Dolby ATMOS . The price of admission

9 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Most people seem to be concluding that dolby upmixing is working quite well.    I'd suspect something is up with your situation specifically.     Especially if it's 5.1/7.1 to atmos .....  I could understand if you said you didn't like stereo to full atmos, or something (more likely to be you just don't like it, etc.)

.... but I reckon if 7.1 upmixed to atmos sounds weird (or significantly worse), then there's a problem.

Maybe it's just my preferences. I spent quite a few hours trying to find the best setting for Dolby Atmos and Dolby true HD7.1. In most cases 7.1 sounded best with ceiling speakers disabled. I only use "straight" setting, I don't like unnecessary processing. 

59 minutes ago, hakka69 said:

Hmm, they don't seem to sell, and their list of where to buy is empty when you put in crowson.  Edit: OK I see they sell direct now. The pages google took me to didn't show it.

EDIT: Ouch, $4800 plus shipping for a three seater!!!!

Edited by Mobe1969

6 hours ago, Irek said:

. I only use "straight" setting, I don't like unnecessary processing. 

In that case your not upmixing anyway ; ''straight'' is just the bitstream which is fair enough as some like only what the directors intent was  .   DSU splits the frequencies up into packets rather than the whole lot so steering is more precise than earlier versions 

The Dolby Surround upmixer is based on phase and gain relationships of elements in the signal, but importantly employs wideband functionality that analyzes and processes multiple perceptually spaced frequency bands in the signal. The benefit is a finer-grained analysis of the source content prior to steering.

4 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Hmm, they don't seem to sell, and their list of where to buy is empty when you put in crowson.  Edit: OK I see they sell direct now. The pages google took me to didn't show it.

As mentioned and endorsed by many avs'ers :) https://www.pagnianimports.com.au/buttkicker-products/buttkicker-lfe.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Lots of users on AVS are using behringer amps to power them, a lot cheaper than the crowson amp.

i don’t think you’ll need 4 actuators for a 3 seater, 2 might be enough, possibly 3 (single actuators are sold on the crowson usa site but not shown on oceanic distribution)

Edited by hakka69
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

That actually looks to me like a nicer solution, and I could just build it into the couch.

Some nice immersion :) Would be remiss of me not to mention the considerably upmarket clever actuator system that's enabled by disc metadata from Wavetrain  https://www.wavetrain.com.au/dbox-seats-australia/

• Like 1