Magnepan Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Music monster

Yes mate there up against the side walls out of the way so I can use my other speakers. Gary the music monster ?

Yes, that's correct! 

Setting up was fairly easy, I've done over 50 of these and it brought back wonderful memories. Some good and not so good when dealing in the tropics... 

As the G-man has replied, he's waiting on Bill & Co to conduct their final touches in order to get these things working perfectly, which is what they really want... 

After having spent nearly half a 100 G's, the last thing Magnepan wants is an unhappy music monster ?

I believe at this point, they will be addressing several aspects:

1. Room interaction 

2. Bass response 

3. Optimal placement 

4. Further fine tuning 

After all this drama, heavy lifting and out of state travel, possibly overseas too, if the G-man is not happy with these, there are two things I will do, gladly... :

1. Take ownership of these straight away, no questions asked direct deal already paid for, Ha!

2. Probably stop talking to him... 

G-man, not to worry you'll be enjoying the ice-cream in no time! 

ice cream? A very good mate of mine said this whole saga is like giving a little boy his favourite ice-cream but then saying he cannot have it till next week or two... Oh darn? pun intended. 

only a joke G-man, take it easy mate, and you wont be disappointed. Trust me I know, cheers for now 

RJ?

Guest Music monster

Ha ha ha your funny bud , yes thanks very much for your help. Cheers gary the music monster ??

Guest Music monster

I will be using my Mcintosh mc 452 power mc46 pre mcd550 sacd player.chord reference signature xl speaker cables and audience au24 sx interconnects. Gary the music monster ?

Guest Music monster

I’m waiting for them to be set up and calibrated buy the manufacturer and dealer, only than you can listen to them.gary the music monster ?

1 hour ago, Gary janezic said:

I’m waiting for them to be set up and calibrated buy the manufacturer and dealer, only than you can listen to them.gary the music monster ?

?  WTF!

R U for real?

With that amount of money Id have no hesitation on setting them up and driving them constantly for a week,  find the sweet spot in the room, get use to the sound...… and when the 'manufacturer/dealer gets there to set them up, lets see how things improved....

But would would I know, I'm not the manufacturer/dealer!   ?

Guest Music monster

I certainly would love to but I need the cables to connect the two panels together, also the control dials for the bass panels have not being fitted yet, there’s quite abit of accessories that I have no idea what they are . They don’t even give you a manual until they are set up by the manufacturer and dealer. It’s only another week than they will be ready for a long listening session.gary the music monster ?

30 minutes ago, Gary janezic said:

I certainly would love to but I need the cables to connect the two panels together, also the control dials for the bass panels have not being fitted yet, there’s quite abit of accessories that I have no idea what they are . They don’t even give you a manual until they are set up by the manufacturer and dealer. It’s only another week than they will be ready for a long listening session.gary the music monster ?

I'll come over and set them up without the manual!   No problem   :thumb:

Guest Music monster

You can but we won’t get any sound out of them, bill has the cable to connect the panels together.? gary the music monster ?

20 minutes ago, Haztone said:

Yes Gary, what are you going to use to make them sing? Tony

On 08/05/2019 at 9:11 PM, Gary janezic said:

I will be using my Mcintosh mc 452 power mc46 pre mcd550 sacd player.chord reference signature xl speaker cables and audience au24 sx interconnects. Gary the music monster ?

These will be phonemomal speakers Gary. 

Give them time because it will take minimum 6 months to fully break in but they will be absolutely sublime. 

I saw Bill yesterday and had a good chat about all things music. 

Guest Music monster

Yes Ozzie I am expecting a sublime listening experience. Bill will be down next week and I finally get to hear them. Bill has being outstanding with his service and I look forward to meeting him. Cheers gary the music monster ?

• Volunteer
49 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Give them time because it will take minimum 6 months to fully break in but they will be absolutely sublime. 

6 months! Why?

They will sound outstanding from the get go but like all Maggie's they take time to break in. 

I found with my IIIAS it took minimum of 500 hours before one day they just seemed to hit the sweet spot after getting rewired. 

That's a very long burn-in time. They don't have a suspension like cone speakers so is it stretching of the mylar or kapton or whatever it is and the ribbons that take that long to stabilise? I guess the crossover components also burn in, but they wouldn't take any longer than a regular speaker's.

Edited by Ittaku

2 hours ago, ghost4man said:

Ive never heard the 1.7 “break-in”. 

And that’s comparing to 30+ yr old ribbons I have.   Maybe it’s just me,   Old and Deaf!   ?

Like I said minimum 600 hours for my IIIAS. 

You guys are missing the point here. They will sound marvellous on start up. They will sound even better after breaking in. 

These are reference speakers and are worth 55k. 

Wilson's reference speaker is 850k. I'd wager in a shoot out they would not be 800k better than the 30.7s

43 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

You guys are missing the point here. They will sound marvellous on start up.

No one said they wouldn't? We're just asking more details about the burn-in.

Guest Music monster

My 1.7i did sound excellent stright out of the box,but I only owned them for two weeks so I don’t know how much better they would have gotten. I have herd Maggie’s require a longer burn in period especially the 30.7s I think it’s because of the greater bass extension and the bigger size of the drivers.gary the music monster ?