sounds better.

Andy

Edited by andyr

Picking up the discussion.

A long time ago, I had the SMGc's, but foolishly sold them. I've wanted to get a pair again, and some 10-12 years ago I walked into Absolute Sound in Adelphi. I was quoted almost S$9,000 for the small 5.1 model, meaning 6 panels).

I walked out because it didn't make sense. From what I've read and heard, they seem to be the same now.

I wonder if it's possible to do an MO, for say the 0.X or 1.X models.

Daniel

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Guest Music monster

I’m wondering what’s the difference between the Maggie’s 3.7i and 20.7s apart from the size difference. Are the drivers and cross over the same?. Have a friend interested in them and he’s asked me . Any feedback would be great. Gary the music monster ?

1 hour ago, Gary janezic said:

I’m wondering what’s the difference between the Maggie’s 3.7i and 20.7s apart from the size difference. Are the drivers and cross over the same?. Have a friend interested in them and he’s asked me . Any feedback would be great. Gary the music monster ?

Quite simple, Gary:

• they both are 3-ways with the same true-ribbon tweeter
  • they both have 1st order series XOs
  • the 3.7i has magnets on one side of the bass & mid panel mylar
  • the 20.7 has magnets on both sides of the bass & mid panel mylar.

Andy

Guest Music monster

Hi Andy thanks. There isn’t much difference.i haven’t herd either but would think the sound quality would be about the same,but 20.7s would be more dynamic and able to play louder.the 3.7i are half the price so even better value than 20.7s. Gary the music monster ?

1 hour ago, Gary janezic said:

Hi Andy thanks. There isn’t much difference.i haven’t herd either but would think the sound quality would be about the same,but 20.7s would be more dynamic and able to play louder.the 3.7i are half the price so even better value than 20.7s. Gary the music monster ?

I don't agree with you, Gary.  The double-sided magnets (on the 20.7) make a helluva difference, in terms of dynamics!

But the extra size of the bass panel on the 20.7 doesn't remove the need for subs.

Andy

Guest Music monster

Ok so these magnets must make a big difference, I wouldn’t have fort double sided magnets would make a big difference if everything else is the same in both speakers.im still new to this technology, obviously you know much more than me. Cheers  gary the music monster ?

11 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Isn't the tweeter longer as well?

Nope. They both have the same version 2 true ribbon tweeter which makes them just a little bit longer and narrower than the previous iteration.

The magnets should make a difference but how much is a little bit difficult to determine.

I have heard both the 20.7s and tympani 1Ds and I rate the bass on the 1Ds to be better. That is just my opinion but as has been discussed before there are a lot of different

elements to a maggie system that needs to be right in order to get a good sound.

Guest Music monster

The 20.7s are double the price of 3.7i, is the difference really that big considering the only difference is the magnets,makes me wonder. Gary the music monster ?

4 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

The 20.7s are double the price of 3.7i, is the difference really that big considering the only difference is the magnets,makes me wonder. Gary the music monster ?

Mate I dont think so personally. A good 3.7i in the right sized room with good equipment has the potential to sound just as good if not better than a 20.7. 

To say that a 20.7 at its best will sound better than a 3.7i at its best is I think misguided.

Guest Music monster

Ok than I believe magnapan should have given the ribbon tweeters in the 30.7s an update. This speaker is more than double the price of 20.7s , it should be using better tweeters than the other models.gary the music monster ?

Hey G mate, great to see you back on the Maggie train... Just to add my 50cts worth:

As a former Magnepan dealer and high-end audio retailer for the South East Asia region, appointed as a secondary dealership from our principles based in Singapore, we used to get this type of question very often. 

For those potential customers wanting to upgrade or wanting to know if the difference in models vs pricing was justified, as per your question, instead of spinning the usual sales pitch, like most dealers do, I contacted Steve (head of tech) for Magnepan at the time based in Minnesota, for a more honest and direct answer.

From our discussions at the time, this is what I gathered:

1. Based on the MG3 series, the true ribbon tweeter has been introduced, which provides for the added high frequency extension. 

2. This true ribbon is also the main element in delivering a more precise image, added depth and spacial cues in the soundstage, along with a character of fine "resolution".

3. As you move up the models from the MG3 series to the MG20 series, you are getting more of this "resolution" and "inner detail".

4. The major differences apart from this added fine element of inner detail and resolution, also allows the much larger panel to reproduce lower frequencies, capturing more of the low notes compared to the MG3 series.

5. If you are very happy with the room size, level of playback and dynamic response generated in the room by the amplification driving your current Maggie model, that's about as good as it gets! There is no reason to upgrade. 

6. If your room is much larger, and listening levels are preferred at higher SPL's, also you prefer much deeper bass without the use of augmenting the bass by the use of subs, then upgrading to a much larger panel, such as the MG20 series is the most applicable path.

7. Overall, from the MG3 series to the MG20 series the actual sound "quality" remains pretty much the same.  It is a few areas such as, resolution, inner detail & dynamic low frequency that is delivered on a much larger scale, including a more palpable mid-range due to a larger panel ribbon-radiating area.

Now with this info, I also discussed these points with my good mate in Spore who has the 30.7's, just for comparison, and his points were as follows:

1. Any of the MG3 series and 20 series are marvelous ribbon transducers, the owner only needs to address room size and how much he wants to energize the room, based on these two criteria, a perfect Maggie model can be sourced.

2. The 30.7 is slightly a different breed, such that it utilizes two panels per side, which are "dis-jointed".

This dis-jointed mids & highs panel allows the mids and ribbon tweeter to move freely unhindered from the bass panel, where the MG 3 & 20 series are joined as one panel. 

3. Similarly the bass panel, which is actually two bass panels joined together to deliver a much larger radiating surface, dedicated only to bass notes, is also dis-jointed from the mids&highs panel, allowing it to move more freely reproducing a very clean and fast bass response.

The 30.7 is basically an upgraded all out assault from the original Tympani, that was their flagship and now it's the 30.7's.

He further went onto say, and I also noticed this, apart from those elements (panel size, cross-over points, larger surface area, dual magnets, upgraded input connectors and internal wiring) the overall "improvement in materials" used between the full series is hardly a difference, even in the top of the line 30.7's.

If Magnepan were to utilize the best capacitors, the most expensive point to point wiring, top grade silver contacts, plus a far more rigid brace / stand for all their models, then you will not find Maggie's anywhere close to the price range they are currently in. Hence, the whole motto of Maggie's being "value for money" would be completely lost! 

Maggie's today are made with the best material that Magnepan has put together to provide an all round ribbon transducer that is fully capable of reproducing the live event or at least the "illusion" of recreating the live event.

I sincerely believe, regardless of price, Maggie's deliver the absolute sound, without much tweaking, use of subs, heavy bracing or utilizing top notch materials and parts. Maggie's deliver all that any critical audiophile demands. Whether on a small budget or large budget, you can very easily afford the smallest MG series and be fully content with what they deliver. Then we have larger offerings for larger budgets and you can go right to the top, which is the 30.7, and be very pleased with the results. However, to reach that full ribbon transducer potential, it is not necessary to over-spend, unlike a full range stat, which is a totally different equation when trying to gauge the SOTA, and trust me I've been there! 

So on that note my good mate, I think I've covered your questions in all areas, MG models, room size, amplification and budgets. At the end of the day, tell your friend that according to his budget, he can rest assured that whichever MG series he decides to purchase, he's getting "value for money"!

Cheers mate, RJ

9 hours ago, Gary janezic said:

Ok than I believe magnapan should have given the ribbon tweeters in the 30.7s an update. This speaker is more than double the price of 20.7s , it should be using better tweeters than the other models.gary the music monster ?

That will be in the next product cycle; 40.7.    :thumb::D

How else are they gonna generate income!  

• Like 1

Picking up the discussion.

A long time ago, I had the SMGc's, but foolishly sold them. I've wanted to get a pair again, and some 10-12 years ago I walked into Absolute Sound in Adelphi. I was quoted almost S$9,000 for the small 5.1 model, meaning 6 panels).

I walked out because it didn't make sense. From what I've read and heard, they seem to be the same now.

I wonder if it's possible to do an MO, for say the 0.X or 1.X models.

Daniel

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Problem with Magnaplan is after a few year it need to send back agent for recondition , if buy direct from US shipping back to US might be a problem , I not sure whether TAS technician willing to help re-glue the speaker or not if it wasn’t buy from them..

I heard TAS told me the 3.7i do not require recondition because not the panel is glue at both side of the voice coil instead of only one side like older model, but I doubt so because I did hear some sign of distortion on a pair of used 3.7 I interested to buy before I order the 3.7i....anyway I ask before Hong kong 3.7i is about 8% cheaper than Singapore at last year NOV when TAS retail price is 9k plus , but beginning of this years TAS increased the retail price of 3.7i and now it cost $10k plus , I think the different is even more.

Guest Music monster

Hey raj your correct, there all surberb transducers at there prices and as you move up each model is an improvement over the other. I was very happy with 1.7i they sounded excellent in my room. What I’m trying to find out how much better is the 20.7 over the 3.7i as the only difference is double magnets on the 20.7 that 3.7i doesn’t have. Yes definitely the 20.7 are better but how much 10, 15 percent for double the price? Gary the music monster ?