FS: XLO Signature 3-10 US Plug Power Cords x 2 (Price Drop)

Item: XLO Signature 3 (TOTL) Power Cords x 2 (US Plug, IEC C15, 1.8m/6ft)
Price: A$1100 $900 each (US$1375rrp each)
Item Condition: 9/10 (minor signs of use, perfect working condition)
Reason for selling: Downsizing (see lots of my other gear also for sale)
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only. Can post.
Extra Info: Each cable is 6ft, and has 15A IEC. Two available.

The Signature 3 is at the very top end of the XLO line up. XLO don't try to compete with the uber expensive cables, but rather seek to win in the mid-upper market by providing high quality stuff at real world prices.

The XLO cables were a massive revelation for me. I upgraded from my Nordost Frey 2 power cable to the XLO Signature 3, and was a very happy camper. Couldn't believe the price/performance ratio.

The Sig-3 doesn't quite reach the heights of the much more expensive Valhalla 2... but for the price, it's a serious outperformer.

Also 6ft (1.8m) is a very nice length, and for power cables - the longer the better for SQ.

More info here:

https://www.thecableco.com/signature-3-10-power-cord.html 

Company spiel:

Signature 3 cables are expertly engineered to deliver exceptionally neutral sound, tight, powerful bass, and an engaging mid range with clean and extended highs. Hear more deeply and feel more connected to music than ever before!

XLO’s updated Signature 3 “quasi random”Field-Balanced™ surface/diving “exoskeleton” winding techniqueminimizes frequency-related phase-shiftas no conductor has a “normal” position within the grouping allowing XLO cables to work better with a greater number of components.

Core material & technology

Protected by U.S. PatentNumber 7,170,008

Field-Balanced Surface/Diving Winding Geometry™

Exclusive WaveLink™ technology

Treated 12 AWG UP-OCC lab-grade copper conductors

Double-shield/double ground design rejects EMI and RFI

Pictures:

20181124_101020.jpg

20181124_101029.jpg

20181124_101047.jpg

Edited by WedgeBiggs

Some additional info on the Signature 3 line, it is the real deal giant killer:

"XLO’s Signature 3 cables are one of the two holy grails of neutrality I’ve found so far. I have the highest regard for the Signature 3s, for their honesty and for their complete refusal to play games with the sound of my reference system. And I have great respect for XLO: they’ve chosen not to engage in pseudo-science or outright silliness to describe how or why their products are special. Even their advertising slogan, “Sounds like nothing at all,” is appropriate, and lacks any of the audio nonsense that some people seem to need to persuade them to even consider a purchase.  If you’re looking for neutrality, XLO Electric’s Signature 3s get my highest recommendation."

"What XLO has done with the Signature-3 is to keep it straight forward and simple. Use the finest quality materials, put them together with an astonishing quality feel and have them reproduce music in its purest form without coloration and fanfare. That has made it easy to make the Signature-3 my reference cables."

US plug, and yes it is the normal C14.
I have been using a US to AU converter to plug into the wall socket.

By all means guys,
correct me if I am wrong,
but I have been told that the amp or component end of an American lead is world wild universal polarity wise, how ever the wall plug end with American leads is reverse in their direction of the wiring.
So if a us to au plug adaptor doesnt reverse the wires for you, you will in fact not have continuity.
You will be running 240v down the neutral and neutral down the 240 terminal.
If you did this with a motor it would run in reverse.

A hifi component still works but it must have some issues???

1. I haven't had any issues

2. Now very common for people to US plug cords in Au

3. EDIT: awaiting comments from more qualified people re potential impact of reversing polarity on sound quality. I haven't used exact same cable with different plugs to see what it does to quality of music.

Edited by WedgeBiggs

I use US plugs into a

ps audio director 3.5 with its power switch nominated to 240v instead of 110v the director would be reversing the polarity within the ps unit and there should be no issue, but a simple adaptor doesnt do that ?

keen to get a more conclusive view. i have gone through the ps audio director's manual and haven't been able to find any proof of polarity reversal.

the literature i'm reading suggests that AC doesn't have polarity as it keeps switching directions.

Also I have moved on to having my power conditioner (P10) with US plugs, with an AU plug Valhalla 2 was feeding my P10 from the wall socket and my XLO Sig-3 US plugs were going from my P10 to my components. But previously the XLO were plugged directly into the wall sockets via adapter, and I had no issues.

These adapters are certified:

https://crest.com.au/brands/crest-travel-power

There is a risk if polarity is not changed that the appliance remains live even if turned off. It's more a safety issue than fundamentally whether it will power the units correctly or not (as AC current is constantly switching anyway, doesnt have constant polarity).

So, if I had to bet... the plugs you buy in Aussie shops (not china direct on eBay) correct the polarity for our needs.

Will call Korjo and confirm on Monday  as this is a bit of a public service project now as I've noticed several open threads over past years in SNA on the topic of polarity.

Edited by WedgeBiggs

@ paulrp

I have personal experience using power cords with USA plugs. I actually still use them. I can tell you that after 5 years of use I have had no issues.

Without going into a lot of possible side issues, if you use these power cords you need a power board that can accept US plugs, which is what I have done.

So

You do have a valid question as the US power cords at the US plug side apparantly has the wires connected differently to how it would be on an Australian plug.

Whilst I believe it is more a safety issue than anything else, I can't give you a straight answer. 

IMO it depends on: How are the wires connected on the plug and IEC side. If the wires just need to be changed on the US plug side it is a simple procedure for a qualified person. If it has to be changed on the IEC side as well - again a simple procedure.

But: then there is a further question: What happens in the powerboard? IMO one has to look at the whole chain: US plug into powerboard and then US plug into powerboard. In other words if it goes into the power board the right way and the powerboard swithesit around for the US plugs then there should be not an issue?

I have actually changed the wires around on my US plugs on some cables and could not hear a difference. (My ears are not the best so maybe there is a difference and I cannot hear a difference.)

If it is a major issue just replace the plug with an Aussie one. Furutech sells various versions and then you dont  need a powerboard either. That may be a much cheaper solution too.

• Like 1

Ac doesn't have polarity . 

Sweet jesus it goes back and forth.

Yeah we get: AC stands for
alternating current.
However If you swap over one end of a power cord and then plug in a power saw it will go in reverse, regardless of alternating current???
so, is there any effect to sound reproduction and the processing of it? Can it damage anything? Could it be dangerous?
Like mentioned: when components are turned off will they in fact be live?
I didn't mean to open a can of worms.
I am genuinely interested in this subject and didn't mean to turn a forsale into a forum subject.

I actually run 3 American xlo reference 2 leads myself.
I would like to say that the xlo power cords are exceptionally well insulated and are quality made!

I feel bad now, please someone buy these top shelf, awesome power leads (:

Ok.. bottom line is if you buy a drill from america, and you take it to oz.

After you use an adapter to our outlet it will go the same direction in both countries.

Some people have wired their houses up wrong and had reverse polarity. That will result in some serious prpblems.

• Like 1

Ok. I got official feedback from Korjo (who make the Korjo AA02):

1. Polarity and grounding ARE correctly changed by this connector, so using US plugs will be safe & allow the US cord to function as intended

2. The adapter does NOT change voltage. So you need to get a transformer, or make sure you only use units with 240V (our voltage)

Hopefully that helps. You can't do better at this price point, but happy to be a bit flexible on price for people wanting more than one item (can do a good deal if taking 2 x XLR pairs and 2 x power cables ... all from the XLO top of the line Signature 3 range).

• Like 1