Sign in to follow this  
powerinnumbers

Dolby ATMOS . The price of admission

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Most people seem to be concluding that dolby upmixing is working quite well.    I'd suspect something is up with your situation specifically.     Especially if it's 5.1/7.1 to atmos .....  I could understand if you said you didn't like stereo to full atmos, or something (more likely to be you just don't like it, etc.)

.... but I reckon if 7.1 upmixed to atmos sounds weird (or significantly worse), then there's a problem.

Maybe it's just my preferences. I spent quite a few hours trying to find the best setting for Dolby Atmos and Dolby true HD7.1. In most cases 7.1 sounded best with ceiling speakers disabled. I only use "straight" setting, I don't like unnecessary processing. 

17 hours ago, hakka69 said:

http://crowsontech.com/

One of the best upgrades you can make to a HT system. Can be added onto pretty much any HT system, doesn't need a fancy AVR or software support.

Hmm, that sounds pretty good.

Anyone have a recommended source for them?

59 minutes ago, hakka69 said:

Hmm, they don't seem to sell, and their list of where to buy is empty when you put in crowson.  Edit: OK I see they sell direct now. The pages google took me to didn't show it.

EDIT: Ouch, $4800 plus shipping for a three seater!!!!

Edited by Mobe1969

6 hours ago, Irek said:

. I only use "straight" setting, I don't like unnecessary processing. 

In that case your not upmixing anyway ; ''straight'' is just the bitstream which is fair enough as some like only what the directors intent was  .   DSU splits the frequencies up into packets rather than the whole lot so steering is more precise than earlier versions 

The Dolby Surround upmixer is based on phase and gain relationships of elements in the signal, but importantly employs wideband functionality that analyzes and processes multiple perceptually spaced frequency bands in the signal. The benefit is a finer-grained analysis of the source content prior to steering.

4 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Hmm, they don't seem to sell, and their list of where to buy is empty when you put in crowson.  Edit: OK I see they sell direct now. The pages google took me to didn't show it.

As mentioned and endorsed by many avs'ers :) https://www.pagnianimports.com.au/buttkicker-products/buttkicker-lfe.html

5 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Lots of users on AVS are using behringer amps to power them, a lot cheaper than the crowson amp.

i don’t think you’ll need 4 actuators for a 3 seater, 2 might be enough, possibly 3 (single actuators are sold on the crowson usa site but not shown on oceanic distribution)

Edited by hakka69

37 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

That actually looks to me like a nicer solution, and I could just build it into the couch.

Some nice immersion :) Would be remiss of me not to mention the considerably upmarket clever actuator system that's enabled by disc metadata from Wavetrain  https://www.wavetrain.com.au/dbox-seats-australia/

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By flipswitch
      Hi,
      I’m a bit confused about this now, because I’ve gotten different answers.

I am using the HDMI arc connection ( it’s the only HDMI out) (Denon avr-x1600h) connected to the HDMI arc on my tv ( Panasonic fz950 OLED  (which is full bandwidth)

I have my 4K blu ray player and PS4 Pro connected to my avr HDMI ports.

When I’m playing a 4K movie with Atmos on my blu-ray player, am I getting it down-converted to something lower quality, or full lossless atmos?

I understand that playing something from my tv, eg the Netflix app, I wont be able to get Atmos.

Eg;

When playing a movie with atmos connected to the  HDMI ARC port of my tv, my AVR says Dolby Atmos – True HD.

Now when playing it on the HDMI non arc port, it says the say thing, Dolby Atmos -True HD.

Everything sounds the same.
    • By ExCaLiBur9
      Hi guys. Another help me choose thread. I am currently building my house and planning to have a 5.2.2 setup in my theatre room. Room measurements are 4240mm X 3080mm, ground floor of a 2 storey home in Sydney North West. My current speakers are all Richter MK4 speakers. Have not decided on a AV Receiver yet as the build still have a few months to go but leaning towards a Sony STR-DN1080. Usage would be 80% movies and 20% music. I am looking to get a pair of ceiling speakers for atmos use. My budget is around $500 but can be stretched if necessary. Any suggestions on ceiling speakers that I should look into, which would be a match for my current setup?

Reading through some other forums, I am considering the below, but this is only based on my limited research.

1. https://www.selby.com.au/pair-of-8in-angled-glass-fibre-ceiling-speakers-xd8205b-x2.html
      2. https://www.customht.com.au/products/ns-ic800?variant=14009024544820&currency=AUD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAj-_xBRBjEiwAmRbqYqUTjJD_qtRPY4ljtjTx-S0A6j8l8A5j_XWP0sUXE43JjFZ6SquQbxoC5rYQAvD_BwE

Appreciate any help. Thank you. 
    • By superaaaa
      Item: Denon AVC-X8500B
      Price: $4000 $3800 + shipping
      Item Condition: Excellent (1.5 years old – but has been boxed for last 5 months)
      Reason for selling: Moved house with no room for theatre ☹
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info

Denon’s flagship AVR with 13.2 channels. Allows for a very flexible arrangement with 9.2.4, 7.2.6 ATMOS, DTS-X or Auro layouts.

The 13 channels are fully amplified, so an external amp is not required to fully use all channels.

Comes with all documents and accessories. Have original box, so shipping is an option (fyi this thing is not light).

If you search my name, you’ll see details of my previous system(s) so know that I am an enthusiast. Rest assured when I say this is a quality and very capable product. I was extremely happy with the Denon. If I still had my system, I would have happily kept it until it died (with the only reason to change out being going to a higher channel count).

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By shazza6887
      Item:  Denon X4500H + Emotiva BasX A150,  7.2.4 Atmos / DTS-X  Capability
      Price:  $2700
      Item Condition: As new!
      Reason for selling: Upgrading to Pre/Pro Setup
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal,
      Extra Info:

Items are as new, only used for a couple of months. As stated above wanting to upgrade to a Pre/Pro setup for my dedicated home theatre. Have all boxes, plastics etc - kept everything. Will be boxed up like they are brand new! Reciever has been cooled by a AC infinity from day 1, I ran my full 7.2.4 setup with these with no problems and it sounded great. Pm for further.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By countcrisp
      It
      Item: Pioneer SC-LX901  &  SC-LX701
      Price: $3000 & $2000
      Item Condition:  New BNIB
      Reason for selling: no longer needed
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

New Pioneer SC-LX901 and Pioneer SC-LX701 AV Receivers. Brand new in box never used or taken out of box.

Was going to use them in various rooms but have gone in another direction.

Pioneer SC-LX901  $2750

Pioneer SC-LX701  $1750

Shipping Aust wide can be organised if needed