shueardm1

Dolby ATMOS . The price of admission

One extra feature. 5 thousand bucks!!!

That's the ridiculous price tag I have come to realise for my own circumstance in order to add Dolby and DTS 3D audio.

It's out of the question and it makes me pretty unhappy that I have to force myself to ignore the want. Sure, if I was a high income earner I'd be dedicated to spend that and maybe even more - because I want it!! Alas, my family deserve me to spend the money on them and not another set of home theatre upgrades.

Now let me explain why I put a 5 grand price on this. Before hand though, I might just add that I have ZERO interest in adding Dolby Vision, HDMI 2.1, HDCP 2.2 video switching features, am totally happy feeding HDMI cables to the TV with the video and one HDMI from the SONY X800 to the pre-amp for audio as I currently do with just one toslink coming back from the TV digital output when using Foxtel, Chromecast or inbuilt TV apps. I know I will get these extra benefits with any new components but it's not a value to me I would choose to pay extra for because we like having just the TV on from time to time ya know, don't need 1000W to watch TV.

I currently run 7.1 with all VAF speakers and have an old but high quality Integra pre-amp DCH 9.9 , 1x Yamaha receiver ( RX-V1) used for 5 ch power and 1 x Yamaha (RX-V3000) for surround back power, so I do not wish to spend money and go backwards on quality, there's the biggest problem. How do I upgrade just one feature for a fair price without going backwards.

Sure, I could get a Black Friday special 7.2 ch AV receiver for maybe a grand and run 5.1.2 ( boring) and there's my ATMOS> No thanks, those entry level or even mid level units are a step backwards in power and quality of power. What really upsets me is that these low to mid tier units do not have pre-outs OR if they do have pre-outs they never have enough pre-outs. If you want 7.1.4 the manufacturers FORCE you into the very high end receiver market or the separates market and you need 3 grand plus JUST TO ADD ATMOS to an existing capable 7.1 system. Why can't they make a sub $1000 receiver with low power amps or just 7 or 9  channels but at least have 11 channel pre-outs? 

If I am going to do something I am going to do it right, that means 7.1.4 and that means my cheapest option is the Marantz SR 6013 plus my existing RX-V1 to drive at least 2 channels. ( id probably drive 5 from it ). It also means I need 2 sets of quality height speakers ( $2 k ) and accessories, 5 k all up.

I know a lot of people would say get  cheaper speakers but I don't want the new feature to be the low point, from what I have read I would not be happy with 2 height channels either and best to go 4 up top?

Sorry if my whining is hard to understand. I just can't play with the big boys like I was hoping to.

Edited by shueardm1

Seriously !  - You define your "needs" and "wants" - if you think you need $2k  speakers for some added sound effects, fair enough, some of us spend more than that on a 2m pair of speaker cable, some spend that on a whole system  -  but its not "required" it  is at "want".  

You have a system built around an AV pre pro, that is by definition a mid to high end system  so updating / replacement with like for like will cost.  Most low to mid range AV receivers have no, or reduced, pre outs because 99% of owners will never use them. 

Edited by Chill3

No one is forcing you to upgrade. If you are happy with what you have currently, leave it that way.

If ATMOS is a must have feature for you, do what I did; purchase the Yamaha RX-A 3080 AVR Receiver (11 channel Pre-out decoding, 9 channels amplied internally). The Receiver is a brand new model, and cost me less than $2,500 for the unit itself. I also bought Paradigm Pro Height Channels (4 in total for less than $1,300); they run same tweeter as the prestige series in my surround channels so are a good match. You can use your current Yamaha AMP to power some of the channels, and let the AVR do the rest.

So for less than $4K, you have a great receiver and surely you can get roof speakers for less than 2K (I certainly did).

Edited by minireza

Yea hard keeping up with the Jones’

just re adjust your expectations to meet your budget.

Yea hard keeping up with the Jones’

Now, now.. leave me out of it.. .

I would also approach a reseller and ensure you get a demo of some movies with only the atmos speakers enabled.

Unless the receiver is doing upmixing and actual object based decoding all the set-up can actually ending being is more channels that only see a sound when signal is sent to them.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, Chill3 said:

Seriously !  - You define your "needs" and "wants" -

etc etc

I don't really see a point you're trying to make other than you think I should shutup. 

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, minireza said:

No one is forcing you to upgrade. If you are happy with what you have currently, leave it that way.

I know. I wasn't after money :)

If ATMOS is a must have feature for you, do what I did; purchase the Yamaha RX-A 3080 AVR Receiver

Ill keep my eyes on this model but I probably prefer a pre-pro 

surely you can get roof speakers for less than 2K (I certainly did).

I could but would it be balanced or cheap that is ( my ) question to answer I guess

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, joz said:

That means going backwards in audio quality that's my whole point. You enter in the game with a higher end pre-pro than an AV Receiver and you end up stuck, having huge upgrade costs or going backwards.

It's a statement people, I am not complaining to you like the world owes me something :)

I have set my room for Atmos. 

The more 4K blue ray titles I have bought  and watched, the more I am convinced it is a big step up in sound quality.

It does take some significant effort and time to set up