Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Hey Maties, I was just wondering, we're all talking about Magnepan / Maggies and so on... This is wonderful free advertising and brand/speaker awareness for Magnepan as a company and for Bill! McCleans!

I wonder whether we should be getting any royalty fees / payments eh? For all our hard work of passing round the good word... 

Maggies and y'all... 

Woof! Big ? RJ

Afterall this is a top thread, started by the G-man and has taken SN by storm! Just look at the umber of replies plus the views...,

"push har any farther captain and she'll blow!"

I wholeheartedly agree about the source material. Performance and enjoyment listening to music with a given system, at whatever level and price point will always depend on the quality of the source material. I’ve been bangin’ on about that for years. People get so wound up in the whole media debate (vinyl vs etc) but there are awful through to excellent examples of recordings on all media. I got a download of a so called high quality digital file of the Stones album “Blue and Lonesome” a while ago. Absolutely shocking recording as it turned out, looking at the waveform of the recording it’s compressed to buggery with a dynamic range of about 1dB. Waste of money. I have plenty of vinyl which is also a waste of money as well as a lot which is excellent. Big dog is right, garbage into a top notch system will just result in top notch garbage out, whereas excellent source material will just sing.

Yesterday, Andy and I listened to the 45rpm vinyl of “Friday Night in San Francisco”. Well, I was absolutely blown away, the level of detail, the dynamic range, the realism was staggering, I don’t think that the system has ever sounded better. I made the comment that I have never had the sense of the three of them playing so quickly as I did yesterday (apart from when I’ve seen them live many years ago) I have the same album on 33rpm vinyl, CD and ripped CD. I thought I had a hi res version as well, but didn’t. Anyway, played the ripped version via Audirvana and it was lifeless by comparison, by a huge degree and the system sounded average. So, all of that resulted in more spending on source material, the 45 rpm vinyl version from Audiophile Reference Recordings and a DSD version from the US overnight (will listen to that shortly). At least the expenditure was nowhere near 56 grand! [emoji1787][emoji1787]

It’s a wonderful obsession, this never ending quest for audio nirvana

• Like 1

Well said MJ and well written. Good analysis and hands on experience! Panels are very revealing speakers, including many other top line dynamic driver types, and other esoteric designs. When that source material is right, the system is well laid out and all components are in synergy boy does it open a whole new horizon! It's like a different planet! 

Cheers mate and enjoy those tunes! RJ 

• Like 1

I blame Andy, [emoji1787][emoji1787]I’m now spending more money on source material! Also considering the Three Blind Mice 45 rpm six LP box set for USD289 [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji106][emoji106]

3 hours ago, mjs said:

I wholeheartedly agree about the source material. Performance and enjoyment listening to music with a given system, at whatever level and price point will always depend on the quality of the source material. I’ve been bangin’ on about that for years. People get so wound up in the whole media debate (vinyl vs etc) but there are awful through to excellent examples of recordings on all media. I got a download of a so called high quality digital file of the Stones album “Blue and Lonesome” a while ago. Absolutely shocking recording as it turned out, looking at the waveform of the recording it’s compressed to buggery with a dynamic range of about 1dB. Waste of money. I have plenty of vinyl which is also a waste of money as well as a lot which is excellent. Big dog is right, garbage into a top notch system will just result in top notch garbage out, whereas excellent source material will just sing.

Yesterday, Andy and I listened to the 45rpm vinyl of “Friday Night in San Francisco”. Well, I was absolutely blown away, the level of detail, the dynamic range, the realism was staggering, I don’t think that the system has ever sounded better. I made the comment that I have never had the sense of the three of them playing so quickly as I did yesterday (apart from when I’ve seen them live many years ago) I have the same album on 33rpm vinyl, CD and ripped CD. I thought I had a hi res version as well, but didn’t. Anyway, played the ripped version via Audirvana and it was lifeless by comparison, by a huge degree and the system sounded average. So, all of that resulted in more spending on source material, the 45 rpm vinyl version from Audiophile Reference Recordings and a DSD version from the US overnight (will listen to that shortly). At least the expenditure was nowhere near 56 grand! emoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

It’s a wonderful obsession, this never ending quest for audio nirvana

The important thing is not to get caught up in so called audiophile recordings that are labelled as such but rely upon respected people or websites that give honest assessments. I always look at the DR or dynamic range. That's your first clue as to compression ratings. 

As soon as someone starts talking vinyl is the best I switch off. There are just as good as there are shocking pressings out there. 

In this day and age you need to be prepared to source different mediums whether they be CD, vinyl etc. 

• Like 1

Guest Music monster

I got out of vinyl because of very poor quality pressings. I know the format is capable of excellent sound if you can get hold of a good lp pressing which is not easy to do. I listen mostly to sacds and won’t be getting back into vinyl unless high definition vinyl takes of which is supposed to be a big step up. Gary the music monster ?

13 minutes ago, Music monster said:

I got out of vinyl because of very poor quality pressings. I know the format is capable of excellent sound if you can get hold of a good lp pressing which is not easy to do. I listen mostly to sacds and won’t be getting back into vinyl unless high definition vinyl takes of which is supposed to be a big step up. Gary the music monster ?

Gary, I have been much the same with higher than redbook resolution formats. Have to say though, that Andy's 45 rpm LPs were sensational yesterday. Dead quiet, great dynamic range and lots of detail, the 3.7i's have rarely sounded better! cheers Malcolm

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mjs said:

Have to say though, that Andy's 45 rpm LPs were sensational yesterday. Dead quiet, great dynamic range and lots of detail, the 3.7i's have rarely sounded better! cheers Malcolm

I agree, Malcolm - your 3.7/ME850 combo sounded absoloootely superb!  :thumb:

Note: the 'dead quietness' was due to me having cleaned the LPs in my us tank.  :)

Andy

3 hours ago, mjs said:

Also considering the Three Blind Mice 45 rpm six LP box set for USD289 emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Nooo - Audiophile Reference Recordings has it for A320!  (On p17 of the 'Recent Arrivals' list.)

Andy

Just now, andyr said:

Nooo - Audiophile Reference Recordings has it for A320!  (On p17 of the 'Recent Arrivals' list.)

Andy

It lists it, but unfortunately it also says "out of stock" at ARR, no decision for the time being ?

You might need to call Charles and find out when stock may be available, if at all... 

I bought the very last TBM limited edition box set in April and only picked up last week Tues. It took me three months to get there since I was inundated with work, hence Charles may have listed "in" stock thinking I may not eventually pick up. There were also many other people clamouring for this limited edition box set and some were willing to pay more! But he held onto it for me and I eventually got there, along with purchasing 12 others. 

So just check with Charles what the go is, I don't think he's got any more since that was probably the last very limited edition. 

However, in regards to TBM label on 45rpm high quality recordings, he does have other albums from the Japanese trio which I also purchased the remaining lot. I'm sure he can get in more if you requested but these are not box sets, rather single or double LP's. 

It's a superb store and I will only purchase from him hereafter, no other place. The top quality is fully worth it! Your system deserves it! 

Cheers MJ, 

RJ ?

1 hour ago, Big Dog RJ said:

You might need to call Charles and find out when stock may be available, if at all... 

I bought the very last TBM limited edition box set in April and only picked up last week Tues. It took me three months to get there since I was inundated with work, hence Charles may have listed "in" stock thinking I may not eventually pick up. There were also many other people clamouring for this limited edition box set and some were willing to pay more! But he held onto it for me and I eventually got there, along with purchasing 12 others. 

So just check with Charles what the go is, I don't think he's got any more since that was probably the last very limited edition. 

However, in regards to TBM label on 45rpm high quality recordings, he does have other albums from the Japanese trio which I also purchased the remaining lot. I'm sure he can get in more if you requested but these are not box sets, rather single or double LP's. 

It's a superb store and I will only purchase from him hereafter, no other place. The top quality is fully worth it! Your system deserves it! 

Cheers MJ, 

RJ ?

Thanks RJ. I haven't been there yet and it looks like there is some great stock in general, particularly 45 rpm vinyl. I plan to visit next Sat. cheers MJS

• Like 1

Just on another note, I have now had a listen to "Friday Night in San Francisco" on DSD64 hi-res file now, compared to the redbook CD ripped file yesterday and the extremely excellent 45 rpm vinyl. Probably need the vinyl now to do a proper comparison, but the CD and DSD files are different. The CD file is slightly warmer and not bad, but the DSD file has a lot more detail and is a more involving listening experience, the quiet bits are quieter, better dynamic range perhaps, it just sounds like there are guitars in the room, uncanny, very satisfying.

And just following on from Andy's comment yesterday, and perhaps the original thrust of this thread, the ME850 does seem to drive the Maggies very well, effortless in fact. No complaints in that department. 

I do love Electrocompaniet stuff though and I and sure the NEMO would do a very good job, albeit at somewhat greater expense! 

9 minutes ago, mjs said:

Just on another note, I have now had a listen to "Friday Night in San Francisco" on DSD64 hi-res file now, compared to the redbook CD ripped file yesterday and the extremely excellent 45 rpm vinyl. Probably need the vinyl now to do a proper comparison, but the CD and DSD files are different. The CD file is slightly warmer and not bad, but the DSD file has a lot more detail and is a more involving listening experience, the quiet bits are quieter, better dynamic range perhaps, it just sounds like there are guitars in the room, uncanny, very satisfying.

And just following on from Andy's comment yesterday, and perhaps the original thrust of this thread, the ME850 does seem to drive the Maggies very well, effortless in fact. No complaints in that department. 

I do love Electrocompaniet stuff though and I and sure the NEMO would do a very good job, albeit at somewhat greater expense! 

Yes, agree with all this.  I have the DSD and flac 24/96 and the DSD is a little better - though not massively. I’ve heard Andy’s vinyl 45 on his system and it’s ridiculously good and, while I haven’t done a direct comparison with DSD on my system, I suspect the vinyl would be more engaging again.

33 minutes ago, mjs said:

If you want an extreme software upscaled version of the CD file, I can do it to any PCM level you like to see how that sounds - I guarantee you it will sound a lot better than the original CD rip. You just need to have a way to get the file to me. PM me if you're interested.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, buddyev said:

Yes, agree with all this.  I have the DSD and flac 24/96 and the DSD is a little better - though not massively. I’ve heard Andy’s vinyl 45 on his system and it’s ridiculously good and, while I haven’t done a direct comparison with DSD on my system, I suspect the vinyl would be more engaging again.

Why? 

You're showing bias here. Don't have any expectation and it may surprise you mate. 

I'm always inclined to think that the very best way to hear if there are any differences is to do a blind test. 

We really do go to great lengths to convince ourselves that our purchases yield the best results. 

Only a blind test will tell you so. 

"Friday night in San Francisco" - i must have listened to this album more than 50 times, but not in the last 20 yrs lol.

Big dog - are these 10 albums you bought remasters of things you allready have?

Can I commit sacrilege and suggest a streaming service like Tidal or Qobuz which have a large range of high quality recordings and virtually unlimited music. Use something like Roon radio with all the options and you will discover more and more unbelievable music. Your system wil sound better than ever.

6 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

If you want an extreme software upscaled version of the CD file, I can do it to any PCM level you like to see how that sounds - I guarantee you it will sound a lot better than the original CD rip. You just need to have a way to get the file to me. PM me if you're interested.

I would like to take you up on that mate. 

1 minute ago, AudioGeek said:

"Friday night in San Francisco" - i must have listened to this album more than 50 times, but not in the last 20 yrs lol.

Big dog - are these 10 albums you bought remasters of things you allready have?

Can I commit sacrilege and suggest a streaming service like Tidal or Qobuz which have a large range of high quality recordings and virtually unlimited music. Use something like Roon radio with all the options and you will discover more and more unbelievable music. Your system wil sound better than ever.

If they find it sacrilege then the problem lies somewhere between the ears and not the ears itself. 

Guest Music monster

I also own Friday night in San Francisco on sacd. Cart wait now to play it on my 30.7s. .gary the music monster ?

17 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Why? 

You're showing bias here. Don't have any expectation and it may surprise you mate. 

I'm always inclined to think that the very best way to hear if there are any differences is to do a blind test. 

We really do go to great lengths to convince ourselves that our purchases yield the best results. 

Only a blind test will tell you so. 

Why what?

This has nothing to do with my expectations. I don’t own the 45 - so how is that justifying my purchase?  I’ve heard Andy’s 45 quite a few times on his system and my own DSD, my own 25/96 flac files and my own 33 vinyl version many many many times over the years on my system.  I know the various versions and I know which I like best. 

Edited by buddyev