Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
DavoDinkum25

Panasonic EZ950 feint square / lighting issue

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Wondering if anyone has seen this issue before, my new Panasonic EZ950 is giving a strange perfectly square lighting issue in the middle of the screen. A perfect square area comes off a different colour, or with less light. Noticed it when a cooking show was on, ran a screen test video on youtube and it is very noticeable on oranges, yellows and reds. Especially with solid colours. Sometimes the issues seems to present as tartan lines all over the screen. See images below, curious as to thoughts or if anyone else has experienced this.

 

I have had the TV for roughly 8 months. Paid $2,300 most places were after $2,700 so I did well. I'm really bewildered by this, did so much research and forked out money for a premium TV and this happened so soon?

IMG_20181122_222048.thumb.jpg.4a9ac1588f93af67fed029e907cd1f29.jpgIMG_20181122_222059.thumb.jpg.31cefa9581fe1d91d7e8483fe676978a.jpg

Have contacted Panasonic Australia so will see what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a lot like something that was seen at RTINGS .com when testing OLEDs for burn in . Something to do with the manufacturing process . Not sure if its the same thing .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have this model TV, but I have seen in other forums that owners of the FZ950 have had a problem that looks very, very similar.

Apparently the rectangle shows up after the TV has done its automatic long term (after x amount of hours) maintenance/compensation cycle - rather than being a burn in or image retention problem.

I don't know if the EZ series also does this maintenance procedure or even if this model suffers the same problem.

 

Has your TV run a compensation cycle recently?

I think somewhere in TV settings there is diagnostic info available????

 

Supposedly there was a bad manufacturing batch of panels (made by LG but used by many different TV manufacturers) at one time.

Newer/replaced panels do not suffer the issue.

Manufacturers have become aware of this problem and may replace/repair the TV for you.

You can probably search for more specific details and solutions.

Manually running another forced maintenance cycle may fix the problem (worked for some people, though others have reported it did not help at all).

 

Hope this helps and you can sort it out soon.

Cheers.

 

 

Edited by abeernut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

 

Yes, I contacted Panasonic straight away and sent them the same photos. It is funny that you mention the panel maintenance process, this reminder flashed up just last week, probably a day or two before I noticed this issue! That's too much of a coincidence for it to not be the cause like you have suggested. 

 

I am waiting on Panasonic to call me back, but will mention this and see how I go. 

 

Thanka again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


If you watch the video review [link below] of the Panasonic EZ1000 by HDTVTest, go to 21.44 of the video and you will see that Victor has worked out how to read the otherwise cryptic numbers on the TV, and what they mean.

That will allow you to have a better idea of what has/is going on with your TV regarding cycle maintenance.

 

Basically go to the menu page> Help > System Information.

There you will get a list of numbers. Status 4 will show the amount of hours you TV has been used, and Status 8 [If your TV has status 8] will show how many times a maintenance cycle has been started and the next set of numbers after it will show how many maintenance cycles were actually completed.

 

I've just had a look at my Panasonic EX780a [previous model to your EZ950], and it doesn't have a status 8, so I'm sort of in the dark about what the position of my TV is.

All I know is it been used for just over 3500 hours in a year, OUCH!

 

Edited by Tweaky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tweaky, I believe only OLED TVs have (require) compensation cycles.

Hence maybe why no Status 8 for our EX LCD models.

 

Also (some of?) the numbers are in hexadecimal format. So need to be converted to regular decimal numbers to make any sense of.

(I have previously seen a link/reference to an online converter to help with this if needed).

 

Hopefully Davo gets his problem quickly sorted out by Panasonic. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, abeernut said:

Tweaky, I believe only OLED TVs have (require) compensation cycles.

Hence maybe why no Status 8 for our EX LCD models.

 

Also (some of?) the numbers are in hexadecimal format. So need to be converted to regular decimal numbers to make any sense of.

(I have previously seen a link/reference to an online converter to help with this if needed).

 

Hopefully Davo gets his problem quickly sorted out by Panasonic. 

 

 

One of the first things Victor mentions in the video is that the numbers on the TV's are in hexadecimal format, he then goes on and deciphers them.

 

Hex to text convertor

http://www.unit-conversion.info/texttools/hexadecimal/

Hex to base 10 convertor

https://www.binaryhexconverter.com/hex-to-decimal-converter

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2018 at 3:17 PM, Tweaky said:

If you watch the video review [link below] of the Panasonic EZ1000 by HDTVTest, go to 21.44 of the video and you will see that Victor has worked out how to read the otherwise cryptic numbers on the TV, and what they mean.

That will allow you to have a better idea of what has/is going on with your TV regarding cycle maintenance.

 

Basically go to the menu page> Help > System Information.

There you will get a list of numbers. Status 4 will show the amount of hours you TV has been used, and Status 8 [If your TV has status 8] will show how many times a maintenance cycle has been started and the next set of numbers after it will show how many maintenance cycles were actually completed.

 

I've just had a look at my Panasonic EX780a [previous model to your EZ950], and it doesn't have a status 8, so I'm sort of in the dark about what the position of my TV is.

All I know is it been used for just over 3500 hours in a year, OUCH!

 

 

Hey tweaky 

How'd you figure out the 3500hrs bit. How'd you convert the number?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hi all, thanks for the input and sorry for late reply.

 

After some classic call centre customer service (Panasonic told me to contact repairer to book job and repairer told me to contact Panasonic) I managed to get the TV fixed. 

 

Panasonic wouldn't advise if the issue was common or confirm if it was a result of the maintenance cycle. They didn't even tell the repairer, all they did after repairer confirmed issue was to send a firmware update for one specific piece of hardware (different to OS firmware and unable to be updated by user).

 

After it was updated all seems to be fixed. So my assumption is it is common, otherwise they wouldn't have a fix for it and so quick to know what it was, although I can imagine some people wouldn't even complain if they weren't tech nerds.

 

Any way all fixed. Was a lot of hassle, especially as I had just mounted on wall and hidden cables behind wall down to xbox and soundbar etc... not an easy job with a tv that has a hard wired power cable of short length!

 

Cheers all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DavoDinkum25 said:

Hi all, thanks for the input and sorry for late reply.

 

After some classic call centre customer service (Panasonic told me to contact repairer to book job and repairer told me to contact Panasonic) I managed to get the TV fixed. 

 

Panasonic wouldn't advise if the issue was common or confirm if it was a result of the maintenance cycle. They didn't even tell the repairer, all they did after repairer confirmed issue was to send a firmware update for one specific piece of hardware (different to OS firmware and unable to be updated by user).

 

After it was updated all seems to be fixed. So my assumption is it is common, otherwise they wouldn't have a fix for it and so quick to know what it was, although I can imagine some people wouldn't even complain if they weren't tech nerds.

 

Any way all fixed. Was a lot of hassle, especially as I had just mounted on wall and hidden cables behind wall down to xbox and soundbar etc... not an easy job with a tv that has a hard wired power cable of short length!

 

Cheers all. 

I suspect it might have had something to do with the menu system, combined with the after effects of a maintenance cycle, as the panels run top to bottom, if it was a panel problem I think it would have run down the whole screen center.

Looks almost like the lighter coloured area on the TV is showing 'Window'd Pattern' from a extended desktop, similar to how it would look if you were calibrating the TV with a meter where the problem area appears, probably something to do with the 'Mirroring' feature the software used to support.

http://eng-ca.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51641/~/how-do-i-use-the-mirroring-app-on-my-tv%3F

Panasonic TV's menu system is based on a opensource Mozilla code, that Mozilla no longer works on, so I guess Panasonic's own software people must know of the problem and have written a fix.....pity there was no info given so others that find they are suffering the same problem would be able to find out it was fixable and not freak out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...