Sign in to follow this  
blakey72

Best Confronting/Controversial Movies....

On 23/12/2018 at 11:55 AM, GSO-ROB said:

It's a "left wing" fantasy propaganda dystopian reality of the highest order

😂🤣.....Oh dear....a believer in fake news.😜

I think we know who is living in a fake news 'fantasy'.'

Fake news' is like a fart. Those who deny it, supply it.

The Baby of Macon - another twisted creation of Peter Greenaway

Naked Lunch written by William Burroughs

Re-animator (1985)

My favourite movie.... The Power Of One

Most confronting/controversial for me would be The Exorcist.

For anyone my age, seeing that for the first time in the cinema way back in the early 70's it was a movie that shocked and scared the pants off you. The special effects had never been seen before and the central religious theme was controversial in the extreme(for the times).

At the Bourke St cinema I remember people walking out, indeed almost running out and people throwing up in the toilets and people standing around in the foyer looking ashen faced.

It was that kind of a movie and even now I can feel the eeriness and sense of shock that many of the pivotal scenes induced, beginning with Regan standing in her nightie pi*sing herself and then of course the famous scenes as her possession by The Devil intensified.

Nominations for 10 oscars says an awful lot about the quality of this movie.

9 minutes ago, Luc said:

Most confronting/controversial for me would be The Exorcist.

all these years later it sure gave me the heebeegeebees, for anyone wanting to watch or revisit, its worth getting hold of the 40th anniversary edition if can, 

Hmmm never had that reaction with the Exorcist then and now...

Though one film did raise the hairs on the back of my neck was Bettlejuice when he wanders down into the underworld...

17 minutes ago, betty boop said:

all these years later it sure gave me the heebeegeebees, for anyone wanting to watch or revisit, its worth getting hold of the 40th anniversary edition if can, 

Hadn't realised you'd done a thread on this Al, I just had a quick read and I'm glad to see many peeps had the same views/reaction to it as I did. Indeed even seeing it at the same cinema complex  @🌛  (go back to being Zen, Zen! a lot easier)

I remember this movie as a child, I never got to see it back then as was too young

I laughed at that! You young whipper snipper you!

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, betty boop said:

double post

Edited by Luc

24 minutes ago, BLAH BLAH said:

Hmmm never had that reaction with the Exorcist then and now...

Though one film did raise the hairs on the back of my neck was Bettlejuice when he wanders down into the underworld...

I think a lot of people my age had the same reactions as me because everything about the movie was new, the SFX had never been seen before and the depiction of the Devil inhabiting Regan was just so real. They probably look a bit ho hum now I guess.

This is what the artist formerly known as Zen Meister thought of it and he's only a little bit older than me(well he looks  older than me...😝)

How times have changed, and how hardened we have become.

I saw "THE EXORCIST" during its first week of showing in a cinema in Bourke Street, long since gone.

To say it merely shook up the audience would be an understatement. At certain points during the showing, there would be a steady stream of people heading for the exits. For those that lasted the distance, there was a shocked and hushed silence in the theatre at the end.

I am of two minds about the ' little ' extras done with the Directors Cut. For those not in the know, watch for the demonic faces hidden in the kitchen scenes. What possessed them to cut the spider walk from the original edition, demons only know.

Al, I agree, the sound design is excellent. But to this day, I cannot hear the opening bars of TUBULAR BELLS without being sucked back in time.

The sequel sucked bigtime, but part three has one of the best 'blink and you miss it ' five seconds of cinema terror I have ever seen.

The prequel, from 2005, directed by Paul Schrader was called " DOMINION" and I rate it very highly.

Last thought: I have never thought of " THE EXORCIST " as a horror film. To me, it is a supernatural thriller.

ZM.

Posted (edited)

@Luc

Edited by Yngvi

1 minute ago, Yngvi said:

@Luc

You numpty.

Just now, Luc said:

You numpty.

You called !

@betty boop  The people leaving Al, that's my abiding memory of it and...I was one of them. I forgot to mention it took me 3 goes to see it in it's entirety and the third go was at the Drive In!

Cat People - 1982 - Cat People is a 1982 American erotic horror film directed by Paul Schrader. It stars Nastassja Kinski and Malcolm McDowell; John Heard, ... this film was pretty confronting - amazing theme song though by David Bowie